Energy Shift Winter 2023/2024

Level 91
    Hey @JoeSoap looks like I wasn't a million miles out using the 'Reducing' word. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We are of course in complete agreement that reducing energy consumption is the cast iron way to save money and we can all do that each and every day... smart meters or not. This thread is about energy shifting though and for us on single rate tariffs, it is only by shifting out of the high demand window on DFS days that we can receive a small financial reward for helping to smooth out electricity demand 😜😂

Edit... I'm guessing now that you were referring to the 'reduction' in the event window that Mailman mentioned 🤔

Stop tying me up in knots 😂
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 09-09-23 at 10:15.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 78

Edit... I'm guessing now that you were referring to the 'reduction' in the event window that Mailman mentioned 🤔

Stop tying me up in knots 😂
    But of course. 🤣 . No more knot tying today. 😉
    Level 29
    @geoffers

The suppliers can only pull those half-hourly readings after the fact..Usually around 1am the following morning. Long after any energy has been 'shifted'.

If they could physically read the meters every half hour in real time, and plan the next half hour period in advance - different story entirely.

And your case is exactly what the EV tariffs are for.. Because electricity is usually cheaper at night and there is a surplus on the grid so they encourage you to buy it at a cheap rate when the unused energy is costing them anyway, keeping the baseline generation running.

Round here, we are a small hamlet of 30 or so houses. However, there is a large dairy farm at one end of the line, and a very large food factory at the other. I worked at the factory for a bit and I've seen the electricity bills for the farm. They are scary. No point in anyone shifting anything round here as there is no such thing as off peak. The factory pulls megawatt hours, not kWh and runs a 24/7/365 operation running spray drying and powder drying processes through the night that use more energy an hour than I use in a month. I, and the rest of the village, could turn our main breakers off for a whole day and it wouldn't even make a drop in the ocean compared to the load the factory pulls!

So shifting, for any 'demand planning' or 'load balancing' purposes is just irrelevant round here. But simply not using the energy in the first place makes all the sense in the world.
    I still believe that too many people are just looking at energy shifting / savings etc from their own personal viewpoint, and I can appreciate how they don't perceive any benefit of smart meters to them over and above what they currently do.

However without smart meters how can the ultimate goal of dynamic pricing over half-hourly periods be achieved?

EOn seem to have problems updating even single rates, so clearly there are issues, and these sort of tariff are very much in their infancy/still being trialled - Octopus do state that "Agile Octopus is one of our beta smart tariffs"

I don't know how successful Octopus Agile have been in implementing this, but here are a couple of extracts from the Octopus report highlighting these points

https://octopus.energy/agile-report/
    Smart meters allow customers’ electricity use to be calculated and billed in half hour periods, and so open the possibility for those half hourly prices to reflect the real price of electricity as it changes throughout the day.

Agile’s half-hourly prices reflect the real prices of the electricity that Octopus buys a day ahead
    and
    the lack of consumer engagement is a problem for the energy system as a whole.

As we decarbonise, the energy system is being put under greater strain - both through moving from carbon intensive forms of generation to renewables, and through huge consumer uptake of electric vehicles.

To ensure there’s enough electricity to go around when everyone wants power at peak time, we are either going to have to spend billions reinforcing the system, or get people to spread when they consume electricity
    Last edited by geoffers; 09-09-23 at 10:50.
    Level 92
    @geoffers

The 'energy system' is only as resilient as it's weakest link. One weak link in the chain right now is the National Grid and the national infrastructure, which was fine for the 20th Century but is beginning to show it's age now. The other weak link is public attitudes to decarbonising. Smart meters are not the 'universal panacea'.

It should be less about 'where is the alternative energy going to come from to carry on living my current lifestyle?' than 'we're all in the same sinking boat and we all just need to learn to get by with less in the first instance'.

Modern 'tech' uses an awful lot less power than it used to. TV's use a fraction of the power of a modest colour set from the 80s. So in theory, we should all be using much less than we used to. But no, we now have tech in every room, more 'devices' in a single household than you would find in a whole street thirty years ago and we're still using more and more energy per capita overall.

As a thought experiment, I actually once worked out that if the whole of Singapore switched off their air-con for a week, the ambient air temperature outdoors would drop by a couple of degrees and humidity would drop by a couple of percent...making air-con less necessary in the first place! But who is going to blink first?!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 29
    @geoffers

The 'energy system' is only as resilient as it's weakest link. One weak link in the chain right now is the National Grid and the national infrastructure, which was fine for the 20th Century but is beginning to show it's age now.
    Which is why we should be embracing technology (faulty, as it currently is) to mitigate the loads on the ageing infrastructure
    Level 92
    @geoffers

I agree and disagree at the same time. Agree that a fully 100% working, 100% consistent smart energy grid is the way forward, but until that happens...which I can assure you won't be any time soon...it's rather a moot point.
    Level 11
    I finally managed to get on the Energy Shift for 22/23 but only caught the last couple. Took EON a few months to set things up.

I have a few questions as I can't find much by EON at the moment.

Anyone know if we need to re-register or does the old registration still work. I'm hoping EON are a bit slicker this year.

Also and ideas when the Energy Shifts dates start. Based on the speed last time I probably need to register next week to hit the January Energy Shifts.
    Level 56
    I finally managed to get on the Energy Shift for 22/23 but only caught the last couple. Took EON a few months to set things up.

I have a few questions as I can't find much by EON at the moment.

Anyone know if we need to re-register or does the old registration still work. I'm hoping EON are a bit slicker this year.

Also and ideas when the Energy Shifts dates start. Based on the speed last time I probably need to register next week to hit the January Energy Shifts.

Nov to March according to NGESO (i.e the National Grid) more details in the download document.

Re re-registering, you will no doubt need to do this before the start of November, having opted for email comms and 30 minute smart reads in your account settings.

Rewards were potentially better during the early part of last winter whereas the rewards now likely to be measured in p rather than £.

Notification for the test events last year was PM (day-before), whereas this year will see notification PM (day-before) OR AM (Same day) OR PM (Same Day).

Last edited by Mailman; 17-09-23 at 15:33.
    Level 11
    Thanks for the link. So EON will get £3/kWh. I wonder how much of that get passed through after 'administration charges'?

Preferences already set, so need to wait for EON to start the call.