Utilising E.ON Next Smart Meters to track your costs

Level 28
    @DebF_EONNext... I'm sure others with more technical knowledge than me will chip in on the acceptability of their use....
    I think one of the biggest issues with using coiled extensions which I'm sure most people are unaware of is the fact that they can overheat when drawing moderate current if they are still wound onto their drum, since the wound coils can't dissipate the heat.

My 15m length extension is only rated at 720W whilst coiled, but it's capable of 2.4kW if fully uncoiled
    Level 56
    I think one of the biggest issues with using coiled extensions which I'm sure most people are unaware of is the fact that they can overheat when drawing moderate current if they are still wound onto their drum, since the wound coils can't dissipate the heat.

My 15m length extension is only rated at 720W whilst coiled, but it's capable of 2.4kW if fully uncoiled

+1 on this advice 👍
    Community Team
    EOn seem unable to upload the correct tariff rate to my meter, so the costs on the IHD are incorrect - however it does show the correct kWH usage.

Well that's a bit pants! did you wanna pop me a private message with your E.ON Next account number and I'll have a look to see if I can get this fixed for you? Or are you on the Next Drive tariff currently? If so, we're still working on how to get this to show correctly on the in home display. It's been... A bit of a challenge.

@meldrewreborn is right though, the kWh is the most important part and the real-time usage of what you see in terms of usage, but it would be best if the pricing still matches what your tariff is supposed to be of course 😅
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 23-01-24 at 21:26.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 28
    Well that's a bit pants! did you wanna pop me a private message with your E.ON Next account number and I'll have a look to see if I can get this fixed for you? Or are you on the Next Drive tariff currently? If so, we're still working on how to get this to show correctly on the in home display. It's been... A bit of a challenge.
    @PeterT_EONNext Thanks - I am on the Next Drive tariff and I'm not too concerned about the IHD at the moment.

It's more the tariff rate which is actually held on the meter (and therefore would get passed on to the IHD.) This still shows the initial Next Flex rate which was uploaded to the meter when I joined EOn from BG in July.

I've had 2 or 3 conversations with Cust. Services to get this updated but nothing ever changed so kinda gave up.

My meter is an L&G E470 5424 and I've found the online user guide explaining the sequence of button A & B presses to negotiate its menu system.

I posted this on a thread a while back....

In my case my Landis+Gyr meter isn't showing dual rates for the Next Drive tariff.

However I've come across a posting on the OVO energy website which suggests that there's a single rate-version and a dual-rate version of the same meter, so if I've got the single rate meter maybe that could be the problem

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-me...art-meter-9644

If you’ve got a single rate meter, you may notice that you’re reading is already showing on the default meter screen.

If you’ve got a dual rate version of this meter press and hold down the ‘B’ button for roughly 5 - 10 seconds - then tap the ‘A’ button. This will toggle between the ‘R01’ reading and the ‘R02’ reading as demonstrated in this handy video:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Y6uegO688...c_2IRZly_URvDZ
    Last edited by geoffers; 24-01-24 at 07:09.
    Level 77
    For anyone who might be interested there is a documentary on Channel 5 Wednesday 31st of January at 8:00pm,

"Smart Meters: Should You Get One?" .

Level 92
    Many of us already know the answer to that question. A resounding no!

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    Many of us already know the answer to that question. A resounding no!
    I wonder where we would be now if we"d listened to the Luddites 🤣
    Level 28
    @PeterT_EONNext

Probably more relevant than smart meters for energy saving and achieving net zero / decarbonisation is the use of smart devices to schedule your energy usage. Many smart plugs come with their own in built energy monitors and scheduling controls.

There's a very interesting app available for Android/iOs devices from the National Grid Energy System Operator (ESO) which has detailed real time display of energy generation sources currently being used, and the corresponding CO² intensity (gCO²/kWh), depending on the regions of the country.

It shows detailed timings where the greenest energy source are currently available, allowing you to schedule device usage accordingly.

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/futu...-intensity-app
    Last edited by geoffers; 26-01-24 at 07:10.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

More relevant to smart meters or smart devices is just using less energy in the first place. Luddism rocks! 🤣🤣🤣
    Level 91
    @geoffers

I really really couldn’t be bothered in scheduling my usage. The current trials on energy shifting are just that, they’re experiments. In time, when smart meters are eventually more widespread and fully functional, time of use tariffs will be introduced which rather than the trial which offers carrots 🥕 will provide variable real time prices - a stick to beat customers with.
    that is something which will penalise all but the most tech savvy customers and I would anticipate will offer very little benefit to us.

few are prepared to take emissions into account when they flick the switch. I’ve always found that people will profess to be interested and concerned when asked in surveys, but then act differently in real life.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.