New Gas Smart Meter Stopped Communicating

Level 5
    In March last year 2022 both our gas and electricity smart meters stopped working. We were told this was a nationwide issue and were waiting for a fix from the manufacturer and that there was no timescale for this.

Over a year later we got an email to say we could have new smart meters installed so on the 6th April 2023 this year we got a new gas and electricity smart meter installed. They both worked perfectly immediately but then 2 months later at the end of May the gas smart meter has stopped communicating with Eon Next so yet again we are submitting manual readings.

I have complained several times and lo and behold we have been told the same excuse that it is a nationwide issue:

"Known issue - Gas Smart reading files are coming from the meter to BOL, however they are blank/missing read data. This is a known industry-wide issue. We're waiting on a fix for the issue, but we don't have a timeframe for this. An engineer will not be able to fix this and we need the customer to give manual reads for now."

I feel we are being fobbed off as the meters are brand new and I have family/friends with Eon Next who have no trouble with their smart meters so fail to see how this is a nationwide issue.

Upon looking at the meter there are no lights flashing and there is a cross next to the signal bars so I believe it's lost the HAN connection- does anyone know how I can reconnect this myself? The meter is a Liberty with the number keypads.

I'm at my wits end with this because it is a brand new meter and it's not been communicating for the past 3 months now. EOn say it will fix itself once the manufacturer sends a fix but after waiting over 12 weeks I think we'll be waiting forever.

Also, as the IHD and meters are only 5 months old don't they have some obligation to sort it out under warranty?

Any help will be much appreciated 🙏 🙂
    Last edited by SmartCookie; 09-09-23 at 16:56. Reason: spelt wrongly
  • 28 Replies

Level 92
    @SmartCookie

Smart meters don't have a warranty as such, other than the manufacturers warranty to the installer/supplier. The supplier owns the meter, not you. There are so many points of failure in the smart metering system, so it is hard to say where the problem lies but your issue sounds like the gas meter has lost it's pairing with the comms hub on the electric meter and that is not a customer-fixable problem. It needs an engineer to resolve it. I would register a formal complaint with E.On Next and prepare to chase it through the Ombudsman if your complaint is not resolved in 8 weeks.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 77
    "Known issue - Gas Smart reading files are coming from the meter to BOL, however they are blank/missing read data. This is a known industry-wide issue. We're waiting on a fix for the issue, but we don't have a timeframe for this. An engineer will not be able to fix this and we need the customer to give manual reads for now."

Seems like a common-ish problem looking around. I've had a similar problem over the past couple of years. Electric not a problem but gas definitely. Problem you've got is there are so many variables. Some combinations work, some don't, and some work off and on. My combination seems to be the off and on one. At the moment it's in an 'off ' state. @retrotecchie advice is without any doubt the best. I shall continue in my own inimitable way. 👴
    Level 91
    @SmartCookie

the gas meter should send its data to the communications hub wirelessly and then onto the DCC and then the supplier.

Gas meters have a long life battery to power them, and their communications. It’s one of those situations where the supplier has access to the full story and you don’t. It’s a trust issue.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @SmartCookie

Smart meters don't have a warranty as such, other than the manufacturers warranty to the installer/supplier. The supplier owns the meter, not you. There are so many points of failure in the smart metering system, so it is hard to say where the problem lies but your issue sounds like the gas meter has lost it's pairing with the comms hub on the electric meter and that is not a customer-fixable problem. It needs an engineer to resolve it. I would register a formal complaint with E.On Next and prepare to chase it through the Ombudsman if your complaint is not resolved in 8 weeks.
    Thanks so much, I did wonder if somehow there was no longer any connection as there are no lights lit up.

Pity it's not something I can sort out myself at this end but I did think that would be the case.

Wish me luck getting an engineer!!! 😆
    Level 5
    Seems like a common-ish problem looking around. I've had a similar problem over the past couple of years. Electric not a problem but gas definitely. Problem you've got is there are so many variables. Some combinations work, some don't, and some work off and on. My combination seems to be the off and on one. At the moment it's in an 'off ' state. @retrotecchie advice is without any doubt the best. I shall continue in my own inimitable way. 👴
    Thanks for your help. So would you say that these issues can still occur with brand new meters then? Didn't know if EOn was just fobbing me off or not. 🤔
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn

Thanks for your help. Yes I know what you mean- it definitely sounds like they know more then they'd care to tell me !!!
    Level 77
    Thanks for your help. So would you say that these issues can still occur with brand new meters then? Didn't know if EOn was just fobbing me off or not. 🤔
    Looking across the board I would say it's a definite possibility. There is a constant stream of updates and changes (hardware and software) being made to the system and network. A lot of the changes are made by parties other than suppliers.
    It's a bit like how the mobile phone network was like back in the beginning. 👴. The future will be rosy but it will take time. Rome wasn't built in a day. 😉
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 10-09-23 at 14:07. Reason: Typo
    Level 5
    @WizzyWigg

Thanks so much for your help. BTW there are no lights whatsoever lit up on the gas meter- does that indicate anything or not?