Smart Meter What Do They Display

Level 1
    Hi,

I have just quickly looked at some other posts, there seems to be much confusion.

These Second Gen Smart Meters and assume First Gen too. But not the meters as they are the things that record the usage its the DISPLAYS most of us look at to avoid any confusion.

I assumed that these DISPLAYS told us what our bills would be daily weekly and monthly so we are quickly able to see what we are using and budget accordingly. 🤔

I did some quick maths assuming my meter has the correct tariff information programmed into it.

From what I can tell the meter does add 5% VAT to the "Used so far today"😁

But it does NOT include the standing charge 🤨, given that for me this is over a 1/3 of my bill this seems a crazy omission. For many people £1 a day or just over. (61.83p and 41.92p) is a big percentage of any overall bill. Why is this not added to the "Used so far today"?

I get this is a DISPLAY to show usage not billing information but really isn't that what we want to know. What its costing a day?

Yes I also get that its ~£1 and can be added very quickly to any total.

Correct me please if I am wrong I hope I am. But have we paid this much for something to multiply two numbers together x 2 Gas and Electric.

Thanks

Gunnie

These things are terrible in terms of reliability, if I had any other electric device in the house as bad as this it would be in the bin straight away. Shocker shame on whoever specified this mess.
  • 1 Reply

Community Team
    Hi @Gunnie47 sorry for the late reply to your thread, I've just come across this now and can see there hasn't been an answer to what you've posted.

With the in home displays, the usage does add on the 5% VAT as well as add the standing charge to the daily balance (usually around midnight or just after)

When looking at your in home display first thing in the morning (before using anything) is there any balance showing at all? Also, please could you post a picture of your in home display just so I can see which model you have.

Thanks - Pete 😊
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here