Eon electric readings don't match my actual meter

Level 32
    @geoffers. Perhaps the TOU is used to avoid having to replace single tier meters with dual or more tier meters? So using the technology saves everybody money. In this case the other tier data (rate1) has no relevance then?

the customer can only check the total consumption in a period and is reliant upon the supplier to apportion the billing correctly from the TOU information, which the customer can check, if technically competent, themselves. While I who has grown old with spreadsheets and importing data in .CSV format I doubt that less than 10% of the population would have a clue where to begin.
    Absolutely - there is no way of checking your consumption/costs from the meter to compare to the bill: which is why this forum is a godsend, pointing us to Bright/glowmarkt which allows you to download your actual TOU usage.

When I started on Drive I was initially concerned about the hour around midnight BST/GMT, but once I could download the ½ hourly usage from glowmarkt I was able to apply my tariff values to the actual data which confirmed that EOn's TOU billing (thankfully) matched my TOU calculations 👍

I don't think dual-tier meters would ever be intended for TOU, maybe just for fixed period economy-7 etc ... The ultimate goal of TOU is variable dynamic pricing based on real time load, so there would be no fixed time "tiers" relating to the 2 tiers on the meter
    Level 91
    @geoffers

We have enough problems on the forum with just ordinary tariffs, but TOU is the elephant in the room. Where is the protection for customers in their use- to protect against excessive bills etc.

most customers just don’t understand their bills as it is, vast numbers of customers have never switched suppliers and equally don’t make use of fixed tariffs. If TOU became widespread they’d be sitting ducks.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @CharlotteEv

I’m wondering is the discrepancy is due to you being charged for both the increment for the total and the rate 1, rather than just the total. You stated that both rate 1 and the total incremented during a charge. We’re getting close to the answer.
    Level 32
    @geoffers Regarding 'Have you added your tariff values into your spreadsheet for the specific time of use to see if your calculations match your bill? (don't forget to add daily standing charge and vat)' No I wouldn't know where to start!
    A quick bit of excel tuition 😁

Put your tariff rate into one of the cells to the right of the 3rd column, then copy the formula multiplying the kWh cell by the tariff cell into the next cell (in this case E2)
    Name:  Screenshot2024-10-03105441.png
Views: 28
Size:  24.9 KB

Highlight the whole column E and set its format to currency £ with 4 decimal places (right-click : format cells : number/currency)
    Name:  Screenshot2024-10-03105759.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB

Position your cursor on the bottom right of cell D2 and do control+drag to autofill the value into the cells below - do the same with cell E2
    Name:  Screenshot2024-10-03110909.png
Size:  42.8 KB

Go to the cell below the computed formulae in my example E13, and type the formula (in this case) =sum(E2:E12) then hit enter and it will total those cells
    Name:  Screenshot2024-10-03111356.jpg
Size:  85.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by geoffers; 7 Hours Ago at 10:22.
    Level 32
    @geoffers Regarding 'Have you added your tariff values into your spreadsheet for the specific time of use to see if your calculations match your bill? (don't forget to add daily standing charge and vat)' No I wouldn't know where to start!
    ... further to my above post - If you're not confident in working in excel, it looks like if you select <go advanced> and then <manage attachments> you can upload excel files (xls or xlsx format)

I'm not sure if I'd then be able to download the file, work a bit of magic on the calculations & upload it back to you. Worth a try maybe...😎
    Level 59
    @CharlotteEv

So following on from @geoffers explanation, and going back to your original post , it looks like you been charged for the energy actually used almost twice.

I suggest you ask for the detailed information underpinning their billing to justify the charges which do not align with the total amount of energy used recorded by the meter. It a billing problem not a meter problem.

Hmmm I wonder if the information contained in this thread from MSE is relevant to the situation the OP finds themselves in.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ouble-my-usage
    Level 91
    @Mailman

seems similar. But it confirms we’re discussing a billing problem rather than a meter measurement problem. Which is up to Eon Next to resolve.
    Level 5
    Hmmm I wonder if the information contained in this thread from MSE is relevant to the situation the OP finds themselves in.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ouble-my-usage
    Almost undoubtedly this is the issue.
    Just look at the 30 minute data - 7 kWh in a 30 minute period when charging at 7 kW.
    The meter is sending the value of 7, but the units are kW1/2h, not kWh
    Community Manager
    Thanks everyone for chipping in with this! @meldrewreborn you're right this is one we need to delve deeper into now but I can can see the support has been amazing so far! One of our Co-Oridnators has already reached out to @CharlotteEv to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Once we do we'll give you and update and @CharlotteEv will be able to share her customer journey! 😅
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 32
    Almost undoubtedly this is the issue.
    Just look at the 30 minute data - 7 kWh in a 30 minute period when charging at 7 kW.
    The meter is sending the value of 7, but the units are kW1/2h, not kWh
    Blimey you're correct 😲 - we'd gone off on a slight tangent and hadn't concentrated on the actual data values per half hour, so the meter is recording the actual kW reading per half hour (ie the charger is pulling 7kW, so in a ½hr period the kWh value should be recorded as 3.5kWh not 7kWh), which is resulting in double the amount being charged!!