How to remove a smart meter in a new build?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    @geoffers No, I'm typing it on a mobile at the moment.

Actually, for a mobile device, I use a privacy respecting operating system called GrapheneOS. It doesn't run any Google/Apple services, or applications. It's highly secure, and privacy respecting.

I don't, and haven't used anything Google/Apple, or big tech related products in over a decade for some of the reasons I've previously outlined.

Arguably, big corporations pose a larger threat than governments. I agree, people do seem to get hung up on government interference, and carry on using services that destroy their privacy, and manipulate their lives without their knowledge.
    Level 29
    @geoffers No, I'm typing it on a mobile at the moment.

Actually, for a mobile device, I use a privacy respecting operating system called GrapheneOS. It doesn't run any Google/Apple services, or applications. It's highly secure, and privacy respecting.

I don't, and haven't used anything Google/Apple, or big tech related products in over a decade for some of the reasons I've previously outlined.

Arguably, big corporations pose a larger threat than governments. I agree, people do seem to get hung up on government interference, and carry on using services that destroy their privacy, and manipulate their lives without their knowledge.
    I agree pretty much with your mindset ... unfortunately the whole internet "thing" has the potential to destroy freedom & democracy as we know it.

It's now too late to worry about it on a personal level, so might as well take advantage of the positives and just hope the worst-case negatives aren't too bad.

Just revisiting "TheComingStorm", which shows how bad the t'internet is in distorting reality https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bc3rjy
    Level 6
    @geoffers the internet on a mainstream level is most certainty dead. It's full of festering advertising, polarizing content to garner eyeballs to sell too, and a lot of bad actors trying to manipulate the masses.

However, there is a vibrant, and growing subculture that isn't like that. Decentralised, and no big corporation that controls it all. It reminds me of how the internet used to be.

If I were a corporate / government entity I would be quite concerned people are shying away from the big platforms. After all, how will I get my messages across? State media would be a good thing to use to try and get the ones still in my grip to stay, I guess?

P.s., don't let people tell you there is nothing you can do personally, convincing you all is lost, and to hope something saves us. Or at the very least isn't going to be that bad. If I were a bad actor, that's exactly what I'd want people to think.
    Last edited by basin7389; 23-08-23 at 17:13.
    Level 29
    @basin7389
    However, there is a vibrant, and growing subculture that isn't like that. Decentralised, and no big corporation that controls it all
    Trouble is they're probably sharing their ideas in a closed group with people with the same mindset believing that theirs is the only truth, with no possibility for open debate.

Look at how Trump and his acolytes have risen as the scum on top of the boiling pot...
    Last edited by geoffers; 23-08-23 at 18:04.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

£20 for a certified refurbished and zeroed non-smart meter. Fitting it is literally a fifteen minute job. I can do a meter swap in about twenty bearing in mind it's not my day job. Money for virtually nothing.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

So we now know that Eon Next can make easy money from removing smart meters and replacing them with non-smart meters. Furthermore, we have evidence here that they will actually do that if requested.

Why then, unless I’m mistaken, has all previous advice on this forum been that once you have a smart meter fitted there’s no going back?

Maybe citing privacy laws, as @basin7389 has done, is the one way to get this done. The precedent is set so using the same email format to request the swap should get a result, even if it does cost £235 per meter.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 6
    @basin7389

Trouble is they're probably sharing their ideas in a closed group with people with the same mindset believing that theirs is the only truth, with no possibility for open debate.

Look at how Trump and his acolytes have risen as the scum on top of the boiling pot...

You've correctly pinpointed the risks of echo chambers, especially within closed Facebook groups or specific Twitter and Instagram circles. These big tech algorithms often push content that aligns with our interests, inadvertently trapping us in echo chambers that just echo our own views. This narrows the scope of discussion and can prematurely end meaningful debates.

The same can be said about legacy media. Many people rely on a single source, or very few, for their information, making them vulnerable to narratives pushed by corporate or governmental interests. While this trend is concerning, there are alternatives that provide a broader perspective.

The platforms I'm emphasising, like the Midnight Pub, Subreply, and the ever-increasing number of personal blogs on the IndieWeb, are rooted in openness and decentralisation. While they could technically be used to limit discussions, that goes against their core principles. These, along with tools like the Nostr decentralised communication protocol and Mastodon's various servers, encourage conversations on countless topics. Free from corporate influence, ads, and limiting algorithms, they offer a wider spectrum of dialogue. There are still places on the internet that value open discourse, and it's here where we can fully engage with a diversity of thoughts.

Indeed, some might fall into the trap you've described, seeing only a limited perspective or even partial truths. Such a narrow viewpoint poses real challenges for our broader society.
    Community Team
    Good afternoon everyone 😊.

I'm so glad @basin7389 that you we're able to get your meters changed over, and you were overal very happy with our service (yay! 😋). For whatever reason you have behind getting your working Smart meter exchanged to a Classic Credit we are able to do that for you at a cost of £235.00 Per Fuel. Yes, @theunknowntech is correct in saying that the distribution of some of our older meters has slowed down (Classic Prepayment Meters for example) - but we are able to replace a functioning Smart Meter if that is your request! There are so many reasons for this, but one of the main ones being because the logistics of these meters are just way out of date and can cause more problems for customers🤖.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie

Why then, unless I’m mistaken, has all previous advice on this forum been that once you have a smart meter fitted there’s no going back?

Maybe citing privacy laws, as @basin7389 has done, is the one way to get this done. The precedent is set so using the same email format to request the swap should get a result, even if it does cost £235 per meter.

The other way which won't incur any meter replacement charges is to insist that the read frequency of the meter is set to 'Never'. That is a simple and valid SMETS instruction that can effectively prevent the meter from being read, effectively turning into a 'dumb meter'.

Clearly only monthly, daily or half-hourly are customer options given in the meter preferences online or in your account but by citing the same privacy issues and insisting on the meters being switched to 'Never' rather than having to have them physically replaced it will do the same job.

Level 80
    The other way which won't incur any meter replacement charges is to insist that the read frequency of the meter is set to 'Never'. That is a simple and valid SMETS instruction that can effectively prevent the meter from being read, effectively turning into a 'dumb meter'.

Clearly only monthly, daily or half-hourly are customer options given in the meter preferences online or in your account but by citing the same privacy issues and insisting on the meters being switched to 'Never' rather than having to have them physically replaced it will do the same job.
    Showing my total ignorance could I ask 2 stupid questions. Wouldn't the comms hub still be live and a possible gateway? Also even though it's set to never send would the meters still store usage? 🤔