Meter readings

Level 6
    I have recently changed from a fixed price tariff to a next flex tariff. When i came to submit a meter reading (electric) for this month the unit figure was a lot higher than usual, i checked back my previous readings my highest reading even in winter was around 120 units this one was over double, i've taken some daily readings and projected to the end of the month will be about 450 units. Why the discrepancy? is it the new tariff as i'm sure my usage is fairly consistant. I did phone the eon help desk but didn't really get a good answer. Will i get hit with a big bill next month.
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 28-08-23 at 10:02. Reason: remove Featured Thread
  • 63 Replies

Level 91
    @rogi1

Your new tariff won't affect how much electricity you consume, only how much you pay for it. You seem to suggest that in winter you use around 120 kWh per month... or 4kWh per day. You are now predicting 450kWh per month... or around 15kWh per day in summer. Am I reading this right? If so, you need to be thinking about what is using all this extra electric. Any clues as to what might be guzzling it?
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 21
    450 electricity meter units (kWh) in a month is 15 kWh per day on average. Whilst it is possible to use that much in an afternoon by leaving on a 2kW fan heater or any other 2kW appliance, I doubt that you are doing that as you'd soon notice getting much too hot. Is your meter really going up by 15 kWh per day every day? I did use that much bitcoin mining one winter and it made the room much noticeably warmer, so just by going around the house you should be able to find which room is using a lot more electricity than usual, if there is one.

I'm not there so I'm only guessing, but 4kWh/day in winter looks a bit low. Therefore is it possible that you misread a numeral or something or got billed for less than you had used in winter by mistake, and also chose an unlucky day for your recent spot check such as Sunday roast day, bath night, using much more energy than an average day? Don't tell me but if so, it is to your advantage to pay the backlog as a larger bill soon, as the July price is a bit less than last winters' price.

Lastly, please could someone with the same type of meter as you check which units you are looking at. I don't have a smart meter. Plain old electricity meters read kWh (kiloWatt.hours) which get called "units" in some documents, and those meters should have "kWh" stamped on the front somewhere.
    You should see your daily usage much less than you wrote above when you retest that tomorrow, and if not, find what in your house seems too hot.
    Last edited by Beki; 12-09-23 at 15:54. Reason: Community Values
    Community Team
    Hey @rogi1

Hannah here 👋

@JoeSoap is right in saying that your tariff wouldn't be the reason why the usage is higher 🤔. What I would recommend is that over the next 2 weeks you keep track of your usage - perhaps you've just had a high usage day 😊. If you are right, and something is wrong, we'll be able to look into things for you.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 6
    @JoeSoap I can't think of any abnormal useage or any new appliances that would generate that many extra units. My heating is gas which is not used in summer. also not
    using the cooker as much.
    i've been keeping a daily record and from monday to friday it's gone from 25294 kwh to 25367 kwh Meter is a digital display type.
    Last bill statement for July 6th -Aug 6th was 127 kwh ave use 4.10 kwh per day.
    Last edited by rogi1; 11-08-23 at 12:19. Reason: xtra info
    Level 91
    @rogi1

If you have a smart meter you could try downloading the Hildebrand Bright app to see when the usage is taking place. If it’s all the time you are using about 0.1 unit every 10 minutes so will see this on your meter. You could watch it for a bit and then unplug things like fridges one at a time and see if the consumption reduces. It will have to be done bit by bit.

If you suspect the meter is wrong you have to get another one fitted along side it. If it proves your meter is ok then you will probably have to bear the cost of that.

Let us know how you get on trying to find if there’s a culprit.
    Level 6
    Will do. Although have been trying to weigh up whether to get a smart meter at some point.
    Level 91
    @rogi1

The smart meter can wait. If I were you I would investigate this issue pronto. If you’ve gone from 4kWh a day to around 15kWh a day then simple maths will tell you that your bill will be 3 or 4 times what you normally pay.
    Level 56
    I have recently changed from a fixed price tariff to a next flex tariff. When i came to submit a meter reading (electric) for this month the unit figure was a lot higher than usual

When did you submit this meter reading and when did your tariff change?

Last bill statement for July 6th -Aug 6th was 127 kwh ave use 4.10 kwh per day

I'm assuming the meter read must have been about 5 days ago?

When i came to submit a meter reading (electric) for this month the unit figure was a lot higher than usual

Is this the reading from 6th August (25294)? If it was then your consumption in kWh looks OK for the last statement.

I've been keeping a daily record and from monday to friday it's gone from 25294 kwh to 25367 kwh

So what are the daily meter reads that you have recorded this week?

Be careful when you read these older meters as it is easy to get a number wrong - I always had to shine a light on my old meter and put my reading glasses on.
    Last edited by Mailman; 12-08-23 at 08:10. Reason: Additional comments
    Level 6
    Daily readings were (taken @ 09:00 each day)

Mon. 25280-25294 = 14 units
    Tue. 25294-25313 = 19 "
    Wed. 25313-25330 = 17 "
    Thu . 25330-25349 = 19 "
    Fri. . 25349-25367 = 18 "
    Sat . 25367-25384 = 17 "

I also switched off all electric power off at mains for 1 hour and meter went up by 1 kwh.