EPG and fixed tariffs

Community Team
    Update now available on the original post for this thread.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 56

If you're moved off of your fixed tariff to the Next Flex tariff,
    you won't pay higher than your original fixed priced contract regardless of what happens in April.

This means if we've had to move you to the Next Flex tariff so that you're paying the government EPG rates and your fixed tariff was due to run, as an example, until 17th June 2023, then you won't pay anything higher than what was agreed on the fixed tariff you had taken out, which we had to move you from, until after 17th June 2023 (please bear in mind, the dates here are an example)

Once we have clarity from the government on what will happen to energy prices from 1st April onwards, we'll be in touch with all of our customers to let you know what will happen next.

Let me now see if I have got this right using my situation as another example:

From the update today at some point in the very near future I will be moved from my fixed tariff for electricity (v18 Online DD) onto the Next Flex tariff to last until 31st March 2023 because I am currently above the Next Flex EPG tariff even with the 17p reduction. Understood :)

My V18 gas rates (after the reduction) are already at the cap. Presumably I will therefore stay on V18 Online DD for gas until the expiration date of my fix? Can you confirm this?

In the absence of any additional information likely to come from HMG probably at some point in March 2023, come April 1st 2023 can you confirm that I would therefore automatically revert back to the v18 rates (for both utilities) that I signed up to ending whenever the contact is due to finish (in my case October 1st 2023)?

It would therefore make sense that if the above does happen, that Eon Next clearly state and list both tariffs in the 'My Account' section. The first being the Next Flex (if applicable) with an end date of 1st April 2023 (for one or both utilities as applicable) and the v18 tariff listed as starting 1st April 2023 and stating Fixed Term ends at ????? (in my case 1/10/23).
    This would seemingly make sense otherwise come March/April next year people may be onto Eon Next asking where where their v18, v19 etc tariffs are that they signed up for in 2022 especially if the Next Flex tariff in place post-April 2023 is higher than their contracted fix?

Of course if Next Flex post April 2023 turns out to be lower than the contracted fix then customers have the option at that point to come out of their Fixed tariff without exit fees onto Next Flex if they so wish.
    Last edited by Mailman; 27-10-22 at 12:42.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

That makes sense to me.

I would only ask that the "community team" answer each question in the order it was posed and state in clear language (not company speak) exactly what the policy is and will be.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56

My V18 gas rates (after the reduction) are already at the cap. Presumably I will therefore stay on V18 Online DD for gas until the expiration date of my fix? Can you confirm this?

Looks like this bit is true according to what I see on My Account now

Name:  Forced Move.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  14.9 KB

Now to answer the second part.

In the absence of any additional information likely to come from HMG probably at some point in March 2023, come April 1st 2023 can you confirm that I would therefore automatically revert back to the v18 rates (for both utilities) that I signed up to ending whenever the contact is due to finish (in my case October 1st 2023)?

It would therefore make sense that if the above does happen, that Eon Next clearly state and list both tariffs in the 'My Account' section. The first being the Next Flex (if applicable) with an end date of 1st April 2023 (for one or both utilities as applicable) and the v18 tariff listed as starting 1st April 2023 and stating Fixed Term ends at ????? (in my case 1/10/23).
    This would seemingly make sense otherwise come March/April next year people may be onto Eon Next asking where where their v18, v19 etc tariffs are that they signed up for in 2022 especially if the Next Flex tariff in place post-April 2023 is higher than their contracted fix?

Of course if Next Flex post April 2023 turns out to be lower than the contracted fix then customers have the option at that point to come out of their Fixed tariff without exit fees onto Next Flex if they so wish.
    Community Team
    Hi @Mailman

Yes, as you can see now from your account, only the electricity tariff will change to the Next Flex for now, where the reduction in the unit rate wasn't able to be reduced right down to the EPG rate, as the gas is fine, this will remain on the fixed tariff. You'll also see a customer service gesture on this months bill, this is to counteract the difference in standing charge you'll pay from October 1st to 30th March.

In relation to your question about reverting back to the v18 automatically for the electricity, this isn't something I can answer right now I'm afraid. Our pricing analysts have reassured us that if you signed up to a fixed tariff (like you have yourself) and come April 1st 2023, prices are above what you were paying on the v18, then you'll be moved back onto the v18 tariff (in your case, until the 1st October 2023)

Due to the uncertainty, they haven't put this in place to automatically happen. This is likely something that will be looked at in February/March when we have more information on what is going to happen with the pricing of tariffs moving forward. If you'd prefer to have this on your account for it to go back onto this tariff come 1st April, let me know, and I can set this manually to do so on your account.

