My life with an EV - 5 months in.

Level 91
    I should have said @JoeSoap that my comparison was for petrol cars and not EVs, I meant to have stated that but I clearly didn't. There'll still be some who buy new EVs though even if there are nearly new bargains. EVs do make the headlines though like that MG that had to be brought to a stop behind a police van because the driver couldn't stop it, it was like an electric version of Herbie apparently.

I did figure you were talking about ICE cars but with EVs the depreciation is currently quite staggering. I hadn't heard about that MG... scary 😲
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    Sorry to keep posting about used EV prices. Last one... promise. From the same car supermarket...

PEUGEOT 2008

100kW Active Premium-Plus 50kWh 5dr Auto

£16,999

Year 2023 (23 Plate)

Mileage 4966 miles

Going by the 28 months warranty I would say it is 8 months old.

Here's what they say...

This car's new list price
    £35,845

You save
    £18,846

Staggering.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

There have been stories of car hire companies disposing of their EVs sooner than they anticipated because of customer resistance. This would have a knock on effect in the general 2nd hand market across all brands.

Frankly, the only time I get too interested in this stuff is when I want to change cars. I've had my current car 7 years and the one before that 13+ years. MY VED is zero and running costs low, so no need to consider anything now, or in next few years.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @Andy65

Yes...happier times 🤣🤣🤣
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    ... with EVs the depreciation is currently quite staggering... 😲
    I think the bottom has kinda dropped out of the market

1) with the c.o.l. crisis since EVs are a lot more expensive;

2) charging infrastructure not yet up to it, and public charging quite costly;

3) people don't believe 2nd hand batteries have much life left in them

4) media frenzy about EV fires (still more petrol/diesel fires than EV fires per % of car-type);

and to cap it all ...

5) Insurance costs have sky-rocketed since even in a minor shunt they are terrified there could be hidden damage to the battery with no way of checking, so prefer to write-off rather than run the risk fire etc
    Last edited by geoffers; 09-02-24 at 18:41.
    Level 91
    I think the bottom has kinda dropped out of the market

1) with the c.o.l. crisis since EVs are a lot more expensive;

2) charging infrastructure not yet up to it, and public charging quite costly;

3) people don't believe 2nd hand batteries have much life left in them

4) media frenzy about EV fires (still more petrol/diesel fires than EV fires per % of car-type);

and to cap it all ...

5) Insurance costs have sky-rocketed since even in a minor shunt they are terrified there could be hidden damage to the battery with no way of checking, so prefer to write-off rather than run the risk fire etc

You forgot No.6... According to some think tank it's Rowan Atkinson's fault 😂

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bean-a...sales-13065947
    Level 91
    There have been stories of car hire companies disposing of their EVs sooner than they anticipated because of customer resistance. This would have a knock on effect in the general 2nd hand market across all brands.

I think I read that Hertz in America got rid of a load. I always associate hiring a car with doing a long journey so it would stop me hiring an EV unless I was using it to do some local journeys.
    Level 28
    You forgot No.6... According to some think tank it's Rowan Atkinson's fault 😂

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bean-a...sales-13065947
    I must admit I tend to agree with him somewhat - we're being led blindly towards an "all eggs in one basket" goal of EVs whereas there are many other avenues which should be/are being followed to minimise the use of fossil fuels ... improved ICE efficiency; significant improvements in Wankel rotary; synthetic fuels; and if we can crack the green hydrogen production why drop ICE technology at all.

There's a good a series of videos with Lord Bamford, who's obviously very anti EV for heavy plant, and has already got a production line in action producing hydrogen powered JCBs https://youtu.be/H6_qAta3Gk8
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Methane powered tractors are becoming a 'thing' too. Sure, it's still a hydrocarbon fuel but plenty of methane to be had from natural biological processes. Methane being about 20 times more potent as a GHG than CO2 it makes total sense to use it as a fuel rather than just vent it to the atmosphere or flare it off.

EVs are not a 'one size fits all' solution but then neither are ICE vehicles. But a sensible mix of options is better than putting all the eggs in one basket. This is why I'm an advocate for diesel engines. Easier to produce biodiesel than biopetrol, and ethanol is more carbon intensive to produce than it will ever mitigate as a fuel additive. Rudolf Diesel originally used peanut oil as a fuel when he invented the Diesel cycle CI engine. It was only 'big oil' that pushed the adoption of a fraction of crude oil which would have otherwise been pretty much a waste byproduct of petrol refinery.

Something to be said for older Diesel engines like the Peugeuot TU series and the Isuzu low-blow TD units which run perfectly happily on used chip-oil with no modification. Modern TDi's don't like it up 'em!

I ran a Bamford 1 ton dumper, a Komatsu mini digger and a Same 100hp tractor on cooking oil with no problem, as well as a 250cc diesel motorbike. Saved me a fortune and smelled a lot nicer too!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 10-02-24 at 12:27.
    Level 28
    ....Easier to produce biodiesel than biopetrol, and ethanol is more carbon intensive to produce than it will ever mitigate as a fuel additive. ...
    One big downside of biofuels particularly ethanol is that they use basic food stuffs to produce the fuel to satisfy our ICE obsession.

I recall when a large redirection of resources from food stuff to bio-fuel was made several years ago, the cost of for instance tortilla flour in Mexico more than quadrupled.

So so it's the poorer people in third world countries who suffer from our thirst for fuel