EPG and fixed tariffs

Level 5
    Just to add more detail to my CSG (Customer Service Gesture) and why you might not be aware of it yet.

The first I knew about it was when a smart meter read was pulled on 12th October with the CSG applied to my account on 13th October and bill generation on 14th October (where the CSG was itemised in the credits section along with the £66 EBSS payment). So if you have not had a bill generation yet this might be the reason behind it. If you received a bill prior to 15th October the CSG payments may not have been set up but after 14th October they should have been added as a credit to your account and itemised on your bill.

The CSG payment I received (£3.72) compensated for both 6 months at a slightly higher standing charge on my electricity (an extra 1.02p/day) so circa £1.85 extra from 1st Oct 22 - 31st March Inc AND compensated for being charged at a slightly higher unit tariff proice for my electricity (34.01p/kWh instead of 32.24p/kWh) used from 1st-12th October inc so circa £1.37 for the 77.6 kWh of electricity used in this period. As my account is now showing the correct unit rates on both utilities (i.e. at the EPG rates for my region) I therefore fully expect no further CSG credits applied. My online account shows everything correctly and it also appears that my default position is to revert back to V18 on 1st April 2023 unless I decide to revert back to Next Flex at that date.

Updated V18.jpg
    Unless anything changes I would expect to see no further application of any EPG reductions post April 1st 2023 so therefore the rates that you see on v18 tariff would revert back to what they were when you and I signed up for them. You can see what the rates are in 'My Messages' within your account (titled same as the picture below) if you deleted the orginally email that Eon Next should have sent you.

Attachment 1449

Thank you so much for your reply Mailman 😊

I'm on the V18 till April 2024, with different rates to your tariff - I pay less per KWH's, but an extra £9.01 a month in combined standing charges (see below)

I thought I should stay as I am for now, but I'm a very low user of both gas and elec, so maybe I should go onto Flex tariff. My brain hurts with it all to be honest 😔

Re the rebate, I'll keep an eye out for October's statement to see if I receive anything.

Hopefully Peter will catch my message, and add the revert to V18 info to my account, as whichever way I go from here, I'd like that added.

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 56

I'm on the V18 till April 2024, with different rates to your tariff - I pay less per KWH's, but an extra £9.01 a month in combined standing charges (see below)

I thought I should stay as I am for now, but I'm a very low user of both gas and elec, so maybe I should go onto Flex tariff. My brain hurts with it all to be honest 😔

Re the rebate, I'll keep an eye out for October's statement to see if I receive anything.

Hopefully Peter will catch my message, and add the revert to V18 info to my account, as whichever way I go from here, I'd like that added.

Thanks again

You will NOT be moved to Next Flex as your unit rates are below what the EPG rates are for your region so you should not see any change to your current tariff rates (either the unit rates or the standing charges). Because you are not moving to Next Flex I very much doubt you are going to receive a Customer Service Gesture. Remember that the EPG does not apply to any pre-existing standing charges. Yes your standing charges are approximately £32.31 pcm whereas mine are £23.46 so circa £9 pcm difference.

When you say you are a low user, how low is your consumption? Unless you have ridiculously low energy usage your tariff should be cherished so keep hold of it and don't go down the route of ditching your 2 year fix. At least you should know what your bills are likely to be for 18 months and are in a good position to ride out the storms of energy price uncertainty. Don't forget that should energy prices suddenly plummet (very unlikely) you can always go onto Next Flex at that point. But now is not the time to even be thinking about it.

FWIW, my energy usage is way lower than it was 2 years ago and is still falling - aiming at a figure of 2500kWh Electricity and 6500kWh Gas by the end of December this year (both below the Ofgem average)
    Last edited by Mailman; 29-10-22 at 15:53.
    Level 5
    You will NOT be moved to Next Flex as your unit rates are below what the EPG rates are for your region so you should not see any change to your current tariff rates (either the unit rates or the standing charges). Because you are not moving to Next Flex I very much doubt you are going to receive a Customer Service Gesture. Remember that the EPG does not apply to any pre-existing standing charges. Yes your standing charges are approximately £32.31 pcm whereas mine are £23.46 so circa £9 pcm difference.

When you say you are a low user, how low is your consumption? Unless you have ridiculously low energy usage your tariff should be cherished so keep hold of it and don't go down the route of ditching your 2 year fix. At least you should know what your bills are likely to be for 18 months and are in a good position to ride out the storms of energy price uncertainty. Don't forget that should energy prices suddenly plummet (very unlikely) you can always go onto Next Flex at that point. But now is not the time to even be thinking about it.

