Bright app - refresh πŸ‘

Level 28
    Well I didn't know that....

I think most of us assumed that the Bright app data got refreshed around midnight, so only gave you your historical usage up to the previous day.

Well I spotted something on some website (can't remember where) which said swiping down (from the top) on the app refreshes the data to the latest readings, and guess what>>>

>>>It Does .... So Bright really can replace the IHD for peeps who don't have, or have problems with theirs (as long as their meter is being "smart")
  • 19 Replies

Level 92
    @geoffers

Odd, because the meters are only polled by DCC routinely at midnight and by suppliers issuing an immediate read command for billing purposes. If the Bright app can refresh at will, then that means when you refresh, the app 'phones home' to Hildebrand who will then need to issue another read cycle to your particular meter to get updated information. I see trouble ahead...
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

Odd, because the meters are only polled by DCC routinely at midnight and by suppliers issuing an immediate read command for billing purposes. If the Bright app can refresh at will, then that means when you refresh, the app 'phones home' to Hildebrand who will then need to issue another read cycle to your particular meter to get updated information. I see trouble ahead...
    ... It's the same on the glowmarkt "download data" webpage, where there a "refresh data" link you can access before downloading your up-to-date data
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Fair enough...now try refreshing every five minutes and see what the figures look like. An IHD updates from the electricity meter every ten seconds. The most often a meter can provide readings will depend on your settings. If you have your meter read schedule set to monthly or daily which most folks do as it's the industry default, there should not be any way for a third party to update your data any more often. If you set your preferences to half hourly, the meter isn't read half hourly, but half-hourly data stored in the meter is downloaded daily at midnight.

On demand refresh would put a hell of a lot of strain on the already flaky smart network if everyone tried it.
    Level 28
    ...Well I spotted something on some website (can't remember where) which said swiping down (from the top) on the app refreshes the data to the latest readings, and guess what>>>
    Found it...https://www.smartme.co.uk/meter-data.html
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-12-09-00-01-16-91_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  36.6 KB
    Level 28
    @geoffers

Fair enough..On demand refresh would put a hell of a lot of strain on the already flaky smart network if everyone tried it.
    Why? If there's 30 million plus smart meters being polled at midnight, and only 10k downloads of the Bright app - I doubt they'll overload the system 🀣
    Level 56
    @geoffers @retrotecchie

Interesting as I use Bright from time to time although I was something last night that I initially could not fathom.

Before your post I was observing the working IHD late evening to see whether or not I was likely to dip below 8kWh electricity usage. At about 10.30 the IHD was showing just under 7.90 kWh usage 'so far today'. Electric blanket was on for another 15 mins and LED lights only. I looked at Bright but was surprised to see if registering slightly more at 8.01 kWh with the refresh time of 2200.

Roll forward to this morning. From the IHD the usage for Friday was 7.97kWh whereas the usage on Bright shows 2 different figures. On the home page it shows 7.99 kWh as 'latest daily usage' whereas in the electricity tab it shows 7.98 kWh for Friday consumption. Possibly the figure in the home page shows the usage between 2 times so the 8.01 figure might have been the period from 2200 Thursday to 2200 Friday. Never thought about it until now. If I am correct, the home tab ' Latest daily usage ' figure will tumble during today as I am out the house until late afternoon whereas yesterday I was in all day.

Bright seemingly refreshed at 2200 last night but did not refresh again before I dozed off. This morning Bright refreshed at 0700 but not since then. Make of this what you will.
    Last edited by Mailman; 09-12-23 at 09:09.
    Level 28
    Interesting as I use Bright from time to time although I was something last night that I initially could not fathom.

Before your post I was observing the working IHD late evening to see whether or not I was likely to dip below 8kWh electricity usage. At about 10.30 the IHD was showing just under 7.90 kWh usage for the day. Electric blanket was on for another 15 mins and LED lights only. I looked at Bright but was surprised to see if registering slightly more at 8.01 kWh with the refresh time of 2200.

Roll forward to this morning. From the IHD the usage for Friday was 7.97kWh whereas the usage on Bright shows 2 different figures. On the home page it shows 7.99 kWh as 'latest daily usage' whereas in the electricity tab it shows 7.98 kWh for Friday consumption. Possibly the figure in the home page shows the usage between 2 times so the 8.01 figure might have been the period from 2200 Thursday to 2200 Friday. Never thought about it until now. If I am correct, the home tab ' Latest daily usage ' figure will tumble during today as I am out the house until late afternoon whereas yesterday I was in all day.

Bright seemingly refreshed at 2200 last night but did not refresh again before I dozed off. This morning Bright refreshed at 0700 but not since then. Make of this what you will.
    Just opened Bright and clicked on the ℹ️ info to see when it had been refreshed (midnight) ... then checked my leccy which was just about up to date

After this ℹ️ now showed refreshed @ 8am, so it looks like it had auto-refreshed without me swiping down.
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-12-09-09-03-11-55_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  33.8 KB
    Level 56
    @geoffers

Still showing 0700 although I am in 'The North' which may possibly have a bearing on it.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

Still showing 0700 although I am in 'The North' which may possibly have a bearing on it.
    Aye - you need to get those ferrets pedalling harder on the treadmill 🀣

Mines still showing 8am, so maybe they do periodic updates, not on-demand?