Eon electric readings don't match my actual meter

Level 4
    It all went wrong when we changed tariff to Next Drive Fixed V2 and admittingly it took us awhile to actually notice something wasn't right. After numerous phone calls and emails to Eon I am not getting a clear answer as to why the readings are so high and don't match what the meter says.

They said they had re billed from the start date of the EV tariff until 13 Sept so I can see the consumption as a whole.

7.62p/kWh 4429.1kWh £337.45 This is your total consumed on the night rate over 189 days
    29.22p/kWh 2283.2kWh £667.03 This is your total consumed on the day rate over 189 days
    Total 6712.3kWh This is the total UNITS used during 189 days

However when I have checked my actual meter readings it doesn't match up.
    March 17th – 21228.3
    Sept 20th – 24542.3
    This would mean total usage was 3314kwk.

Our car is 61kwh for a full charge and we never run it fully down, we can see each time we charge on the charger app and what is used. We have used a total of 2430kwh on the car charging in this period which would leave 884kwh for day time use.

Please can someone help me make sense of this! It is causing me so much stress and anxiety and I feel like I am going round in circles. Am I missing something? I am aware are consumption has gone up due to the car charging but it hasn't gone up by how much they are saying and the meter proves that. (Landis+Gyr E470 meter)

• 21 Replies

Level 32
    It all went wrong when we changed tariff to Next Drive Fixed V2 and admittingly it took us awhile to actually notice something wasn't right. After numerous phone calls and emails to Eon I am not getting a clear answer as to why the readings are so high and don't match what the meter says.

They said they had re billed from the start date of the EV tariff until 13 Sept so I can see the consumption as a whole.

7.62p/kWh 4429.1kWh £337.45 This is your total consumed on the night rate over 189 days
    29.22p/kWh 2283.2kWh £667.03 This is your total consumed on the day rate over 189 days

However when I have checked my actual meter readings it doesn't match up.
    March 17th – 21228.3
    Sept 20th – 24542.3
    This would mean total usage was 3314kwk.

Our car is 61kwh for a full charge and we never run it fully down, we can see each time we charge on the charger app and what is used. We have used a total of 2430kwh on the car charging in this period which would leave 884kwh for day time use.

Please can someone help me make sense of this! It is causing me so much stress and anxiety and I feel like I am going round in circles. Am I missing something? I am aware are consumption has gone up due to the car charging but it hasn't gone up by how much they are saying and the meter proves that. (Landis+Gyr E470 meter)
    @CharlotteEv - the best thing to do is download the Bright app and register your meters so you can view 13 months of your historical usage in graphical form, (which is read directly from the meter)

You can then log in to the app's parent website glowmarkt.com and download around 13mths of data in ½hrly; daily; monthly periods as required in CSV format which can then be read into an excel spreadsheet to show your usage, which makes it easy to calculate your costs and argue your case with EOn
    Level 46
    Hi @CharlotteEv

Can you compare the meter reading on your IHD (tap OK then the arrow to meter information, then OK) to what is shown on the actual meter. If they are different then your meter is on two rates (I don't have an EV tariff so I don't know if they use two rates from the actual meter or they just do it by hours) and the IHD will only ever show the total. So if you read your actual meter when it's on the Day rate, subtract if from the total that the IHD displays and you will get the Night reading. If you're reading the actual meter is it possible that you just reading one of the rates and not the total?

What does you bill show with regards to meter readings, does it show different readings for day and night?
    Level 59

We have used a total of 2430kwh on the car charging in this period which would leave 884kwh for day time use.

Please can someone help me make sense of this!

Looking at the daytime use only over this 189 day period, you have used an average of 884kWh/169 = 4.8kWh per day. This would appear to be reasonable even without knowing your particular circumstances and how you use electricity in the daytime.
    Level 59
    @geoffers

Can you clarify for all of us (esp the OP) whether Eon Next alters the cheaper nightime rate times IAW BST or do the times stick to GMT throughout the whole year?
    Level 91
    While the EV usage will be the dominant usage at night , other household appliances will also use power.

I suspect the OP is not reading the meter correctly, and the daytime consumption is at a typical level for a family home as @Mailman has commented, which is contributory evidence.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 59
    While the EV usage will be the dominant usage at night , other household appliances will also use power.

Indeed they do. My baseline overnight 8h usage (without an EV) is usually about 0.5-0.6 kWh which means that for my 2 person pensioner household (at home most days) we use approx 6 kWh electricity during the daytime.
    Last edited by Mailman; 8 Hours Ago at 08:06.
    Level 32
    @geoffers

Can you clarify for all of us (esp the OP) whether Eon Next alters the cheaper nightime rate times IAW BST or do the times stick to GMT throughout the whole year?
    The meter itself always records the time of use in UTC time (ie GMT), so when you download the meter data from bright/glowmarkt.com it has the UTC timestamp.

For billing purposes, EOn then apply the +1 hour BST offset when calculating your bills in the summer.

You also need to apply this offset in your spreadsheet if you're calculating your own costs. 👍

In terms of setting your charger times, you always use your local time in the summer and winter, so in the summer the meter actually records midnight as 11pm, but the offset is applied to calculate the bill correctly
    Last edited by geoffers; 7 Hours Ago at 08:47.
    Level 4
    @geoffers thank you for your reply, the person I was emailing stated I could get my data from Loop app but then said they couldn't use third party information for comparison and I had to do meter tests.

When we have looked into are EV use what the car charging app and what the Loop/Eon app are showing differ and when we did a test overnight with only the Fridge freezer and car charger plugged in the meter seemed to match the EV app but not the Loop/Eon app. This was looking at the main meter figure not the other rate. The meter shows rate 1 and total not a rate 2 even though we are on 2 rates. I wonder if this could be part of the problem?
    Level 4
    @Andy65 thanks for your reply, I don't have an IHD so have only been reading from the meter. I was using the first figure that shows on the meter. When I press the button it does go to rate 1 figure and then back to the original doesn't seem to show the 2nd rate but I have gone from the larger reading which I assume includes all use.

Yes the bill does split it between day and night use but it just doesn't add. The EV only uses 61 which is for a full charge and we don't charge every day and its never a full charge.