Navigating the usage tab on the E.ON Next app

View Tag Cloud
    Community Team

Do you have questions about the usage section of the E.ON Next app? πŸ‡

Below are some common questions we see about using this feature on the app. Our tech team are always working on new ways to display this information so that it's as useful as possible for you!

Is there something that isn't covered? Let us know below and we can take these questions away to get answered πŸ‘‡

Why can't I see today's usage?
    It can take up to four days for this to update, however, we're working on reducing this.

Why can't I view my historical Smart Meter data?
    There may be some consent-specific reasons for why you can't see your historical Smart Meter data:

Due to data protection laws, we only receive your data from the day that you've provided consent for daily or half-hourly meter readings. If you change your Smart Meter reading consent level, this will impact how much data you can see on the app. The most detailed insights will eventually come from half-hourly meter readings, as this allows us to get a more granular insight of your data. We're currently only showing data from January 2022 onward.

You can view a monthly breakdown of previous readings by referring to your statement. If you've recently had a meter exchange, the details can take a few weeks to update so check back soon to unlock your insights. If there's been a communication lapse, this can impact the historical data or whether you see blank data, or gaps within the data.

Why am I seeing gaps or blank data?
    If the Smart data being displayed has recently halted or you're seeing blank data or gaps within the data, this may be related to a communication lapse which has either been restored or needs investigating. There are multiple reasons for a communication issue such as the meter type, the supplier you came from, the set up with E.ON Next, the set up with the Data Communications Company (DCC) amongst others. They tend to happen when you switch to and from a supplier including a migration, and can happen within the first few months of that journey. If you've just switched over to E.ON Next, please allow a few months for things to get set up properly.

Smart Meters may also stop communicating if there is an obstruction near them or if there's an issue with the Home Area Network (HAN) or Wider Area Network (WAN) signals. To find out more information on this, please visit our help pages. If you need to speak to customer services, please take a photograph of your Smart Meters (not the In Home Display) showing the lights clearly displayed on them before making contact, as this will help to determine the root cause. If the Smart data for either or both fuel(s) was previously showing information on the app and this has recently stopped and not improved within a couple of weeks, please contact customer services to look into this for you by sending an email to hi@eonnext.com.

If a previous communication issue has now been fixed, we'll not have the history of data for that time period and this would explain the gaps. We won't be able to retrieve that data so there is no need to contact customer services in this instance.

Why can't I see a breakdown of my hourly usage?
    We're working on an hourly energy breakdown. We'll let you know when it's available. To get access to this breakdown when it's available, please ensure your meter reading frequency is set to half-hourly through your online account settings.

You can do this on your online account by clicking on My Account > Your Settings > Smart Meter Data Preferences.

Why don't the figures on the usage tab match my statements?
    Your energy usage costs exclude the daily standing charge and VAT, and are shown before the Energy Price Guarantee discount (which ran previously to the end of June 2023). You'll find full details in your online account, on a recent statement or in your tariff info.

For Economy 7 and other multi-rate tariffs, the day and night unit costs are added together and if you have more than one property or meter supplied by us, these costs are added and shown as a total amount. We know that this isn't ideal, so we're working on being able to show these separately for you.

Will you be making any changes or improvements to the usage information on the E.ON Next app?
    Absolutely! And you can also get involved by letting us know your views on upcoming potential changes by filling in this form
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:08.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected πŸ™Œ - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a πŸ‘
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' βœ…
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? πŸ€” Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
  • 26 Replies

Level 10
    I've got a question for you πŸ˜‰ Why is it that my app has now shown no Gas data for the first 2 weeks of January, even though it was there 2 days ago? Electricity data is all there, but only 2 days (15th & 16th) for Gas πŸ˜€
    Level 77
    @solidbond Just for interest do you have anything like the Hildebrand Bright app or something similar to compare what it shows? πŸ€”πŸ˜‰
    Level 10
    Hi @WizzyWigg I do indeed have the Bright app - just as well really, as not only has the app lost most of this months data for Gas, but my IHD has also decided to show Gas data incorrectly - the data on the yesterday tab is actually from the day before, the data on the 16th Jan tab is actually the 15th's but the first date that shows is the 10th when apparently I used no gas. This has been like it for a week and the first available date always shows no usage and all other dates are out by one day!!
    Level 77
    Hi @WizzyWigg I do indeed have the Bright app - just as well really, as not only has the app lost most of this months data for Gas, but my IHD has also decided to show Gas data incorrectly - the data on the yesterday tab is actually from the day before, the data on the 16th Jan tab is actually the 15th's but the first date that shows is the 10th when apparently I used no gas. This has been like it for a week and the first available date always shows no usage and all other dates are out by one day!!
    In respect of the IHD data I take it you have tried the old trick of switching off waiting 30 minutes moving near meter and switching on.
    Level 10
    In respect of the IHD data I take it you have tried the old trick of switching off waiting 30 minutes moving near meter and switching on.
    I did when the problem first arose, but I'm gonna give it another try to see if it works this time!
    Level 77
    @solidbond Great, let us know how you get on.
    As for the app 😡. I have sort of a similar problem. Some times the Eon app shows data but Bright doesn't. Then again it happens in reverse, Bright shows but Eon doesn't. This can happen randomly over a period of days/weeks/months. I do have a long standing Industry Wide Issue which complicates things. My only accurate way of reliably monitoring is by taking manual readings.
    Level 43
    I've got a question for you πŸ˜‰ Why is it that my app has now shown no Gas data for the first 2 weeks of January, even though it was there 2 days ago? Electricity data is all there, but only 2 days (15th & 16th) for Gas πŸ˜€
    Hi @solidbond

I have the same as you, no gas data for the first two weeks of January. As you have the Bright app, just use that. It's recorded all of my January gas data, it always has done, so the issue is with the eon-next app rather than your smart meters/IHD.

The eon-next app is okay for viewing your account but if you want to monitor usage then just use the Bright app, it's reliable and goes down to 30 minute intervals.
    Level 91
    ... I have the same as you, no gas data for the first two weeks of January. As you have the Bright app, just use that. It's recorded all of my January gas data, it always has done, so the issue is with the eon-next app rather than your smart meters/IHD...

Exactly the same for me.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 10
    @solidbond Great, let us know how you get on.
    As for the app 😡. I have sort of a similar problem. Some times the Eon app shows data but Bright doesn't. Then again it happens in reverse, Bright shows but Eon doesn't. This can happen randomly over a period of days/weeks/months. I do have a long standing Industry Wide Issue which complicates things. My only accurate way of reliably monitoring is by taking manual readings.
    Well I left the IHD switched off for about 7 hours while we went to the theatre, go back, switched it on and when it finished populating the last 9 days of data......

No change!! Still one day out on all Gas data πŸ™„