meter reading

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    An elderly relative has been having ongoing problems with eon next
    Having sent in multiple meter readings they still send bills out with a much higher reading
    Do any of eon's staff know how to read a meter ??? clearly not !!
    She has now been pushed into getting a smart meter and am fearing they have set the new smart meter up with a totally wrong reading.Which now means a massive bill from eon
  • 10 Replies

Level 91
    @KK65

Was it you who read the meter and submitted the readings or your relative? If the latter then by way of investigation you could check the readings that were submitted against what it reads now to see if it looks logical. You can then compare the submitted readings against those shown on the bills. Make sure they have not logged estimated readings.

If a smart meter has already been fitted then there may be a sticker nearby to show what the final reading on the old meter was.

If you find any discrepancies you could post photos of any evidence of mistakes by Eon Next on here and refer to this thread when you take the issue up with them from your position of strength.

Just be careful not to include any personal details if you choose to do that though.

Finally, an online account helps to keep track of meter readings so there may be some history on there. If no online account exists then it may help to create one.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap Thank you for your suggestions i did all readings myself and am certain i am right.
    The person who fitted the meter has also put down an inflated reading If i could i would add
    photo but it will not let me it clearly shows meter reading 10,000 units less than eon says.
    If i do not get a satisfactory explanation from eon will be reporting them to OFGEM to see if they can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KK65; 27-09-22 at 17:02. Reason: Add pictures
    Level 91
    @KK65

Seeing it’s a dial meter and some dials are read clockwise and some anti-clockwise, I wonder if it’s as simple a thing as at some point someone has mis-read the 10,000 dial thereby adding 10,000 to the reading by mistake. Clearly it’s the worst dial to mis-read. Or maybe at Eon someone mis-typed that big value first digit.

Hopefully if that’s the case then it will show up in a series of normal readings and common sense will prevail.

Good luck with it and please report back with any developments.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 27-09-22 at 18:50. Reason: Corrected typo
    Level 91
    48389 or 48390 if you round up!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap Just a quick update this is the reading left by the person fitting the new so called "smart" meter showing a meter reading of 58402 just 3 days after the previous picture i posted which is 10,000 units more than it should be so now facing a £2,500 bill because of incompetent staff at this company had no replies to numerous emails so it looks like my only option is to involve ofgem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 91
    @KK65

Looks like a simple but potentially expensive mis-read of the 10,000 dial right enough. Does the photo of the meter have some kind of date stamp?

I would hope that when you present these photos to Eon Next and explain things they will see the unreasonable 10k unit jump that is out of kilter with historic usage and make an appropriate adjustment to the bill.

Once again good luck with it and keep us posted.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 29-09-22 at 02:29. Reason: Typo
    Level 91
    While it's unlikely, could you not get onto the metering installation company and get them to find the old meter! It's also possible they have to take photographic evidence when the meter was removed. In the meantime, I'd not pay them anything, claim back any debits under the direct debit guarantee, and raise a formal complaint. They would have to support their reading with evidence - like the meter itself.

A case ease without evidence would be decided on the balance of probabilities - you would win.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 29-09-22 at 09:20.
    Level 78
    Initial Metadata analysis of the posted photos suggests that I might be able to extract the timestamps from them to help prove when they were taken.

Please bear with me as this will take a while since my tools take some time to process these things.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech
    Thank you so much for your offer of help.
    I think i've managed to get someone from eon next complaints depart to have a good look at photographs of the meter i attached to email,
    i also noticed when i got reply that photos actually included the exact time and date they were taken so at least i can prove when i took them.
    The reply i did get actually agreed with me about the reading so hopefully should receive a bill for the exact amount owing and it will be quite a lot less
    than eon next was demanding but i'm so thankful for the help i have had from the community . I will be back with update when bill has arrived which
    should be sometime next week. 👍