What you've stated does make sense, and I've put this question forward (which would allow those to choose whether to then remain on their fix for the remaining duration or stay on the Next Flex should it work out cheaper) though I know currently, their priority has been to ensure that everyone is being charged correctly from 1st October on the current EPG rates.
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 28-10-22 at 08:42.
    Level 56
    Hi @Mailman

Yes, as you can see now from your account, only the electricity tariff will change to the Next Flex for now, where the reduction in the unit rate wasn't able to be reduced right down to the EPG rate, as the gas is fine, this will remain on the fixed tariff. You'll also see a customer service gesture on this months bill, this is to counteract the difference in standing charge you'll pay from October 1st to 30th March.

In relation to your question about reverting back to the v18 automatically for the electricity, this isn't something I can answer right now I'm afraid. Our pricing analysts have reassured us that if you signed up to a fixed tariff (like you have yourself) and come April 1st 2023, prices are above what you were paying on the v18, then you'll be moved back onto the v18 tariff (in your case, until the 1st October 2023)

Due to the uncertainty, they haven't put this in place to automatically happen. This is likely something that will be looked at in February/March when we have more information on what is going to happen with the pricing of tariffs moving forward. If you'd prefer to have this on your account for it to go back onto this tariff come 1st April, let me know, and I can set this manually to do so on your account.

What you've stated does make sense, and I've put this question forward (which would allow those to choose whether to then remain on their fix for the remaining duration or stay on the Next Flex should it work out cheaper) though I know currently, their priority has been to ensure that everyone is being charged correctly from 1st October on the current EPG rates.

Just to add that normally when you take a fixed deal to start at a date later than your current deal (as I did when I grabbed v18 towards the end of my previous fix on v7) Eon Next shows both the old and new tariff with start and end dates. If you are able to manually input the v18 tariff on my account to start from 1st April 2023 I'd appreciate this as well. I will make the decision nearer the time whether to roll on to V18 (which would now be my default) OR whether to quit v18 and just go onto Next Flex. I am happy to make this determination myself.
    Last edited by Mailman; 28-10-22 at 09:55.
    Community Team
    @Mailman You should be able to see this on your online account now 😊
    Level 5
    Hi @Mailman

Hello Peter

I am also on V18, and knew nothing about a 'customer service gesture' credit as above.

Can you confirm if I will receive the (unknown) amount please?

Also, like Mailman, I would like the choice to be able to revert back to the original V18 rates in April if I am moved.
    Is this something you can arrange on my account too please?

Thank you.
    Level 56
    Hello Peter

I am also on V18, and knew nothing about a 'customer service gesture' credit as above.

Can you confirm if I will receive the (unknown) amount please?

Also, like Mailman, I would like the choice to be able to revert back to the original V18 rates in April if I am moved.
    Is this something you can arrange on my account too please?

Thank you.

Just to add more detail to my CSG (Customer Service Gesture) and why you might not be aware of it yet.

The first I knew about it was when a smart meter read was pulled on 12th October with the CSG applied to my account on 13th October and bill generation on 14th October (where the CSG was itemised in the credits section along with the £66 EBSS payment). So if you have not had a bill generation yet this might be the reason behind it. If you received a bill prior to 15th October the CSG payments may not have been set up but after 14th October they should have been added as a credit to your account and itemised on your bill.

The CSG payment I received (£3.72) compensated for both 6 months at a slightly higher standing charge on my electricity (an extra 1.02p/day) so circa £1.85 extra from 1st Oct 22 - 31st March Inc AND compensated for being charged at a slightly higher unit tariff proice for my electricity (34.01p/kWh instead of 32.24p/kWh) used from 1st-12th October inc so circa £1.37 for the 77.6 kWh of electricity used in this period. As my account is now showing the correct unit rates on both utilities (i.e. at the EPG rates for my region) I therefore fully expect no further CSG credits applied. My online account shows everything correctly and it also appears that my default position is to revert back to V18 on 1st April 2023 unless I decide to revert back to Next Flex at that date.

Name:  Updated V18.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  23.9 KB
    Unless anything changes I would expect to see no further application of any EPG reductions post April 1st 2023 so therefore the rates that you see on v18 tariff would revert back to what they were when you and I signed up for them. You can see what the rates are in 'My Messages' within your account (titled same as the picture below) if you deleted the orginally email that Eon Next should have sent you.

Name:  OriginalV18.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  45.4 KB