Gas screen time out

Level 1
    This might be a daft question, but parent has been looking at the smart gas meter display (digital)and it is blank.

If he presses the buttons to the side of the display, he can get the readings / costs to appear, but can't get the display to remain visible.

He is convinced that the readings were previously visible all the time without having to press buttons to make it appear.

Is he correct and if so, what does he need to do?

If he is not correct, what reassurance can i give him that the meter is working properly?

"You're billed for the gas" won't provide reassurance , as we weren't charged for 2 months over the winter and had to chase Eon)

Thank you
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy @Nessa ,

I'm theunknowntech, an experienced forum volunteer. I'm completely independent of E.On and E.On Next, so everything I say is me personally. I'm also a very good friend of Blastoise186 and he's taught me a lot over the last couple of years.

I can safely say that this is normal behaviour for a gas meter. Because they're battery powered, they go to sleep and disable the display automatically anytime you're not actively interacting with it in order to save power. There is no way to keep the display awake and this is by design. Only electric meters remain awake at all times.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech Thank you. I thought that was probably the case, but it carries more weight if I can quote someone else