My new smart meter

Level 5
    Hi I’m new to EON and I’ve had solar panels annd battery installed by them too.

Im on EON next drive tariff so should get two readings from my new smart meter. Day and Night.

But I can only get one reading on the meter and the hand held device is charging me only one price not the cheaper price at night.

Its charging me the day rate even between 12am and 7am so the charge is saying a lot higher then it should ?.

Is this a problem or will EON adjust the bill when I get charged.

Thanks

Neil
  • 14 Replies

Level 92
    @Oversonneil

The cheap rate is billed by Eon according to your half-hourly smart meter readings. The fact you have a single rate meter is somewhat irrelevant.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    @Oversonneil

The cheap rate is billed by Eon according to your half-hourly smart meter readings. The fact you have a single rate meter is somewhat irrelevant.

ok thank you
    but will the handheld device bill price be adjusted ?
    The price it’s saying I owe is not correct,
    I’m only using power from the grid to charge my battery at the cheaper rate 6.9p but the meter is charging me at the higher price of 28p.
    Im using my solar all day to power the house and battery in the evening and recharging before the peak rate.

Neil
    Last edited by Oversonneil; 1 Day Ago at 18:56.
    Level 30
    @Oversonneil - just to expand on @retrotecchie 's response...

I don't know how the battery/solar costing etc works, but in terms of the split night/day tariff stored on the meter & shown on your IHD : this is only used to give you a rough idea of your real time usage costs, and since only one rate is stored on the meter is completely irrelevant.

The actual billed costs will be calculated from your ½ hourly usage readings which will be read from the meter, with the correct TOU tariff applied based on the timing.

If you want to see your historical costings more accurately, download the Bright app which allows you to override the tariff value read from your meter and enter the correct night/day values, which will then give you an accurate picture of your usage costs.
    Level 45
    Hi @Oversonneil

If it were me I'd be asking Customer Services why your meter is only showing a single rate. If, and it's a big if, they do actually bill you correctly based upon your half hourly readings, then that makes the whole concept of smart metering absolutely pointless. If you are on a two rate tariff then you should insist on being able to see both rates in terms of usage and cost.

The Bright app is good but again you shouldn't need to have to use a third party app in order to get the most basic information from your supplier.
    Have you logged into your account and checked that you are actually on the right tariff?
    Level 30
    Hi @Oversonneil

If it were me I'd be asking Customer Services why your meter is only showing a single rate. If, and it's a big if, they do actually bill you correctly based upon your half hourly readings, then that makes the whole concept of smart metering absolutely pointless.
    @Andy65 - the rate stored on the meter is only for information purposes, not actually used for billing

The "smart" aspect of smart meters (as in this case) gives the supplier the ability to read the ½ hourly usage for charging for TOU tariffs.

Unfortunately (some) meters don't seem to be capable of storing multiple tariff rates (although the SMETS spec states they should), so I agree the real-time cost/usage IHD display aspect of smart meters is rendered pointless
    Last edited by geoffers; 16 Hours Ago at 06:20.
    Level 45
    @geoffers If you are saying, which you seem to be, that it is acceptable for a customer to be on a two rate tariff but their meter only ever displays total consumption then that is wrong in my opinion.
    Level 30
    @geoffers If you are saying, which you seem to be, that it is acceptable for a customer to be on a two rate tariff but their meter only ever displays total consumption then that is wrong in my opinion.
    @Andy65 I'm not saying it's acceptable, just stating that it's the fact - and not necessarily the energy suppliers fault.

In my case I'm on the Next Drive TOU tariff which is billed correctly via the ½hr meter readings. I'm not fussed particularly that I can't view real time costs on my IHD. (In fact the daytime costs are correct - who's going to be up between midnight & 7am just to check their night time usage)

But unfortunately my L&G E470:5424 meter is set up as a single rate meter which EOn say they can't update with the dual tariff rates.

I've done loads of Googling and found some posts which say there's single and dual rate versions of this meter. (Whether or not this is true I don't know, but L&G don't have any means of contact to query this)
    Last edited by geoffers; 14 Hours Ago at 07:44.
    Level 5
    Hi @Oversonneil

If it were me I'd be asking Customer Services why your meter is only showing a single rate. If, and it's a big if, they do actually bill you correctly based upon your half hourly readings, then that makes the whole concept of smart metering absolutely pointless. If you are on a two rate tariff then you should insist on being able to see both rates in terms of usage and cost.

The Bright app is good but again you shouldn't need to have to use a third party app in order to get the most basic information from your supplier.
    Have you logged into your account and checked that you are actually on the right tariff?

Hi yes I have logged in and does show correct.

Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images