IHD changing totals daily and no usage on app or elsewhere

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hi, so we moved in in April 2021, smart meters installed, gas never read apparently so new meters fitted April 23. IHD reads ok we thought but I’ve started taking reading for gas and electric each morning with KW used but everyday when I looked back the amounts change everyday of historical data by KW and cost? My usage shows intermittently on app and online, I.e only 10 readings properly showing for last month billing period and 10 more only gas or electric. My bright app is the same as well. My bills also show as dual rate electric but not on economy 7. I’ve asked them time and again to check but they say meters are fine and reading for them! Previous usage on app worked until April but they didn’t match bill usage by £100’s but eon say it’s correct. I can’t read my own meter’s unfortunately as electric is behind a kitchen unit and I’m disabled. Any advice on why IHD nor usage showing correctly and what I can do? My bills are over £600-700 month and we only have heating on 18 degrees for 2 x 2 hours a day!
  • 7 Replies

Level 91
    @Njoh0102

It's difficult to know where to start with this as there seems to be a lot going on. You seem to not be getting the help you need from customer service so I won't advise contacting them. Also, if you can't read your meter then photos will be out of the question.

The apps cannot be relied upon so it's going to come down to accurate meter readings and ensuring you are billed correctly for those readings. You should be able to read the meter from the IHD. I would suggest doing that as a start and see how the readings compare to your latest bill. Also submit those readings to generate an up-to-date bill.

You are paying a lot per month but is that what you are billed from accurate readings or is that your monthly DD amount? Do you have a debit balance on your account?

Try the Citizens Advice Smart Meter Checker to see if your meters are communicating properly is another idea.

Edit... also can I ask you to check the tariff rates you are being billed for against what is in your contract. If you are on a dual rate tariff like E7 but not taking advantage of the cheap rate at night then you will be paying over the odds for your electricity.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 17-12-23 at 14:44.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @Njoh0102

@JoeSoap says a lot going on
    if you treat you IHD as a guide only and not definitive in respect of prices and values you’ll be on the right track. Can you record the cumulative meter readings on paper each day?. These will give you the ability to calculate the daily consumption accurately. Is your billing based on actual readings or estimates? If the bills are based on estimates that are much higher than the actual readings reported on the IHD then you have evidence when speaking to customer services, getting the correct readings registered and then past bills recalculated.

you should ask to be put on the priority services Register which at a minimum would entitle you to quarterly meter readings by a meter reader.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap thanks for the reply, we are on our 3rd gas smart meter and 2nd electric since 21, coms doesn’t always work for some reason. Bills are done from readings apparently although the engineer in April stated the gas meter had never worked!! DD is £375 PM but I have to top up in winter several hundred a month.
    my IHD only reads the daily usage in KW and cost, Weekly totals and monthly, I’ve been writing them down every day for previous day however when I go back further on historic days they seem to have changed again. I end up with 5/6 different usages in KW and cost everyday through any week, they are often £5-6 different every day for usage higher 🙈 not sure how I’m supposed to budget and try cost savings when I can’t see my usage anywhere other than reading the actual meter!
    Level 91
    @Njoh0102

What I'm trying to advise is to not look at historic consumption as we know this keeps changing. You need actual meter readings but as this is difficult you should be able to get the actual current readings from the IHD. You will need to go into the menus to do this. You could check these readings once against the actual meters just to see if they tally. With actual readings you can then check them against your bill to see if you are being billed correctly. You also need to ensure that the tariff they are applying on your bills is correct and not an E7 tariff or something that you don't need.

We need more facts in order to try and assist you.
    Level 91
    @Njoh0102

it would help to know whether your billing is based on estimated or actual readings? If there are occasional actual readings that would help to keep you billing near enough correct, but if there are no actual readings for an extended period then the bills can be wildly out.

Can you not ask a relative , friend, neighbour etc to read the meters for you? The gas meter should give a volume reading rather than one in kWh.
    Level 91
    @PeterT_EONNext

Any thing you can do to help?

Welcome back by the way, you’ve been missed!
    Community Team
    Thank you for the welcome back @meldrewreborn (And sorry for only just replying, as quickly as I was back, I was away over the Xmas/NewYear period!)

My apologies to you also @Njoh0102. Is this still an ongoing issue? As @JoeSoap has said above, there seems to be quite a few things going on here that may need looking into.

When checking your historical data on your in home display, it can sometimes play 'catch up'. This is due to to a delay in the information from your actual usage on your meter(s) updating on the in home display, and although this is supposed to show in real-time, any delay in data being sent over to your in home display will be in a sorts of "limbo" and then may be added at a later date, for a previous date, if that makes sense?

The changes you may see should be minimal though.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here