E.ON next app no longer compatible

• Tags for this Thread
  • app
View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    Customers using the Amazon Fire tablets are wasting their time BTW (not that it bothers me as I use Bright and a working IHD to give me the metrics to monitor my energy usage). My Fire Max 11 (using OS8 which is based on Android 11) states an incompatibility with the Eon Next app so refuses to install (via the Play Store sideloaded ๐Ÿ˜). No big deal as I've never used this app.
    Community Team
    Afternoon @GRMat2Now ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hannah here ๐Ÿ‘‹ - I know exactly how frustrating it is when technology can upgrade and things don't work anymore!! We had to buy my grandma an IPad one year because some things wouldn't work on her phone and she didn't want to get rid of it ๐Ÿคฃ. (the IPad was just the easier argument!).

Hear! hear! To tracking your usage ๐Ÿ™Œ.

I've also fired a message across to one of our App/Web developers to check that's the reason its not working (just to make sure!). I'll also follow up on your statement downloads @geoffers !

Have a lovely day folks.
    ๐ŸŒ Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    ๐Ÿ‘‰get in touch๐Ÿ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions ๐Ÿ‘‰ HERE ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
    Level 28
    Thanks @Han_EONNext - if it's any help my phone is a OnePlus9 running Android-13

The app permissions should include "Files & Media" but this option is not available to select, so the app can't download the statements.

Name:  Screenshot_2023-09-21-19-03-45-54_ab1359306de43320f9557c797b1c4be5.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  13.2 KB

I've just loaded the app on my Android-11 tablet, and it prompted me to allow the file & media access, so I have no problem downloading statements here
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-09-21-20-03-34-712.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  16.0 KB
    Level 92
    @geoffers

That phone has known issues with Android 13.

You could try going into the Advanced Settings and see if you have an option for Developer Options. If so...

Open developer options
    Enable 'USB Debugging'
    Scroll to the apps section in the developer options
    Toggle 'Disable permission monitoring'
    Restart the device (Important)
    Try again to allow permissions write
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

That phone has known issues with Android 13.

You could try going into the Advanced Settings and see if you have an option for Developer Options. If so...

Open developer options
    Enable 'USB Debugging'
    Scroll to the apps section in the developer options
    Toggle 'Disable permission monitoring'
    Restart the device (Important)
    Try again to allow permissions write
    Cheers, but that didn't make any difference.

It's weird that it's only the E.On app that displays this issue : all other apps which need to write to file storage ie /storage/emulated/0/Download etc... locations have no problems. So I'm certain it's app specific not phone specific.

I wonder if it's related to Google's changes to Scoped Storage in V-11

https://www.androidcentral.com/what-scoped-storage

...need to access folders not owned by their app will need to use the Storage Access Framework APIs.
    That means it needs to query the API to see if the files exist and get its device location then ask the user for permission to use it.
    This has been the recommended best practice for file access since Android Lollipop, so it's not exactly new.
    But with Scoped Storage, it is now strictly enforced and no longer "optional".
    Last edited by geoffers; 21-09-23 at 21:15.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

My Android 13 doesn't have permissions for the Eon app, but it doesn't need any. It just asks what I want to open the PDF with and the reader handles it in RAM. Which makes perfect sense to me. The last thing I want is my phone cluttering up with PDF files! The reader has the option to save if required.

Level 28
    @geoffers

My Android 13 doesn't have permissions for the Eon app, but it doesn't need any. It just asks what I want to open the PDF with and the reader handles it in RAM. Which makes perfect sense to me. The last thing I want is my phone cluttering up with PDF files! The reader has the option to save if required.
    I think you'll find the pdf has been downloaded to the apps own "internal" memory at /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.eonnextmobile.app/files/Download
    ...which the reader then opens it from. The "save" option then copies it to the publicly accessible "Download" folder

My file manager on the phone has to explicitly allow permissions to view the com.eonnextmobile... etc folders each time I visit it, so this is what the app must be missing
    Last edited by geoffers; 22-09-23 at 06:56.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I suspect then the app developers haven't paid attention to the memo then. I've just uninstalled my Eon app because other than directly allowing me to turn the phone's torch on and off (presumably to help me read the meter) it doesn't do anything I can't do on he 'pooter ten times easier and with a lot more real estate! But I generally find that happens with most apps. They sound like a nice idea, but then once the novelty wears off, if they provide no real advantage...uninstall. The only exceptions to that rule for me are my OLB app and Victron Connect. Both of which are hard to live without now.
    Level 28
    I think you'll find the pdf has been downloaded to the apps own "internal" memory at /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.eonnextmobile.app/files/Download
    ...which the reader then opens it from. The "save" option then copies it to the publicly accessible "Download" folder

My file manager on the phone has to explicitly allow permissions to view the com.eonnextmobile... etc folders each time I visit it, so this is what the app must be missing
    Looking into this in a bit more detail...

It looks like the app developers have just mirrored the default "public" folders for DCIM; Download; Movies; Music; Pictures; Ringtones in the Eon Next app's "private" folder/files storage area at...

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.eonnextmobile.app/files/

Name:  Screenshot_2023-09-22-17-20-43-53_754cf9a4094c34a8eeb04648e2e3eb8d.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  27.9 KB
    Why they should want to store any music, pictures, ringtones etc is beyond me ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Last edited by geoffers; 22-09-23 at 16:48.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

But Download would, to me, be the obvious place for putting a PDF statement.