IHD wrong after clock change

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    I assume simply because I'm old fashioned and take actual readings, log them on to a spreadsheet and even submit manual readings. ๐Ÿ‘ด

You are not alone. I have some 15 years of weekly meter readings in an Excel spreadsheet which allow me to track trends in my energy usage and to see the effect of changes that I make.

I have taken some readings from the IHD3 and the ivie Bud this evening - I'll post the figures tomorrow when I've tried to sort out what is happening.
    Level 78
    You are not alone. I have some 15 years of weekly meter readings in an Excel spreadsheet which allow me to track trends in my energy usage and to see the effect of changes that I make.

I have taken some readings from the IHD3 and the ivie Bud this evening - I'll post the figures tomorrow when I've tried to sort out what is happening.
    Music to my ears. ๐Ÿ˜€.
    The reason in my case for the manual approach is my "Smart" meters have minds of their own. Sometimes sending data sometimes not. Admittedly a bit like me they are past their prime ๐Ÿ‘ด. Old SMETS1 jobbies.

Looking forward to see how you get on. ๐Ÿ‘
    Level 56
    I had a good delve into Bright yesterday and found some pleasing features to its functionality

1. You can input your actual tariff into the App and, more importantly, can backdate the values. For those that are wanting accurate day before cost figures this might be better than waiting for the IHD to update if daily cost is particularly important. Bear in mind that Bright's cost calculations have a 1 day delay.
    2. Bright can show more than 7 days of historical usage unlike my IHD6 that only shows up to 7 days.
    3. Bright can show daily usage totals via the WAN if there is some hitch in the HAN leading to missing historical data as I experienced recently.
    4. Accuracy-wise I don't need to worry about the clock situation 're billing as I don't have E7 or a TOU tariff. My understanding of Bright is that the smart meter data that it uses is recorded in GMT time throughout the year although the computational and billing aspects in Bright may change For BST. Perhaps @geoffers will confirm this is the case of not.
    5. For 'usage now' data either an IHD or a plugin will do the job (better for individual appliances),
    6. For meter readings though you need to go via the meters or a functioning IHD.
    Last edited by Mailman; 19-11-23 at 08:59.
    Level 6
    Observations from yesterday evening and this morning - gas usage only in kWh as displayed on IHDs. I'll try and be as brief as possible.

18/11/2023

• 23:18: IHD3 - 51.95 / Bud - 49.99
    • 23:37: IHD3 - 0.96 / Bud - 51.95
    • 23:56: Data transmission (I happened to be in the garage at the time)
    • 23:57: IHD3 - 0.96 / Bud - 51.95
    • 00:00: IHD3 - 0.00 / Bud - 51.95
    • 00:06: IHD3 - 0.00 / Bud - 0.00

19/11/2023
    • 10:42: IHD3 - 8.58 / Bud - 8.58
    • IHD3 shows 'Yesterday' as 1.43
    • No easy scroll back on Bud but app shows usage of 1.44 from 23:00-24:00 and strangely 0.47 from 00:00-01:00 today when everything was off.

• Heating was off from 23:50 yesterday.
    • The only gas usage was this morning for heating of stored hot water.
    • The figure of 8.58 Kwh for hot water heating is too high. At this time of year it will be 6-7 kWh so this figure undoubtedly includes the 1.43 kWh, and possibly the 0.47 kWh that I am seeing in the Bud app, that has been 'carried over' from last night.

Conclusion

I have been telling Eon for a couple of weeks that this problem only started when the clocks went back on 29 October last but their Smart meter team insists that there is nothing wrong. It is almost certainly a time related issue and will probably relate to the meter data being collected before the end of the day.
    Eon has insisted that my IHD3 is faulty but it clearly is not. I have had to purchase an ivie Bud just to progress the matter - a complete waste of time and money!
    I will be e-mailing my Eon contact again tomorrow and will let you know what happens.
    Level 6
    And now the ivie Bud has stopped displaying readings. My cup runneth over!
    Level 78
    @Gwyndy

Thank you so much for the information. We will be very interested to see what result you get from your email. Suppliers at the moment seem to be mainly interested in the monthly start readings and end readings. I'm afraid how you see your usage with this modern tech seems to be a low priority. It's not quite as the adverts show ๐Ÿ˜ž.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 19-11-23 at 13:46.
    Level 6
    @WizzyWigg

It's driving me nuts today! As a retired engineer I expect things to work properly and to be precise - that is how I was brought up.

