Don’t get caught out with 1st October tariff increases

Level 1
    Hi everybody - I’m new to the community. Like most of you I took my meter readings (gas and electricity) on 30th September and submitted them. I didn’t want to get caught out paying too much but I think I might. I’ve noticed that Eon have very quickly produced a new statement but dated it 29th September. It’s used the readings I’ve sent them (good) but only charged the standing charges up to 29th September. So are they going to issue an additional statement for the 30th September standing charges or as I suspect add them to my next statement at the increased rate? I know it’s only pence but if they do it to all their customers it’s a tidy sum. I’ve contacted them so hopefully it will be resolved. In general I’m very happy with Eon.
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Cirenmoby

If you submitted readings on 30th then the last full day they could produce a statement for was the 29th. If you had submitted on 1st October then I suspect your bill would have been up to and including the 30th September.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @Cirenmoby

If you submitted readings on 30th then the last full day they could produce a statement for was the 29th. If you had submitted on 1st October then I suspect your bill would have been up to and including the 30th September.

thanks joe so that suggests that they will produce another statement for 1 days standing charge - I’ll wait and see what happens
    Level 44
    thanks joe so that suggests that they will produce another statement for 1 days standing charge - I’ll wait and see what happens

What should happen is that whenever you get your next bill, presumably the end of October, it should show the charges for the 30th Sept, then the charges from the 1st October. I'm not sure if you're expecting a separate bill but I don't think that'll happen.
    Community Team
    Hey guys 😊

Thank you for @JoeSoap & @Andy65 for stepping in with this one! I wanted to just jump on to explain things as it may help others with the same questions.🙂

- When the new unit rates/standing charges came into play (October 1st) you will be charged to those. These will not be charged against for any days pre the EPG.
    For example, if the unit rate pre October 1st is 5p/kWh... and then goes up to 7p/kWh from October 1st then you will only be charged 7p/kWh for the usage after October 1st.

So for this instance @Cirenmoby the short bill produced was for the old rates, and a new one at the newer rates is being produced at a later date.
    If the date is before October 1st then you will be charged at the lower rates (September 30th).

I really do hope this explanation helps, and thanks again to our volunteers for helping explain this!
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 10
    @Cirenmoby

I think it'll be ok - when your next bill is generated you'll have one day (30th Sept) charged at the old rate and the rest of the days (1st Oct onwards) charged at the new rate, so two separate charges listed on the same bill. Your usage for 30th Sept will be estimated by E.On Next, but that will be based on your prior usage/actual readings, so it's unlikely to be too far off, especially as its only a day.