MY EAC hasn't changed in 4 months.

• Tags for this Thread
  • eac
View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    Just checked back several months and the EAC for both fuels changes frequently. Occasionally stays the same for two months in a row.

Same with me.

Hmmm as an example on the statement issued1/02/24 Gas EAC was 6473 kWh and a month later on 01/03/24 it was the same figure in spite of using more gas in February this year compared to last.

Going to 1/11/23 the electricity EAC figure was 2434.6 kWh and on 1/12/23 EXACTLY the same figure of 2434.6 kWh both generated from smart meter reads.

Curious especially for those customers who have to fight tooth and nail to stop unreasonable DD changes (invariably set too high due to inflated EACs) when the annualised usage is much lower than the EAC.
    Level 91
    The EAC for my electricity for December 23 has remained exactly the same through to April 24, via the intermediate months of January February and March- same EAC.

As I understand it the EAC comes from a national database which is fed with meter information from suppliers. There are a large number of influencing adjustments which make the interpretation of the outcomes next to impossible. But when the EAC bears no relation to customer data over an extended period we are entitled to smell a rat.
    And if the EAC on a collective basis is used for half hourly settlements between suppliers and generators, then it becomes questionable whether the whole system is fit for purpose.Or perhaps for suppliers is a swings and roundabouts situation, whereas for consumers there are on swings or roundabouts.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    @meldrewreborn @Mailman
    Smart meter to DCC to supplier EAC is good,
    but
    Manual read to supplier to DCC/Data Interpreter, whatever, EAC fails accuracy. 🤔
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 1 Week Ago at 07:22.
    Community Manager
    Good point @meldrewreborn there does seem to be some inconsistencies and it might be normal but as @Lee_EONNext said let's get it checked out and come back to you guys with an update to give you a bit of peace of mind or to confirm that something might not be working as it should be.. leave it with us and we'll get back to you! 😀

I do think @Mailman might have it right with smart meters being updated a bit more regularly.. 🤔 as I can see @JoeSoap yours seems to be doing what it should! 😅
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

My EAC has been steadily falling since my famous freezer replacement, but progress has been slow in getting down to close to a rolling 12 month figure. ALL my readings are manual. So they do affect the EAC in time but something has gummed up the reduction process in recent months.

As I said from the off, this is not having any impact on me, and I’d like to think that I can overcome any dodgy attempts to over inflate my DD, but then I don’t believe that I’m a typical customer.😂😂
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg

My EAC has been steadily falling since my famous freezer replacement, but progress has been slow in getting down to close to a rolling 12 month figure. ALL my readings are manual. So they do affect the EAC in time but something has gummed up the reduction process in recent months.

As I said from the off, this is not having any impact on me, and I’d like to think that I can overcome any dodgy attempts to over inflate my DD, but then I don’t believe that I’m a typical customer.😂😂
    The accuracy is certainly showing to be reduced with manual reads. It's the typical customer that needs to be aware, Wethinks. 😉
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

Manual reads are certainly going to be less frequent than those from Smart meters. But that doesn't in any way prevent the EAC being near correct as a prediction of future energy use given accurate previous data over a 2 year period. My monthly/bi monthly EAC's were steadily declining towards my self calculated annual consumption, until they stopped declining and now have remained the same for 4 months. That's totally illogical. It could be explained if Eon Next have not sent in recent readings and thus the EAC will be reported as per 2 years back from end December 2023. @Lee_EONNext please note.

It wouldn't explain others concerns that the EAC is always reported as being too high. I can only verify my own data, I've learnt from many experiences that what people report might not be supported by facts.
    Level 78
    Evening @meldrewreborn interestingly my Eon Next gas EAC is lower than it should a be. No problemo, I have my own figures. 😉
    Level 44
    I've never taken any notice of the EAC on my bills before, when I've looked at tariffs I've always averaged the last two years consumption from my spreadsheet.
    Looking at my April bill, the EAC for both gas and electric are around 8 to 10% higher than my recorded average over the last 12 months, so reasonably accurate in my opinion without knowing how the EAC is calculated. For my Nov 23 bill, the electric is around 10% higher but the gas EAC is double of what is on my April 24 bill, but it does reflect my recorded usage for the period Dec 22 to Nov 23. My assumption is that the EAC tracks the previous 12 months usage.

From the brief look at my bills it's fairly accurate on my account. I'm around £200 in credit and for the second time this year eonnext want to reduce my DD to lower the level of credit. I thought last winter was unusually mild so although my EAC reflects the last 12 months, I'm not sure that it's that accurate going forward. This is why I always take a two year average.

I wonder if there is a much higher factor applied to non smart meter customers on the basis that meter reads, irrespective of how often they're supplied, aren't validated because they don't read meters anymore.
    Level 56
    Having looked at my May statement, the EAC for electricity remains identical to what it was in April's statement 2392.4 kWh whereas the annualised advance was 2357kWh so the EAC is pretty close (just 1.5% higher). The gas EAC did change from 6872 kWh (April) to 7043 kWh (May) whereas my annualised advance for this utility is 6375kWh so my EAC is approx 10% higher and a not insubstantial amount.

It matters not for me personally but it makes me glad that I am back on VDD without the hastle of trying to explain to CS that the EAC can be and is different to a customer's annualised advance.