Night time charges

Level 1
    Hi , we are currently seeing charges on smart meter of between £2.20 - £2.80 , when we get up in the morning , with only the usual electricals on thru the night. Does this sound about right ?

Cheers

Stevie
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @stevie7368

With my standing charges of about 75p, overnight electrical consumption of about 0.2kW per hour and then the hot water and heating on for an hour at 7am, it would not sound unreasonable to me if I saw that at say 8am.

If you download the Hildebrand Bright app (it's free) you can see your consumption of gas and electric down to half-hourly intervals in both kWh and £p. You can then work out where you are using the energy overnight. Don't forget to add on standing charges.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @stevie7368

Also, check your smart meters and IHD have the correct tariffs.
    Level 91
    @stevie7368

How is your home heated? How is the hot water in your home heated? How large is you home? How well is it insulated?

the problem is that we’re not all alike - nor are our bills. Addressing you question requires a great deal of fact checking and detailed work it’s never easy but you are on the right track.

while @JoeSoap suggests he might see figures like yours he acknowledges he’s a comparatively large user. I don’t have a smart meter but my DAILY use is about that level for electricity, which I think is what you’re writing about - but assumptions are no substitute for the true underlying facts.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 21
    Unavoidables overnight here, using the fridge-freezer, two rooms lit with LED or compact-fluoro lighting, gas combi boiler central heating pump hard OFF unless specificly started for a few minutes, mobile phone chargers and telephone, radio, raspberry pi internet computer, internet modem, 24" 1920x1080 monitor, totals less than 1 kWh from midnight to dawn, and 1.6kWh overnight from dusk until dawn. My unavoidable electricity use of 1.6 kWh per night costs in March 2024 about 1.6x30p/kWh +50p/day so just under a pound per day.

You must use the additional 4 kWh or so in your overnight usage of about 5.6kWh/night on something. What is it ?
    Level 21
    ps. To heat to bath temperature 50 litres of water from 15 C inlet temperature might use about 4 kWh. If that is the problem then is a kettle-wash in the morning going to be feasible on alternate days ?
    Level 92
    @wizzo227

If you have an inlet temperature of 15°C, then you have something very wrong with your plumbing.

As for a 'kettle wash on alternate days', you have to consider the difference in requirements between a hair-shirt wearing single eco-warrior occupant, and perhaps an elderly couple or a family of four. Your uber-frugal borderline existence is all very commendable but your methods or suggestions will not apply to the vast majority of other folk living in the real world.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    .. while @JoeSoap suggests he might see figures like yours he acknowledges he’s a comparatively large user...

I've had a proper look this morning and at 9am my IHD was showing a total of £2.18p. That was for 1.29kWh of electric (showing 89p) and 21.55kWh of gas (showing £1.29). On checking against my tariff I could see that for some reason my gas SC of 29.6p had not yet been added. If it had, the IHD would be showing around £2.50. Two weeks ago, on my old tariff, the reading would have been nearer £2.80 with the same consumption so it's important to know that your tariff is correct on the IHD if you use it to determine how much your energy is costing.

As you say, we need more information here so hopefully @stevie7368 will get back to us and let us know things like actual consumption figures for gas and electric, exactly what time they are taken and what hot water and heating has been on by then. A few of us here find stuff like this interesting and like to drill down to see what is going on.

PS... IHD now showing £3.50p at 11am and that's without anything like washing machine, dishwasher or tumble drier. I expect to see somewhere around £10 on there at the end of the day.
    Community Team
    Hiya @stevie7368 😎

Hannah here 👋

The fellas are correct, it's all dependent on who you are and the circumstances you have. For example, we always have about £5 showing by 12pm and that's because we have the heating on from 8 😊

Let us know if you need any more support!
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