Is there any logical reason to deny customers access to an Economy 7 Meter?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    EDF offer economy 7 rates of nighttime electricity as low as 6.9p and up to 16.95 p per kWh which is very low compared to current daytime rates.

Why can't Eon next customers have economy 7 meters when they request them?

Policy isn't a good answer. As I understand it all smart meters can deal with economy 7 - so what is the true situation? If Eon really wanted to help its customers, making economy 7 more widespread would be a real help.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 33 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Manager
    Best Answer
    @Taff7996 Anasa here 👋 I would say it down to the capabilities of the Smets1 meter they don't all have the functionality needed but we are working on upgrading them where we can, we are in the process of replacing with Smart meters 2. I would check back again next year nearer your Tariff end date to see if there has been any updates 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Your post is now showing on Questions to Answer so I thought I'd save you from replying to your own question. You never know... you may get an official response from someone at Eon Next if we keep this thread near the top.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I have an explanation.

E.On Next don't have the functionality to switch a single rate smart meter to dual rate remotely (whether this is because the meters don't have economy 7 functionality built in or for some other reason isn't known) and therefore the E7 tariff cannot be put in place without uninstalling the current meter and replacing with a new one, at a cost to either the customer or the business, which isn't fair on the customer or sustainable for the business. Until E.On Next have that functionality built into the system, they have decided as a business to not offer it. Perhaps other suppliers do have that capability. I'm surprised that E.On Next don't have this capability as they are the largest electricity supplier in the UK.

So if you don't already have a smart meter try to make sure that your smart meter will be E7 capable when it is installed. Perhaps @theunknowntech would like to advise on whether only some electricity smart meters are E7 capable.
    Level 78
    They should ALL be capable of at least basic E7 functionality. However, only certain meters have support for full functionality - and the Landis+Gyr E470 definitely isn't one of them! You want something like an Aclara SGM1412-B, Aclara SGM1415-B or Aclara SGM1416-B for that.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 9
    I want to go onto Eco 7 in March 2023 (when my fixed tarriff ends) but because i have a SMETS1 smart meter E'on next insist that I pay £157 to change/update my meter.

My meter was installed by E'on in 2016, the meter is capable TOU (Secure Liberty 100) but E'on can't or won't activate this remotely.
    Level 6
    Is there any update from EON being able to remotely update my Secure Liberty 100 smart meter to Dual reading? Other suppliers can do it ie Octopus. It isn't economically viable for me to pay £157 to have it changed nor is it environmentally acceptable. I would like to to have the ability to charge my solar battery over night during the night using cheap electricity so will be looking at other suppliers if EON aren't up to the job.
    Level 91
    Is there any update from EON being able to remotely update my Secure Liberty 100 smart meter to Dual reading? Other suppliers can do it ie Octopus. It isn't economically viable for me to pay £157 to have it changed nor is it environmentally acceptable. I would like to to have the ability to charge my solar battery over night during the night using cheap electricity so will be looking at other suppliers if EON aren't up to the job.

I don't know your intentions, and I stand to be corrected, but I don't think the object of off-peak electricity is to use it to charge a battery and then use the cheap stored energy from that to replace the dearer electricity you would otherwise pay for during peak times. If that was allowed then it would be great... but I don't think it is.
    Level 92
    @digger

The Liberty Secure 100 is an SMETS1 smart meter which has the ability to be configured as either a credit meter to a PAYG meter via an SMETS1 configuration command. In theory, as the meter supports TOU, it should support E7 dual tariff operation but not through remote configuration. That is easily facilitated by SMETS2 meters, but not the Liberty 100. It requires an engineer visit to reprogram the meter or the meter changing for a newer unit to swap it from single rate to E7.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    @JoeSoap My intension is during low solar energy to charge my battery during the day, during winter. Then to use my stored battery power during the following morning in my home. So charging my battery at cheap rate during the night relieves the grid in the morning at peak times. My system does not allow the export of brown energy from the battery. This is common practice with Octopus.