Meter readings not being sent

Level 92
    @UKMark1203

Not sure... I don't have, and can't have a smart meter so I really have no real idea what the IHD can and can't do. I get everything I need from my manual readings and my Excel spreaadsheets!
    @theunknowntech may be able to give more insight as he knows about these things.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 78
    It should show standing charges and unit rates for all active meters where available. :)

If these are available, then the displayed costs will reflect them too.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 6
    @theunknowntech
    Thanks for the confirmation. It certainly looks like the standing charge is included.

Also EON Support has e-mailed back saying that they have passed our problem on to somebody as it appears our connection should be working ok, WAN, HAN and PWR lights are all green etc.
    Community Team
    Hey @UKMark1203,

Thanks for posting, I'm glad someone is looking into this for you. Please pop us an update and let us know how you got on once it's been resolved 😊
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
    Level 6
    Hey @UKMark1203,

Thanks for posting, I'm glad someone is looking into this for you. Please pop us an update and let us know how you got on once it's been resolved 😊

Strange thing - smart readings still not being taken, but yesterday we had a visit from a meter-reader - first time in many years - seems like technology is moving backwards and not forwards. He came in and took the Gas reading only. Did not take any elec reading??

These smart meters are pretty dumb!

EDIT: A couple of days later and that manual meter reading still not showing up on our account. I wonder if they use the same non-functioning network as the smart meters use to submit the meter readings 😏 (very much tongue in cheek). Does anybody know if other companies have the same smart meter issues, or is this specific to EON?? I'm thinking of changing just to get smart meter readings working again if the tariffs are identical. It's pathetic how these smart meter issues are not resolved - especially when (as in our case), they were working without any issues for a few years.
    Last edited by UKMark1203; 09-11-22 at 21:51.
    Level 92
    @UKMark1203

Agree With you 100%. But the rollout of so called smart metering is an EU Directive...need I say any more. It would save punters and energy companies an absolute fortune if the whole shooting match was scrapped now we are out. Although several billions have already been wasted, that's par for the course with any badly thought out scheme.

If the UK had gone down it's own path using Power Line Communications instead of the schonky reliance on already obsolete GSM technology and having to manage it all through DCC, we'd be in a far better place. Stuff would just 'work' and would have cost half of what has been spent on the rollout.

But it is what it is. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...but by the time that kicks in, it's usually too late!
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Yes indeed, but we're not in the EU anymore!

And 80% of electricity meters were supposed to be smart by 2020 - so that's another target they missed.

If we were in the EU they'd be dragging us to the ECJ now.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie

Yes indeed, but we're not in the EU anymore!

Exactly. The really annoying thing is the the UK sucked up to the EU rather more than most other countries did! And a lot of the smart meters that did roll out, ain't so smart anymore, it would appear judging by half the punters on here!

Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-11-22 at 17:44.
    Level 6
    The meter-reader's reading from his visit last week (7/11/22) is now showing up on our account. Weird that he did not take an electricity reading - just the gas. I have chased up again about why smart readings are not working and received a reply saying that they were still looking into it.
    Level 92
    The meter-reader's reading from his visit last week (7/11/22) is now showing up on our account. Weird that he did not take an electricity reading - just the gas.

Why do you think that's weird? In all my life I've never had a meter reader take both. One or the other, even in the days of dual fuel with the same supplier.. Anyway, your gas is up to date. Can you submit, or have you been submitting your own electric readings? Yes? No real need to read the meter, if they are happy enough with your readings. Next time, they'll read your electric, but not the gas!

We have the same meter reader round here for both water and electric. The readers are subcontracted. You would think they'd read all the meters in one property at the same time, yes? No, it's not very 'joined up' thinking. Water annually, electrics anywhere between 18 and 24 months, but never coinciding. Still, more money for them, higher standing charges for us....win-win, not!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 14-11-22 at 23:55.