How long typically for EON to see my smart meter after joining

Level 91
    That's the one that is telling me not to miss out on getting a smart meter. From my recent experiences there seems to be a bit of a push from the electricity companies to move people from SMETS 1 to SMETS 2 and I hope that is not what is happening here.

I'm going to tag @geoffers to have a read of this thread. He switched to Eon Next and got the Next Drive so he is best placed to advise.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 29
    I'm going to tag @geoffers to have a read of this thread. He switched to Eon Next and got the Next Drive so he is best placed to advise.
    @buzzbee - have you checked your meter (and/or IHD) to see if the meter's registered with EOn as your supplier.

This is what my supplier screen looks like (scrolling through all the displays on the meter)
    Name:  Screenshot_2024-02-10-15-35-54-10_754cf9a4094c34a8eeb04648e2e3eb8d.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  42.1 KB
    This will then be picked up from the meter and displayed on the IHD.

If you can view your ½ hourly usage from the DCC through the Loop app (I use the Bright app) then surely EOn must be seeing it too, so should put you on Next Drive straight away.

It took quite a while (a couple of months 😲) for me to see any billing/statement, but I was assured from the start that I was being billed correctly on the next drive tariff.
    Last edited by geoffers; 10-02-24 at 15:49.
    Level 5
    @geoffers I have checked repeatedly and its still showing my Octopus tariff. I was having problems with Octopus. They could see my 30 minute data but said I couldn't go on the IOG tariff as it was a SMETS 1 meter. So despite meeting all the requirements on the website they said no. I was hoping that EON was the next closest tariff that would work. I'm a bit nervous as with Octopus I had the tariff loaded on the smart meter on the first day. Over a week in and nothing from EON.

I do wonder how long these tariffs will last. If I am getting charged for 7 hours at 9.5p on the next drive tariff why can't I get it on the straight E7 tariff which is the flex Next.. They are identical hours. I wonder if it is a short term data gathering exercise.
    Level 92
    @buzzbee

The tariff on your meter is for information purposes only for guestimating costs on the IHD. You will be billed for the tariff you have signed up to which is done at Eon.Next's end.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 29
    @buzzbee - my experience was moving from BG to EOn in July, where I was initially on the Next Flex - the meters got registered with EOn straight away AFAIK.

I then went through the (email) Next Drive tariff change which only took a couple of days. My meter still shows the old Flex tariff, but this is purely for information display on the IHD so all the accounting/billing is being done with the correct tariff.

I don't know if there's a problem with your meter being Smets1 - the fact you're seeing ½ hourly data would appear to show that the meter type is irrelevant, so EOn should be able to bill you on ToU rates. However I don't know if there could be some other issue 🫤
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie Hi thanks, yes I appreciate that. But what if my hours settings were different for example then the day/night registers would be incorrect. That was the point of smart meters. Transparency for users. Also they are saying I can wait to be notified for a smart meter install. I have one already. My experience over the last 4 months with several energy providers has rather soured my view. I used to trumpet smart meters but what I have gone through has been shocking ( it's a whole other story). So I am starting with Eon hoping things will be good but reading about other experiences on here is making me a bit paranoid.
    Level 5
    @buzzbee - my experience was moving from BG to EOn in July, where I was initially on the Next Flex - the meters got registered with EOn straight away AFAIK.

I then went through the (email) Next Drive tariff change which only took a couple of days. My meter still shows the old Flex tariff, but this is purely for information display on the IHD so all the accounting/billing is being done with the correct tariff.
    Thanks. At least I can use that information on my phone call on Monday. My experience with Octopus, RE seeing the meter registered, was the same as yours. My phone call at the end of the week didn't fill me with confidence. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Level 91
    @buzzbee

the connection between the meters and the DCC is unaffected. The problem lies within Eon Next and their ability to access the data.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    The guys at Smart Pear (adapter for DCC) were great and cleared things up. My SMETS 1 meter wasn't on the DCC network yet. Instead Octopus and Loop must have had an agreement with the original companies running the smart meter. Hence the ability to see the data.

Now I have a SMETS 2 and am in the second day. Still can't see it anywhere. I just don't understand why it takes so long to communicate. It's all digital and bits flying around like wifi. There should be no reason for it to take so long in this day and age.