IHD still not working with gas 14 months after gas meter replacement

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @Merrick

when your gas meter was replaced did you get a new IHD? Does your IHD provide the correct data for electricity? Moving suppliers is unlikely to be the reason behind your issue.

IHD’s, once paired to a particular meter set up, will only be able to work with that set up. So change one of the meters and a new IHD paired to the revised meter set up is required.

also is the IHD within range of the offending meter? Sometimes meters are outside the property but the IHD inside.

Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Merrick

you will see from this link that the IHD gets its data from the communication hub in your home, as do other CAD devices, so the data hasn't gone anywhere else.. Apps such as Bright connect into DCC data, so that is data that has left your home over the mobile or radio systems and entered the DCC infrastructure for use by suppliers and other authorised recipients.

Data from Smart Meters - The full story

Your issue seems to me (others will likely chip in with other views) to be one of your communications hub being not paired to the IHD properly, and probably being incapable of being properly paired for gas.. You've been bashing away on this for a very long time and haven't got a solution (which I suspect is extremely common - the suppliers don't really care). You can try the ombudsman route. You can buy (but why should you?) a CAD device, or you can use one of the apps.

You really should not be in this position but Its one that the politicians, the regulator, and the suppliers all look the other way about.
    Level 5
    According to the article and how I thought, CAD devices get their data from the IHD, if the Meter isn't sending it data to the IHD because it is misconfigured then neither CAD or third party app will be able to collect the data (they all request the IHD MAC address). EON themselves, cannot collect the gas data according to the app, however they can collect the meter reading when the monthly meter reading is due. Getting the 'Smart' team to respond is not happening.
    Level 92
    @Merrick

CAD devices get their data from the hub, not the IHD. The IHD mac address is used to prove you are the authorised user for the meter.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 28
    @Merrick

CAD devices get their data from the hub, not the IHD. The IHD mac address is used to prove you are the authorised user for the meter.
    Correct 👍 - and further to this...

Details of the Glow IHD/CAD here...

https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/...eter-customers

Buyers must have an active Bright or Glow account when they order to meet our regulator's requirements to confirm we have permission to join the device to your meters

So, when registering your meters with Bright, you provide the MPAN(elec)/MPRN(gas) meter codes. They then use these to connect the CAD to your actual meters (not the IHD)

Some interesting stuff here (if you're a tecchie) about further configuring your Bright CAD for use with your home network using Home Assistant (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Assistant)

https://www.speaktothegeek.co.uk/2023/02/glow-smart-meter-display-and-home-assistant-configuration-tutorial/

Last edited by geoffers; 06-02-24 at 22:45.
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie The article states "This is where CADs come in as they use the IHD data and therefore you can see the data more quickly." If the IHD cannot see the data it is unlikely the CAD will either. If the gas smart meter has the wrong IHD MAC address entered then they like the IHD cannot see the data from the gas smart meter. They can connect to the meter but if the GUID/MAC/EUI address of the smart meter doesn't match that of the IHD MAC address then it cannot be read. The GUID/MAC/EUI address of my electric meter matches that of my IHD however the GUID/MAC/EUI address does not match that of the IHD and the data cannot be read by either IHD, CAD (I've tried the evie Bud) or any of the apps, including Bright, Hugo, Loop, or n3rgy none of which can read the gas data, they provide the correct meter number but no data. The article you quote will be good when/if I want to integrate it with my HA but first step is getting the CAD to work with both elec and gas meters.

Read more at: https://www.smartme.co.uk/meter-data.html © SmartMe.co.uk
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie The article states "This is where CADs come in as they use the IHD data and therefore you can see the data more quickly."

Yes they see the IHD data. That is, the data transmitted TO the IHD from the HUB via ZigBEE. They do not read anything from the IHD itself. Other than establishing ZigBEE pairing and facilitation of the OSI transport data protocol handshaking, the IHD does not send any data back to the HUB or to anywhere else.

If you have a CAD and it has been paired to the HUB, you can smash your IHD to bits with a hammer. The IHD itself forms no part of the CAD communications.

Bottom line is that your replacement gas meter has likely not been correctly paired with the gas proxy in the communications hub. Naff all to to with the IHD, a CAD or anything else, but a failure of the meter engineer to set your system up correctly.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 07-02-24 at 00:06.
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie I am fully aware that the IHD is only a 'receiver' however if the GUID/MAC/EUI address on the gas and electric meters do not match that of the IHD then the IHD will not receive the data and nor will any app or CAD. If the IHD cannot see the data from both meters then nor will any other app or CAD. In my case the gas meter GUID/MAC/EUI address needs changing to reflect the address of the IHD. It's like knowing the meter is there but without the correct 'key' (GUID/MAC/EUI address) it cannot read the data. The gas meter has never connected to the 'server' like the electric meter has, the information is available from the meters.
    Level 92
    @Merrick

The gas meter does not talk to the IHD. The gas meter talks to the comms hub. The comms hub then sends both gas and electric data over Zigbee to the IHD/CAD. The comms hub needs the GUID/MAC/EUI address programming into the gas proxy to match the meter. That is done when a new meter is commissioned. If the meter installer did not carry out that step correctly, all bets are off. This is not something that can be done remotely, but has to be done on-site by an engineer.

Now, without knowing the make and model of your comms hub and electricity meter, I can't advise any further, but there was a post on here a couple of months ago by someone who had the same problem as you, and managed to drill down into their electric meter menu and found an option to pair a gas meter. Nothing to lose...they went for it, and all of a sudden, everything worked.

But not all setups allow that. They just got very lucky.
    Level 91
    [QUOTE=. In my case the gas meter GUID/MAC/EUI Address needs changing to reflect the address of the IHD. [/QUOTE]

while you see that as the solution to the issue, I can’t imagine that it’s at all possible. The solution lies in getting the IHD properly paired to the comms hub and thus to the gas meter. That would inevitably require an engineer visit and suppliers are very unwilling to take engineers away from the very important task (from their perspective) of fitting new smart meters.

We can only offer advice to you on this matter, we have little or no leverage to force Eon Next to take action.