Fixed rate tarrif - right to move back to SVR?

Level 5
    I fixed onto the Next V20 Online tariff (less than 14 days ago) but now Liz Truss is promising to 'fix' the energy issues, I'm hopeful the energy cap will reduce.

If that happens, I presume you could switch back to the standard variable rate tariff without penalty? If not, I can exercise my rights under cooling-off terms I presume?
  • 54 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @Barrovian

All eon next's tariff have zero exits fees. so you can switch to variable tariff at any time. Personally I'd wait to see what announcement the government make and what provisions will be made for people on fixed tariffs. It will also depend on ones view on how long this crisis might last and whether the government can afford to bail out 28 million households indefinitely.

If every house hold got £1,000 in aid, that's £28Bn per annum.

Personally I felt the last package which was targeted towards those on low incomes, and those in the lower council tax bands was about right.

In economic terms the way we usually respond to higher prices is to use less of the stuff. There are some things though where the demand curve is relatively inelastic, meaning that no matter how much the price goes up you have to buy it. Energy is a bit like that, although I'm convinced that many people waste energy - i see it in my own family circle. The problem with bailing us out too much is that the incentive to cut back might be lost, and that would be unfortunate, because these high prices are bringing home to people the need to save energy which is vital to our long term net zero target. Its a very tricky balance and opinions will be divided on the best approach.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Good evening all 😊

It's great to see you all so passionate and chatting around tariffs and the prices! You rock 🤘-
    I just wanted to jump on and clear a few things up! Here at E.ON Next we do not have any tariff exit fees. If you wanted to cancel your fix and go onto our SVT you are more than welcome! Or perhaps you want to go onto another fix 😎

At the moment what you know is what we know! So please just bare with us and if there is any changes that are to come in the following days we will be sure to let you know 😊.

If you would like to change your tariff or talk to us please get in touch. Have a look at our contact us page to see what works best for you.

Hannah 🌍
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 08-09-22 at 13:28.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 1
    If todays rumours are to believed , the cap will revert to the old one and be fixed for 18 months. As far as I am aware you can leave any fixed EON tariff and revert to the variable one without any penalty.
    Level 1
    Lets hope so, as I have rcently changed. So will thousands of others. If eon think they are busy now, wait till all these people want to change back or to a lower tariff.

Also and this is where on current form eon fall down. What will happen when the account holder dies during the loan period ??
    Level 91
    There’s lots of media speculation about how the energy crisis will be dealt with but I guess we’ll have to wait until Thursday to find out.

Regarding those of us who have recently fixed then at least we can switch again without paying exit fees.

Sure, we will have paid a higher unit rate in the meantime but, like many others, we faced a difficult choice and chose to fix. It could have gone either way but we still don’t know for sure how it’s going to pan out.

Hopefully nobody will be hugely worse off as a result of their decision to stick or twist.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 9
    Hi, I recently fixed in July. At the time i know I was paying more to fix than the standard Tariff. But the option to fix prices seemed a good idea considering the way things were going. To confirm should the standard Eon variable tariff work out cheaper after government interventions, can we switch back without an exit fee???
    Level 91
    @NickJB73

Just to be sure I checked the email I received five weeks ago when I switched to Next Online v17. It clearly states, 'There are no exit fees with this tariff'.

I believe that to be true of all Eon Next tariffs but if you can find your New Tariff email you should be able to see it in print.
    Level 5
    Came here to ask the self same thing. Thought I was doing the right thing when I switched to V16 in July. Even convinced other members of the family to fix, take the pain early and get the benefit when rates were due to be higher in the winter. Don't I look the fool now.
    Level 91
    @NickJB73

To be further sure, in a post dated 10 July 22 in a thread called, 'Is Your Tariff Coming to an End?', @DebF_EONNext posted, '...we don't charge any exit fees...'

Hope this puts your mind at rest.