IHD still not working with gas 14 months after gas meter replacement

View Tag Cloud
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Correct. Not only is that information hard coded into the electronics of the meter, but that information is usually laser etched onto the meter housing. However an installer can copy that data to the comms hub as part of the pairing process.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    ....That is done when a new meter is commissioned. If the meter installer did not carry out that step correctly, all bets are off. This is not something that can be done remotely, but has to be done on-site by an engineer.....
    @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn - whilst not doubting that this is the case, Hildebrand/Bright seem to be able to configure their IHD/CAD to be connected into the user's smart meter/hub.

They state that their IHD has to be configured at their end before despatch (presumably with your meters' MPAN/MPRN codes which they already have if you use Bright), but the Smets2 spec also states that up to 4 Type2 (IHD) devices can be connected to the ESME, where their security credentials match the details stored in the Device Log.

So presumably Bright have the means to add their IHD to the Device Log remotely!!

So I wonder why the suppliers themselves can't do this with their IHDs?
    Last edited by geoffers; 08-02-24 at 07:34.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I suspect, being their own in-house produced device, they have a certain degree of remote access to features which simply don't exist on mass-produced OEM devices. Every bit of electronics kit I design and build has a 'back door' accessible to engineering teams. I would guess mass produced kit built to a minimum price point possibly doesn't and even if it did, that information would just not be disseminated to dozens of different suppliers globally.
    Level 28
    @geoffers

I suspect, being their own in-house produced device, they have a certain degree of remote access to features which simply don't exist on mass-produced OEM devices. Every bit of electronics kit I design and build has a 'back door' accessible to engineering teams. I would guess mass produced kit built to a minimum price point possibly doesn't and even if it did, that information would just not be disseminated to dozens of different suppliers globally.
    👍 It was more the fact that Bright must have remote access to update the Type2 device login credentials on the ESME (rather than the device itself, which they still need to initialise manually before sending it out).... so they can supply an IHD without needing an engineer visit on site.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

Well, that's what happens when a meter engineer pair's a meter using their terminal. Hildebrand being who they are may have access to things remotely that the suppliers don 't.

My dealer sold me a car. They don't have the machine to security-etch my widows!
    Level 28
    @geoffers

Well, that's what happens when a meter engineer pair's a meter using their terminal. Hildebrand being who they are may have access to things remotely that the suppliers don 't.
    Agreed - that's when the meters are originally installed & commissioned.

However people in threads here are continually saying that getting a new IHD would involve an engineer visit - however is that just anecdotal or really the case, since it looks like new IHDs can be set up remotely.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I suspect the generic models the metering companies use at a fiver each in bulk don't have the capability or flexibilities the Glow ones do. If they do, then the energy suppliers really don't want to get involved.
    Level 5
    Finally after 19 months, many contacts with support, I finally got a response from the 'Smart' team who looked into the data I sent them and agreed that the gas meter PPMID address is incorrect, cannot be corrected remotely and an engineer needed to attend, but this only happened after the 8 week time has elapsed to escalate to the ombudsman. Engnieer arrived today, didn't have much knowledge of what to do other than force the gas meter to relearn, which I had done several times already with no succcess. He was about to leave and say there was no issue as EON and get meter readings when they poll the meter. After he contacted EON and confirmed this, I persisted that the meter will not work with the IHD or anything else that uses the correct PPMID address as it is incorretly set on the meter. The engineer asked EON if the meter should be changed, initially the answer was no, but when they read the notes, they changed their response to yes, replace the meter. In replacing the meter I overheard the EON engineer support team tell the engineer that apparently some engineers had been changing meters that were faulty incorrectly and causing problems like that I was getting. The meter would never work correctly as it has been set up with incorrect data. This apparently cannot be undone in the field and meter has to be replaced. After a lengthly period for the meter to connect to the network, it is now communicating with the IHD and I'm sure after a few days the DCC will recognise the data from the new meter. Finally a result!
    Last edited by Merrick; 1 Week Ago at 15:21. Reason: spelling
    Community Manager
    Hi @Merrick welcome to the Community! Thank you so much for sharing your story outlining your journey with smart, I must admit you have been through it for the last 19 months so thank you for your patience with this and taking your time to come and let us know about it, this could help so many customers in similar situations and so pleased you finally got a result!

We would love to hear back from you to see how your IHD is working and if you've been able to make any savings or changes to your home because of it 😀
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