Eon electric readings don't match my actual meter

Level 46
    It will be interesting to see what action e.onnext take now. The minimum one would expect would be to stop any customers taking the EV tariff if they have a SMETS1 meter, checking every EV tariff customers billing to ensure that they have been/are being charged correctly.

The supplier also has to take some responsibility for this, don't offer something that you don't fully understand.
    Level 6
    @geoffers

So you are saying that the smart meter dataset does not contain a cumulative value (I.e. Current Active Register reading) for each half hour?

Therein lies the fundamental problem.
    correct - that is my understanding of the spec and confirmed by all the datasets I have seen.
    Level 6
    Are you assuming that meters have two separate Active import registers - mine certainly doesn't.
    What meter is that? specs are for 48 registers.
    Level 33
    @geoffers

So you are saying that the smart meter dataset does not contain a cumulative value (I.e. Current Active Register reading) for each half hour?

Therein lies the fundamental problem.
    Why does it need to ? Not sure about SMETS1, but if you look at the SMETS2 spec (section5.6.4.28) they have in internal half hourly incremental register which I assume is used for the TOU calculations
    5.6.4.28 Profile Data Log
    A log for storing UTC date and time-stamped half hourly data (the amount of energy imported or Exported in a half hour period) arranged as a circular buffer such that when full, further writes shall cause the oldest entry to be overwritten. The log shall be capable of storing:
    i. 13 months of Consumption;
    ii. 3 months of Active Energy Exported;
    iii. 3 months of Reactive Energy Imported; and
    iv. 3 months of Reactive Energy Exported.

I guess if you add these together for a 24hr period they add up to the Total Active Import register for that day.

To store 13 months of half hourly readings for the total import value would take many more bytes of internal memory so I guess it was a memory size issue in design (cf y2k problem)

<edit> Having mentioned y2k - these smart systems probably won't last after 2038 anyway as there's a y2k38 problem looming - the CSV data downloads contain the UNIX timestamp so that is probably how it's stored on the meters😎
    The year 2038 problem, also known as Y2K38, is a time computing issue that will occur on January 19, 2038 at 03:14:07 UTC: Explanation
    • The problem occurs because many computer systems use a 32-bit signed integer to store Unix time, which is the number of seconds since January 1, 1970
    </edit>
    Last edited by geoffers; 14 Hours Ago at 07:44.
    Level 33
    What meter is that? specs are for 48 registers.
    Agreed - my L&G E470 type 5424 should have these, but they don't seem to be being used/accessed by EOn as they are not populated.

They look like they are for 48 different rates, so I guess each 1/2 hourly period can have its own rate assigned

Name:  Screenshot2024-10-05090945.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.1 KB
    Last edited by geoffers; 12 Hours Ago at 09:19.
    Level 91
    It will be interesting to see what action e.onnext take now. The minimum one would expect would be to stop any customers taking the EV tariff if they have a SMETS1 meter, checking every EV tariff customers billing to ensure that they have been/are being charged correctly.

The supplier also has to take some responsibility for this, don't offer something that you don't fully understand.

a simple cross check between the total register and their TOU assessment in a period would be prudent. Computers can easily be programmed to carry out these tasks.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

You would think so, but it's usually the simple checks and balances that are overlooked.

One wonders how many punters just take the bill as gospel without querying the maths or doing the calculations themselves to discover these 'anomalies'. But no surprise that the errors usually favour the suppliers rather than the customer.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 85
    @rwh202
    Before anyone can even crawl, let alone walk or run, every meter should be fully compliant with SMETS2, have full connectivity (preferably using 4/5G rather than the obsolete 3G), and all provide a consistent dataset that doesn't require any translation, faffing or fiddling with. Pointless trying to dream up new ToU schemes or anything else until the whole smart metering system is working properly, consistently and reliably.

@geoffers
    I know what the pipedream is of people in authority, but I very much doubt that the UK population will take to TOU tariffs in great numbers anytime soon, if ever.
    Its the difference between theory and practice. The whole smart meter project is years behind schedule, costing a lot more than originally predicted, and while you are clearly enthusiastic for TOU tariffs, I'm guessing that for the vast majority of the population their introduction matters not one iota.
    Personally the two statements above are the most relevant to the whole debate on TOU, Smart Meters and the future. All Mr and Mrs Ordinary want is to obtain their energy and be billed correctly without having to faff about with apps spreadsheets and what have you. It's time to start singing from the same hymn sheet. A system that is tested in-house not in-home and works for all.
    And before anyone says it I'm not a Luddite purely a realist.
    Apologies for my rant 👴.
    Level 33
    @WizzyWigg - true, but for the majority of people these systems are working as expected without problems.

As per any help forum: it is only the few who get problems who post with their issues, so this falsely skews the picture to look like the system is flawed and everyone has problems.

At least with an open discussion like this (with people with different levels of knowledge, and some making wide assumptions) we can hopefully point to the cause of a particular user's problem and help to get it resolved.👍
    Last edited by geoffers; 11 Hours Ago at 10:34.
    Level 92
    At least with an open discussion like this (with people with different levels of knowledge, and some making wide assumptions) we can hopefully point to the cause of a particular user's problem and help to get it resolved.👍

Amen to that 👍