EPG and fixed tariffs

Level 56
    Thank you all so much for sharing all this information. Just coming here to let you know that it has been picked up and I should get more information tomorrow or Friday. I will keep nudging where I can. Thanks for your patience. 🙏

And we will keep nudging as well - I take it there is no news to report.
    Level 1
    @Beki_EONNext
    Hi, I'm on Next Online v16
    Day: 45.18p/kWh
    Night: 14.22p/kWh

Gas: 10.30p/kWh

Nothing about the discounted tariff on my account details yet.
    Hoping this is fixed before the bill at the end of the month!
    Level 4
    My V20 tariff was showing a rate above the EPG so I contacted customer services to ask why. They replied saying it had been adjusted but when I checked my online account they’ve changed me to the variable rate rather than reducing my fixed tariff down to the EPG. They also told me everyone on a fixed rate is being changed to the variable rate but this thread suggests that isn’t actually the case.

I would much prefer being on my fixed rate tariff in case it’s beneficial in April, what customer service have done means I’m not. Surely they can’t unilaterally change my tariff, especially if fixed rates are going to be reduced to the EPG anyway?
    Level 91
    @PNELancs

Agreed. Get recording equipment ready. Contact customer services, tell them that you are recording the call, then that you want your V20 back but reduced to the maximum extent provided for under the EPG. It is entirely possible that this will leave your rates above the EPG floor, but you can't have everything. Advise them too that you will make a complaint if your expressed wishes are not complied with.

Disclaimer: whether this will leave you better off is entirely down to you. In your situation I would do as you are thinking, but I'm not so that's a bit academic!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 7
    I've also just seen that I've been moved to Next Flex without my permission!
    Level 6
    @Beki_EONNext
    I have finally got someone at Eon to listen to me, via Twitter! 'Yes you are correct' so I'm now on the EPG, I've also asked for a refund of half my credit, which was over £900, and the DD is reduced to pretty much what I calculated it should be.
    Hey everyone, thanks for your messages.

I still have some questions pending an answer so please keep them coming. It's important that we all understand what is going on.

For customers who were on a fixed product, the government reduction in unit price would have meant they would not have met the £2.5K average household price. Therefore E.ON Next has moved all customers to our Standard Variable Tariff, to ensure they could benefit from the full savings. They are still working on switching the last few customers over and they will ensure that it backdates to the 1st Oct 2022.

With the turbulence in both the gov and the energy market atm, we are all in the same boat with the worry it can cause. I'm hoping that the Community will continue to be a space for reassurance, education and understanding. I will keep asking those questions that you have, to get you some answers. 😊

If you are struggling, please check out the Help with energy bills thread for support and of course, the Community Team are here too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	widgets_community_july2022_1 (1) (1).png 
Views:	833 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1441
    Level 56
    Hey everyone, thanks for your messages.

I still have some questions pending an answer so please keep them coming. It's important that we all understand what is going on.

For customers who were on a fixed product, the government reduction in unit price would have meant they would not have met the £2.5K average household price. Therefore E.ON Next has moved all customers to our Standard Variable Tariff, to ensure they could benefit from the full savings. They are still working on switching the last few customers over and they will ensure that it backdates to the 1st Oct 2022.

With the turbulence in both the gov and the energy market atm, we are all in the same boat with the worry it can cause. I'm hoping that the Community will continue to be a space for reassurance, education and understanding. I will keep asking those questions that you have, to get you some answers. 😊

If you are struggling, please check out the Help with energy bills thread for support and of course, the Community Team are here too.

By the sounds of it this is going to be a forced move. 😖

Q1) If I choose not to move onto the SVT and stay on my fixed rate, can this be done just receiving the EPG (17p/4.2p) reductions on v18?
    Q2) One of my utilities, after reductions (Gas) is at the same EPG price after the reductions as the SVT cap price. So is this forced move going to happen with both utilities?

If my account sees both utilities forcibly moved to Next Flex now, this could cost me money post April 2023 if the SVT cap rates at that point becomes higher than my original v18 rates. I've worked out that moving me to the SVT cap rather than applying only the mandatory reductions will only save me in the region of £20-£30 between now and April 1st. If the post-April rates are anything like the original October 1st rates (pre-EPG) then the v18 tariff would be cheaper for both utilities. So there is a real possibility that this forced tariff move might cost me in the long term (i.e. from April 1st to when my v18 runs out on October 1st 2023).

This is a decision that I really need to be able to make for myself rather than have it imposed on me due to the particular tariff I am on.
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-10-22 at 21:37.
    Level 43
    I think the only reasonable solution @Mailman would be that any customer forced back to onto Next Flex is allowed to resume their fixed tariff at the end of the EPG, for the remainder of their term.
    The shortening of the EPG was just a move to pacify the markets, so if wholesale prices haven't reduced sufficiently, which I doubt they won't because they won't want to let their profits drop, then there'll either be an extension to the EPG or an alternative.