This thread has become very convoluted. In addition, I am conversing with @LeeDQ_EONNext
who is trying to resolve the issue. For reference, I will try to put the bullet points of the story so far and will keep this post updated as things progress...
1. On 24 June 23 I emailed email@example.com
requesting a tariff update to my smart meters and IHD.
2. The update was in place the next morning but the rates showing were slightly higher than my actual tariff. I think they are non-DD rates (not entirely sure) whilst I have a DD tariff.
3. I persisted in asking for another update and on 28 June I was told the meter had been refreshed again.
4. Within minutes, my account had early exit fees of £150 applied to it. I immediately brought this to the customer service advisor’s attention.
5. At this point, on 29 June, I raised a complaint by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org asking for a correct update or an explanation of why it cannot be done. I have never to date received any reply.
6. In the meantime, my customer service advisor refunded my £150 and informed me that the error occurred whilst attempting a tariff update.
7. It is not only my IHD that has incorrect rates showing. My electricity meter is also showing the same incorrect rates as the IHD. I presume the gas meter also has the same incorrect rates as the IHD but I don’t want to interrogate it as I want to preserve the battery life.
8. My Bright and Eon Next apps stopped showing usage data in the early hours of 8 July and nothing has shown since.
was having similar problems to me with both tariff rates and apps. When he tried another tariff update request it was successful and at the same time his apps populated with up-to-date usage details.
10. I emailed email@example.com again on 19 July asking for a tariff update. This was handled by a different advisor and it too was unsuccessful.
11. LeeDQ, a member of the forum staff, has now stepped in and is trying to find out what is going on.
12. Edit on 10 Aug…
My smart meters now no longer send readings so I have to manually submit them. You couldn’t make it up.
13. I have received an email from an Eon Next smart metering specialist asking me to contact customer service to book an engineer visit but I'm reluctant to do that until I know what they intend doing and is it going to fix the issues.
14. Oh, and my customer complaint was closed before I even received a reply. It has now been re-opened and the issue is being investigated.
15. Edit on 16 Aug...
I have been informed that the loss of communications with the smart meters is highly unlikely to have been caused by the tariff update issue. I have emailed customer service to request an engineer visit.
16. Edit on 20 Aug...
I now know why my customer complaints were closed. Too long to type here but you can read the story here
should you wish.
17. I now have an engineer appointment for 28 September. It's a long way ahead but there you are.
18. Edit on 30 Aug...
Logging into my online account gives me three green ticks (including one for smart meters) on the health check thing and it tells me, 'All's good'. The Citizens Advice Smart Meter Checker tells me my meters are working in smart mode. I'm about four weeks away from my engineer visit and I'm apprehensive. I think my meters and IHD are of a decent type (apart from they apparently don't work 😂) and if new ones (perhaps inferior) get fitted and things still don't work then I'll be miffed.
19. Edit on 11 Sep...
When I log in to my online account I now only get two ticks on the health checker and I'm now told they can't communicate with my smart meter. Something works as it should then.
20. Edit on 18 Sep...
Just noticed that gas and electric usage data has started showing in my Bright app since 9 Sep and in my Eon Next app since 11 Sep. I have today emailed customer service to request another tariff update so let's see what happens 🤞
21. Edit on 20 Sep…
I received a reply to my email yesterday informing me that the update request had been actioned and that the meters and IHD should update at midnight. I had a sneaky peak at the IHD at 25 minutes past midnight and it has finally updated to the correct tariffs. That was easy, wasn’t it? 🤔 My online account still tells me, ''We can't communicate with your smart meter'', when clearly they must be able to in order to update the tariff. Hopefully that will right itself within a few days.
22. Edit on 21 Sep…
I emailed customer service to ask them to try to take some smart readings from my meters. They replied saying they had managed to pull readings from both meters and that they will cancel my engineer appointment. It now seems that at long last my meters are fully functional 👍. Also, when I log in to my online account now, I get three green ticks on the health checker.
23. The only minor issues now are with two months missing usage data in the Bright and Eon Next apps and the wrong tariff rates showing in the Bright app. I can live with that but will update here if that all rights itself.
24. Edit on 23 Sep...
A bit more progress. The Bright app is now showing the correct tariff rates so just awaiting the missing data gaps to populate and Bright will be hunky dory. I also checked in my online account and my engineer visit notification has now disappeared. Oh, and one more thing... I still don't know if Eon Next will pull monthly reads from my meters without any prompt from me yet. My normal read date was 6th of the month before the meters lost communication so we'll see what happens on 6 October 🤞