The 21stC options for my 5/6 unused vouchers?

Level 5
    First Post.... please advise what are the 21stC options please for my 5/6 unused vouchers? I and thousands of neighbours use only Electricity (no gas); we have district heating for all our hot water requirements. I've now found I have a credit threshold on my prepayment meter and an excess of Government issued Energy vouchers that makes it impossible to use or add the credit to my account prior to the consumption deadline. I've been fortunate but I will not be alone with this. I know of two people who have not redeemed any Energy vouchers. Unlike some families during this past winter here in UK but especially in Ukraine, Turkey and Syriah, I can be cautious with my Energy use without suffering.
  • 7 Replies

Level 91
    @WilliamColwell1

I would contact customer service immediately about this as the deadline for using the vouchers is only three days away.

If you scroll to the purple section at the bottom of this page you will see 'Contact Us' for all methods of contact.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    Many thanks @JoeSoap and Anasa for your response and advice. I have reported this issue by email and providing photos of the vouchers last week and awaiting a reply. I've received a further June voucher which adds to the issue. I presume June vouchers remain valid for the standard period of time.
    I decided to try to ask on here because of the much wider accounting implications presented by unused vouchers as a %ile of the total. The Policy/decision makers will be oblivious (as yet) to the range of nuances at consumer level of this policy.
    My case appears to identify several of these. I personally know of 2 people who have not redeemed any of these because of their mental-health condition... they cant deal with any challenge beyond their regular 'topping up' their meter payments as they always do. Their quite different conditions mean that neither are able to accept help from myself or others to resolve the matter. To be clear, in my experience, the sole agent entrusted with redeeming these... The Post Office, has not been able to fulfill their responsibilities at the cash desk on too many occasions because of prepayment meter faults or staff shortages and the 'clunkiness' of processing £60+ credits over a fixed amount. That adds to the time and the queues. Thanks for this opportunity to participate.
    Level 91
    @WilliamColwell1

You’re very welcome. I presume @Anasa_EONNext contacted you away from the main forum.

I hope you get the issue resolved.
    Community Manager
    @WilliamColwell1 Anasa here 👋 I know that you've been in touch and are currently waiting for reply but wanted to reach out to let you know that although there's a limit when topping up usually there is NO limit with the vouchers so you can add them to your meter and save them for when you need them rather than waiting until your meter is at a certain level.

Any re issued vouchers will have a date on them to advise when they'll need to be redeem

It would be fab to hear back from you once you have had a reply from customer services. 😀
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 5
    Testing... I am unable to reply here because the token system has expired. Is that correct please.
    Level 5
    Thanks Anasa. That is helpful but was not my understanding. The messaging system lost my text and I've had to rewrite this so apologise; it may not be as refined as it should be. I understand that Eon are still looking at the issues I reported to customer services some time back.
    As far as I know
    1. Time limit: the Voucher system closes tomorrow and because I use district heating, and a 30.00 credit for 'a smart meter, no-show', I now have a staggering £226.00 credit on the meter and
    2. Credit limit: according to the Post Office cashier there is a credit limit on the prepayment meter. Perhaps he meant there was a credit limit on the plastic key (for the meter)? He explained that I would loose any excess credit if I were to load too much 'voucher-value' onto the key... and that there is a credit limit of, I think he said 260.00. I did ask, how that could be possible; it would play havoc with Govt and Energy Industry accounts.
    There is a remarkably abstract accounting aspect to this system. I think what you say is that the key will hold the 5 vouchers value until the meter (currently at full credit capacity) has dropped.
    When you say "there is NO limit with the vouchers so you can add them to your meter and save them for when you need them rather than waiting until your meter is at a certain level."
    I think Anasa, you mean the little plastic prepayment chipped key acts as a 'reservoir of total unused credits' to allow the 'drip feed of more of the current £300+ credit into the physical meter as the credit is used on it... each time refilling to capacity level.. across the next year? Is that right and the cashier misunderstood? Thanks