FWIW, my energy usage is way lower than it was 2 years ago and is still falling - aiming at a figure of 2500kWh Electricity and 6500kWh Gas by the end of December this year (both below the Ofgem average)

Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'whichever way I go' earlier. I mean't if I myself chose to move to Flex.

My usage really is very low. Since April I've paid £67-£74 inc standing charges every month max for both my gas and elec (gas I very very rarely use, but I don't want the supply capped off)

Though it'll raise, my usage won't go up massively through the cold months, as my usage will be the same as last winter and those before.
    A close estimate will be £105 per month for combined elec and gas if I stay on this tariff.

You have the option to revert back to his tariff, which is the option I'd like in place if I went onto Flex, but then making the move voluntarily, likely means this option wouldn't be put in place for me.
    Last edited by Evaboo; 30-10-22 at 17:37.
    Level 56
    Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'whichever way I go' earlier. I mean't if I myself chose to move to Flex.

My usage really is very low. Since April I've paid £67-£74 inc standing charges every month max for both my gas and elec (gas I very very rarely use, but I don't want the supply capped off. Though it'll raise, my usage won't go up massively through the cold months, as my usage will be the same as last winter and those before.
    A close estimate will be £105 per month for combined elec and gas if I stay on this tariff.

I ran my usage figures from Oct 1st-April 1st using your tariff rates ans SC and compared them to what I am likely to pay being effectively on the cap for both utilities. Next Flex came out more expensive at £1105 compared to your tariff at £965 (exc the £400 grant). Obviously you will need to do your own calculations and also work out the likelihood that Next Flex rates will be even higher post April 1st 2023.

I am 99.9% certain Eon Next will not give you the option to revert to your fixed tariff when the EPG runs out (should you go to Next Flex now) as you are already below the EPG rates for both utilities.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

Why do I feel like we are going back in time 50 years? Double digit inflation, political turmoil, an energy crisis, talk of possible rolling blackouts, half the country striking....?

The government setting prices, with just a few regional variations smells just like the old regional Electricity Boards when the power industry was still under the auspices of the CEGB.

Apart from not burning coal these days, which is a step forwards, there is a big part of me asking 'where are my old flares, platform shoes, Rod Stewart records and the spare candles?'.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

Why do I feel like we are going back in time 50 years? Double digit inflation, political turmoil, an energy crisis, talk of possible rolling blackouts, half the country striking....?

The government setting prices, with just a few regional variations smells just like the old regional Electricity Boards when the power industry was still under the auspices of the CEGB.

Apart from not burning coal these days, which is a step forwards, there is a big part of me asking 'where are my old flares, platform shoes, Rod Stewart records and the spare candles?'.

I agree the present feels very much like the past - without the frankly nauseating music that I often hear. 'Don't Shoot Me' was an album I fondly remember well as an adolescent youth. Musically I have regressed somewhat, re-discovering and being able to marvel in some of the stuff I was into back into in the day. One good thing is that you can often pick up good compilations cheaply as I started to do during lockdown - Genesis, The Moody Blues, Santana, Camel, The Eagles to name a few that I was able to reconnect to.

We are seemingly hurtling towards another 'Winter of Discontent' - just hope the binpersons don't walk out as well!
    Level 92
    @Mailman

The army Green Goddesses when the firemen went on strike...

The only real difference I can see is that this 'winter of discontent' could see Labour taking control from the Tories rather than the other way around.

I've been checking out some Gerry Rafferty, Liverpool Express, Al Stewart and some early Stranglers stuff just recently. Plus some rather more psychedelic stuff...Here and Now, Gong, Pink Floyd. Man of my eclectic tastes, me. Definitely getting me in the mood for a few evenings in front of the candle. Now if I could just lay my hands on some 'period' refreshment...

Level 44
    @retrotecchie

They look like a much newer version than I remember. They used to have straight sides, my Dad had a tap that fitted to the top, powered by a Sparklets bulb.
    Level 9
    I've not been keeping my eye on things for the last few days, but can somebody just clarify:

I can see I have now been moved from v19 on both electricity and gas to Next Flex.

If come April it turns out that the v19 tariff works out cheaper I will be moved back to that?

If that is correct it seems the most sensible thing to do - but, my major issue is I have had ZERO communications via email or post about any of this (apart from replies to my original emails asking about the fixed tariff and EPG). If I wasn't on these forums I would be totally in the dark about what is going on!

One other thing, my direct debit it still set at what it was for the v19 tariff, will this be adjusted automatically or do I need to contact E.ON Next if my credit gets to be too much? I'm quite happy to build up some credit, but not loads!