Adding pictures from a mobile device

Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

That all went whoosh 😂

I appreciate all the help but I think I’ll just bumble along as I do. I get there in the end, one way or another 👍
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @geoffers

Another whoosh moment. I think I’ll leave you and @WizzyWigg to discuss this too techie for me stuff 😂
    Level 80
    @geoffers

Another whoosh moment. I think I’ll leave you and @WizzyWigg to discuss this too techie for me stuff 😂
    Time to chill 🤗. No more whooshing 😂.
    Level 29
    @geoffers

It's easy peasy - Imgur is a great site for uploading and sharing your images online. It also provides simple methods for displaying these images on different websites/bulletin boards etc etc

I was having a dialog with @LeeDQ_EONNext via PM, but couldn't see a way in the PM tools to upload an image of my meter, so uploaded my picture to imgur and sent him the link

It turns out you can put [IMG] link to the jpeg [/IMG] to get it to display in your forum messages (but not in PMs, however links to the images do work there)

imgur actually generates the code for you to use, so you can just copy it then paste the code into your message

Name:  imgur.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by geoffers; 02-09-23 at 21:40.
    Level 91
    @geoffers

Thanks for offering a solution. I’m such a technophobe that it takes a lot to ge me to try something that appears scary to me once I have found a way I’m comfortable with.

What I find easy peasy is turning my phone to landscape and using the toolbar to insert an image in six finger touches. I have used the [IMG] route on another forum 10 years ago but the fact is I now know I’m only having the issue with one photo. I’ve no idea why. If the problem only pops up now and again I’ll just email the offending photo to myself and use my PC to upload it.

The only time I was asked to post a photo on a PM I just posted it on the open forum and put a link to it in the PM.

As long as I can find a way of doing something that I’m comfortable with then I’m fine, even if it takes a bit more effort. I used to follow a really convoluted route to post photos on here when I first started so I’m happy I can do it easily from my phone most of the time.

Edit… whilst I was drafting this reply I added the ubiquitous photo of my slow cooker so I could see how many finger touches it took. I then deleted the photo from my draft. Now it’s popped up as an attachment for some reason and I can’t get rid of it. When this has happened before, I have had to copy and paste everything but the unwanted attachment onto another post and then delete the whole of the original. I always get there in the end 😂
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 03-09-23 at 05:49.
    Level 91
    Here's the next conundrum. I recently posted a demonstration of how I had to take photos with my phone in landscape in order for them to show the right way up when I posted them here straight from my phone. I have since deleted the photos from my phone and see that the images have disappeared from the forum. See the post here. It just gets more confusing 🤔

Edit... That said, I have deleted the photo of the beer and crisps too but that is still showing here. I'm baffled.

Another edit… when I view the post in the first link on my phone, rather than my PC, only the top photo is missing. The bottom one is still there… at present 🤪
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 03-09-23 at 08:05.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I have a smartphone (although I resisted one until the end of last year) and have managed to post pictures with no trouble at all, despite the occasional rotation issue. But it's never been hard to do. I take a picture on the phone, then when I click the insert image thingy on the forum posting thingy, my phone always asks me where to get the picture from. I just click on Gallery and all my photos are there. I select the one I want, hit upload then hit Ok. Works every time although as I say, the rotation can sometimes be an issue.

But most of my forum activity is done on a PC, or at least a Windows tablet. Phones are great but everything I usually do online I just find so much easier on a PC. Sure, when I'm out and about or working away, the phone is convenient for browsing or messaging or responding to posts, but in an ideal world, I'll be doing the real work on my PC with three monitors and the ability to have the forum on one screen, a spreadsheet or something on another and my image software on the third and just seamlessly swap between them with the keyboard and mouse.

Take the E.On Next app. It doesn't do anything that I can't do easier, faster and with more flexibility on a PC. For folk who don't have a PC, I completely see the point, but clever as they are these days, if you want to do something properly, do it on the 'pooter!

Plus, being somewhat chronologically gifted and the old 👀 being not what they once were, having a 'big screen' and a completely separate keyboard instead of an on-screen touchpad taking up half of a miniature screen anyway is so much more easier on my eyes.

It rather annoys me that someone brings out an app that looks rather as if it will be handy and then only offers it as an Andrex or Apple option. Case in point is my Vodafone app for interrogating my router and tweaking my internet.I need my phone to use it, yet my PC is hardwired to the router and a PC program would be far more efficient, faster and allow me to work on a bigger screen.

Victron make a perfectly good Windows app to work with their solar kit, but needs an external USB interface to physically plug into their hardware. The phone app does it via Bluetooth. Yet I have Bluetooth on my Windows tablet, but their software can't use it. The phone app does the job, but on a 9" screen I need my glasses on and I can't pull info out of the app and directly into my spreadsheets. I have to 'share' the data via email and email it to myself and then open it up on the PC!

This modern fangled 'all in one device, palm of your hand' tech is all well and good, but doesn't half restrict what you can actually do with it. Data is like manure...it doesn't do any good unless you can spread it around to where you need it. I find the easiest way to spread anything around is a good old keyboard and mouse!

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchieI too prefer using the PC but once I saw how easy it was to post photos on the phone I couldn’t resist it. It just doesn’t seem to work for me as good as I first thought.

No big deal really but it confuses my brain cell 😂