IHD wrong after clock change

View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    I read the meters directly once per week and then use these figures to do my own calculations and tracking in an Excel spreadsheet.

Funny how we have slightly different ways of trying to get to the same destination. I too track although I do things daily.

My methodology is as follows:
    1. When I get up in the morning, I look at my IHD 6 (Chameleon so essentially the ivie bud), hit the history button and record the previous day's kWh usage for both utilities in my 'Energy Reads' Open Office spreadsheet.
    2. I work out the total kWh since last bill and average kWh/day . On the rare times that the IHD has not recorded the previous daily total I go to Bright and enter the daily kWh. I do use Bright from time to time as an additional sanity check that the IHD has not gone off piste.
    3. I work out an anticipated bill for the period using the average worked out in step 2. Obviously in only starts firming up from the middle of the month onwards.
    4. Once I get to the end of the billing period I then start looking at the actual meter reads (via the IHD) although I'm lazy and look at them only on the final billing day for an additional sanity check. Never had them out of whack to what I've been recording over the month.
    5. Go to bed and record at about 11.45pm what the meter readings are (again via the IHD) and await the smart read update to appear later on the next day in my Eon Next account. Whenever I've read the actual meters they have always corresponded to what I see on my IHD so I'm reluctant to fire up the gas meter unnecessarily.
    6. Once I see that the smart reads are uploaded to my account I can them firm up my anticipated statement awaiting just the gas CV from the actual statement issue for reconciliation between the two.

Never been out by more than a few pence (either way). Here is progress so far this month anticipating the next statement circa £100

Name:  Nov_estimate.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  76.4 KB

Green (on electricity) means better than last year (and red for gas the other way). Both within 10% of 2022 so that will do me.

To date I've had no surprises since joining Eon Next just over 2 years ago.
    Level 29
    @Gwyndy - it's only really relevant if you're on the Next Drive tariff which gives you cheap off-peak leccy between midnight & 7am, so in the winter months the historical summertime calculated costs become slightly more expensive since the midnight to 1am cheap leccy gets treated as the daytime 23:00 to midnight rate.
    Level 92
    @Mailman ... Spot on 👍 The sooner we get rid of GMT and stay permanently on BST the better, and all our problems would go away.

Au contraire. We should be on GMT all year round and do away with BST altogether. If I wanted to be an hour ahead of GMT, I'd move to Germany.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    Funny how we have slightly different ways of trying to get to the same destination. I too track although I do things daily.

Same ideas, just different approaches, as you say. My spreadsheet is more complex and all the data is based on actual meter readings rather than taking the usage figures from the IHD. I maintain a 12 month running total so that I can produce an empirical forecast of overall cost for the year. I then tweak my direct debit payments accordingly so that I don't use Eon as a non-interest paying bank. That's the theory but doesn't always work!

What was good to see was a graphical representation of the fairly dramatic reduction in gas consumption resulting from the installation of a new condensing boiler 2 years ago. By chance I timed it just right before energy prices soared.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 19-11-23 at 23:25.
    Level 6
    @Gwyndy - it's only really relevant if you're on the Next Drive tariff which gives you cheap off-peak leccy between midnight & 7am, so in the winter months the historical summertime calculated costs become slightly more expensive since the midnight to 1am cheap leccy gets treated as the daytime 23:00 to midnight rate.

Point taken, however my point is that the gas usage displayed on my IHD changed when the clocks went back in October. I can no longer scroll back and see historical daily figures - they are absolutely meaningless. Eon is being very stubborn in accepting that it is a metering issue and not a dodgy IHD. I'll see what they say tomorrow.
    Level 56
    @Gwyndy

That daily usage spreadsheet is just one of a few that I use. My actual meter reads are used in another more complicated spreadsheet that gets updated monthly. Additional stuff that it churns out is a rolling 12 month average of annualised actual usage comparing it to the EAC figures in the statements. I also do spending projections based on whatever tariff I am on particularly doing the winter months and use the sheets to calculate the effect of being on a different tariff. It keeps my diminishing supply of grey cells fresh especially incorporating charts 😀
    Level 6
    @Gwyndy

That daily usage spreadsheet is just one of a few that I use. My actual meter reads are used in another more complicated spreadsheet that gets updated monthly. Additional stuff that it churns out is a rolling 12 month average of annualised actual usage comparing it to the EAC figures in the statements. I also do spending projections based on whatever tariff I am on particularly doing the winter months and use the sheets to calculate the effect of being on a different tariff. It keeps my diminishing supply of grey cells fresh especially incorporating charts 😀

We are on the same wavelength!
    Level 56
    I can no longer scroll back and see historical daily figures - they are absolutely meaningless. Eon is being very stubborn in accepting that it is a metering issue and not a dodgy IHD. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

I can see my historical daily figures in Bright going back as far as I want. My IHD 6 only goes back a week though. The daily totals of usage do reconcile with the monthly totals derived from the meter reads (whether my daily numbers are obtained from the IHD or From Bright).
    Level 29
    Au contraire. We should be on GMT all year round and do away with BST altogether. If I wanted to be an hour ahead of GMT, I'd move to Germany.
    I actually prefer BST, with the "later" daylight hours in the summertime.

Maybe it's something to do with living in the West Country, being on "BrizzleTime" where we're 10 minutes behind London anyway 😁 https://secretbristol.com/corn-excha...-bristol-time/
    Last edited by geoffers; 20-11-23 at 02:14.
    Level 29
    Point taken, however my point is that the gas usage displayed on my IHD changed when the clocks went back in October. I can no longer scroll back and see historical daily figures - they are absolutely meaningless. Eon is being very stubborn in accepting that it is a metering issue and not a dodgy IHD. I'll see what they say tomorrow.
    Not sure if you're aware that the meter holds 13 months worth of usage data, and if you're registered with the Bright app you can download your raw half hourly usage data (logged as Zulu time, ie UTC/GMT) from their parent website glowmarkt.com

It's in CSV format, giving the UnixEpochDate, kWh, Date time(UTC)
    Name:  Screenshot_20231120-014152_File_Manager_+.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  52.6 KB

So if you've got your actual meter data you can ignore your IHD and prove your point to EOn based on this
    Last edited by geoffers; 20-11-23 at 01:57.