Warning: If you owe more that just £20 for more than 25 days - DEBT COLLECTION

I'm not in the country at the moment. The number to call cannot be reached from outside of UK.

Got an email saying the £20.19 owing from my last bill 5th September, just 25 days ago, is being passed to debt collection.

I'd very much like to hear how the community advisers justify such an action!
  • 17 Replies

Level 91
    @simonhensby

This is a customer to customer forum with very little staff input and we have no call to justify or otherwise. We don’t know the full story in any case. You can email or WhatsApp or Twitter or Facebook from anywhere in the world surely?
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    @JoeSoap So by omission you agree with the way EoN have dealt with me. That is the full story. All my bills have been paid up to date and on time every month for the last 3 years I've been with Sainsbury's Energy now through EoN. I left the country on 1st August and my last bill was just for the standing orders and came to £20.19. I have emailed but get no reply. I have messaged on Facebook but get no reply. I have telephoned and the number cuts off presumably because it doesn't accept calls from outside the UK.

Is it really reasonable to threaten debt collection after just 25 days for a £20 debt. Debt collection is a nasty threat and can have serious consequences on your credit file. But apparently you think it's reasonable. Well I DON'T!!!! It's not about the £20, I could pay that now, it's the principal. If I am being treated like this for just £20 after 25 days what about those with real energy debts, are they being threatened with Debt Recovery after such a short time?
    Last edited by simonhensby; 30-09-22 at 20:31. Reason: missing reply to
    Level 91
    @simonhensby

Please quote where I said anything about it being reasonable or agree with Eon Next.
    Level 91
    @simonhensby

There is a complaints process that can take you right through to the ombudsman. Keep records of all your correspondence to give yourself the best chance.
    @JoeSoap apparently you don't know what 'by omission' means.
    Level 91
    @simonhensby

We are not all as gifted or eloquent as you. This is my last correspondence with you. Good night, or afternoon, morning or evening… wherever you are. Oh… and good luck 👍
    @JoeSoap As I said this isn't about the 20 quid I owe, it's about the practice that EoN is threatening debt recovery over such a small amount. I want to highlight such action so others with REAL energy debts don't get the same treatment. Apparently though I'm wasting my time as no one gives a damn about anyone else in the UK which is one of the many reasons I left the country.
    @JoeSoap You really shouldn't post on here purporting to help people if all you can be is flippant and patronising. There may well be people tonight in the UK who are considering taking their own lives because they cannot see any way out of their energy debt and the last straw being they may have received the same nasty email as me. This isn't a game. This is serious!
    Level 91
    @simonhensby

Ok, I said I would not correspond with you further but…

I responded to your opening post in a reasonable way. I meant no ill and still think my reply was reasonable.

I then found two other threads with the same post to which I said I had replied on this thread. When I found the same post on a fourth thread I will admit to a tongue in cheek response. Why four posts the same?

Your suggestion that ‘by omission’ I agreed with the way Eon Next has dealt with you was unreasonable. I omitted to say I don’t think the earth is flat but that doesn’t mean I think it is.

You clearly have a grievance but your opening post did not give any history. I can only repeat that this forum is customer to customer and I, as a customer, do not have it in my gift to justify either your or Eon Next’s actions.

I meant no offence but I will not be told that I think something is reasonable just because I didn’t say it was unreasonable.

I think we should perhaps leave it there now. Perhaps you will get a response from other members that meets your needs more than mine did.

I wish you luck in getting this resolved… and I mean that.