IHD still not working with gas 14 months after gas meter replacement

View Tag Cloud
    Level 5
    I had a faulty Gas meter that was incrementing randomally, even with the gas turned off. This was replaced in September '22. The engineer that did the replacement was struggling to get it operational and left saying it should sort itself out after a few weeks. That turned into months and after 14 months I think I may have cracked why my IHD stopped working for gas but worked okay for the supplier. During that time I switched to Octopus for the Go tariff, but moved back to EON when the drive tariff was available.

I was tired of no responses from octopus and lots of attempts from EON who was determined to blame the IHD. None of the third party apps worked, or third party IHD, all because they referenced the same address of the current IHD when I sign up to them, including the n3rgy site. I then decided to start probing the meters and found the PPMID EAU address, on the electricity meter it matched the address of the IHD, on the gas meter it didn't match the IHD address. According to the meters the electricity comms to the IHD was very recent, the gas meter comms to the IHD was 01/01/00, in other words never. I suspected I found the issue.

Now I had to explain to customer services why it wasn't working, all they would try was to reset the meter or not understand what I was talking about. Finally managed to speak to an individual that actually listened to my explaination and understood where I was coming from. He sent a ticket to the Smart team, unfortunately that can take weeks and even then it may not work. Hopefully they can change the PPMID address on the gas meter to my IHD address so that the IHD can start receiving hourly readings and third party apps will start working.

Anyone here have an inside contact to the smart team to confirm this can be sorted?

Sorry for the long message, but this might help others that may have similar issues.
  • 28 Replies

Level 91
    @Merrick

I can see @Han_EONNext and @DebF_EONNext are around this morning so perhaps they can answer your question at the bottom of your post.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @Merrick
    I identified to E.on next that my gas meter was randomly incrementing without usage in July 23. The problem definitely started mid April maybe before. I know for certain this was happening as the only appliance connected to the meter was turned off. I even turned off the supply to the meter but the problem continued. Completely random amounts on a daily basis from zero to hundreds of cum.
    I provided a video showing all connections both before and after meter off and meter still showing usage. Despite hundreds of emails to e.on, letters to CEO, involvement of ofgem etc I have had no action from e.on. I have had to turn the meter on again as the supply is for the central heating but I don’t know now how much of the usage is real and how much erroneous. I paid for an OFMAT test in August but this has still not been done.
    I am at my wits end having waited 6 months since E.on took my money for a test and they continue to take direct debits for gas I have not used.
    doesn’t help you but there are other people in the same position!
    Level 5
    @suttongMin wasn't hundreds of m3 but it was incrementing even with the supply off. It took some convincing, I persisted however and they finally accepted the meter was at fault. It's been replaced at no cost, though they did want a fee initially for meter testing, I refused and insisted that the meter was faulty, working with EON, sending them video proof with the gas off and meter still counting usage.
    Community Team
    Hey @Merrick

Hannah here 👋

I'm so sorry for my delayed reply! As frustating as it is, our SMART team do have a long wait and there's nothing we can do to speed up that process 😶 - but hopefully they'll be in a position to have a look into your meter soon!
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 5
    Hey @Merrick

Hannah here 👋

I'm so sorry for my delayed reply! As frustating as it is, our SMART team do have a long wait and there's nothing we can do to speed up that process 😶 - but hopefully they'll be in a position to have a look into your meter soon!

Over two months later and still no news.......
    Level 91
    @Merrick

if the IHD is over 12 months old then they’ll do virtually nothing about the issue. If the IHD was new with the replacement and has never worked I’d make a complaint and take the matter to the ombudsman if necessary.

the IHD, promoted so much in the ads, is just a bit of added fluff as far as the suppliers are concerned.

having said that, I have to say that an IHD does have some utility for electricity monitoring, but very much less so on gas. And in official statistics a larger percentage of gas meters are dumb (not functioning in smart mode) than electricity smart meters. One of the things they promote is that smart meters are free, but that also means you have no contract to enforce when they perform less than optimally. Sorry, that’s just how it is.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 05-02-24 at 16:51.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @meldrewrebornYour footnote says it all. Why comment when you don't have a clue?
    Level 91
    @Merrick
    you are welcome to your opinion. Several of the top posters here don’t have or want smart meters because of what they know.

I fully support your desire to have the gas smart being fully functional , including the IHD.
    its just that for the reasons given you face an uphill task. It shouldn’t be the case but being realistic it is. Good luck in your efforts.