I signed up to https://www.n3rgy.com/ as you suggested and downloaded gas usage data. Interestingly it shows two figures for yesterday / this morning: 23:30 - 0.97 kWh and 00:00 - 0.47 kWh. The total is 1.44 kWh and this is the figure that is now showing on the IHD3 as 'yesterday'. Those two figures also show in the ivie Bud app. It's all about time but the big problem is getting someone at Eon to listen to what I am saying!

I am currently trying to get the Bud to reconnect to the meters. Coincidentally, it stopped working when I signed up to n3rgy. Their system wouldn't accept the MAC address for the Bud so I used the one for the IHD3. I have withdrawn the consent for them to access the data so I'm hoping that it will reset. ๐Ÿคž

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg

It's driving me nuts today! As a retired engineer I expect things to work properly and to be precise - that is how I was brought up.

I signed up to https://www.n3rgy.com/ as you suggested and downloaded gas usage data. Interestingly it shows two figures for yesterday / this morning: 23:30 - 0.97 kWh and 00:00 - 0.47 kWh. The total is 1.44 kWh and this is the figure that is now showing on the IHD3 as 'yesterday'. Those two figures also show in the ivie Bud app. It's all about time but the big problem is getting someone at Eon to listen to what I am saying!

I am currently trying to get the Bud to reconnect to the meters. Coincidentally, it stopped working when I signed up to n3rgy. Their system wouldn't accept the MAC address for the Bud so I used the one for the IHD3. I have withdrawn the consent for them to access the data so I'm hoping that it will reset. ๐Ÿคž

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.
    I'm no engineer but boy do I know how you feel. Brought up the same way as you. Hate being beaten but many a time nowadays having to go back to basics. ๐Ÿ˜ต Thank goodness that there is a plan 'B'. ๐Ÿ˜‚
    The 'IoT' might be the future but I'm certainly in no rush. In my eyes ๐Ÿ‘€ a phone is for making phone calls and speaking to another human ๐Ÿ˜‚. See you tomorrow ๐Ÿ‘.
    Level 28
    I had a good delve into Bright yesterday ...
    ... My understanding of Bright is that the smart meter data that it uses is recorded in GMT time throughout the year although the computational and billing aspects in Bright may change For BST.
    Perhaps @geoffers will confirm this is the case of not.
    @Mailman ... Spot on ๐Ÿ‘ The sooner we get rid of GMT and stay permanently on BST the better, and all our problems would go away.

The "feature" with Bright which I found is that it assumes it's local time based on the current time zone setting, so correctly applies the one hour offset to the UTC-based meter data for BST in the summer, or sticks to GMT in the winter.

So the time it is using is correct for the current readings which you might be viewing. however now we're in GMT all the readings which were taken during BST are calculated based on the current time zone, rather than the time-zone which was active when those readings were taken

I haven't been with the EOn long enough to check, but I bet the historical GMT cost calculations (which should be correct now) would have been wrong during the summertime.
    Level 6
    @geoffers

Interesting! I don't know about the cost calculations during Summer time as I generally only glance at the daily usage to check that it looks sensible. I read the meters directly once per week and then use these figures to do my own calculations and tracking in an Excel spreadsheet.

As an addendum to my earlier post - the ivie Bud is now working again. I have also found a menu item labelled 'History' which I hadn't seen before. This lets me scroll back through past days, weeks, etc. At the moment 'Yesterday' is showing the same figure that the IHD3 was showing at 23:18 last evening - but I know that this is inorrect as there has been some carry-over to today. I'll see what happens tonight but I am not over hopeful.