As an E.ON Next customer, you have lots of options on how to pay your energy bills. Direct Debit is a popular choice that could even save you money with lower energy bills.
But do we actually know what our other options are? 😕
What are the benefits to paying by Direct Debit?
How do we calculate your Direct Debit and the reasons behind why that may change? 🗓
We have a fantastic blog post which explains Direct Debits to a 👕 👉 How Direct Debits are calculated. So check that out for more detailed explanations.
There are two types of Direct Debit:
- Fixed Direct Debit. In a fixed Direct Debit you arrange to pay a set amount each month, meaning your payments will stay the same throughout the year. Your Direct Debit payment amount will be based on an estimate of your total annual energy use split into equal monthly payments.
- Variable Direct Debit. Instead of setting a fixed amount to pay each month you agree to pay a varying amount based on your energy use. If you set up a variable Direct Debit, you will pay for exactly what you use, and so your energy bills are likely to be higher in the winter and lower in the summer.
If you choose to set up a Direct Debit with us (and you can do it at any time!) we will agree on a date that your payment will be taken each month and an amount based on your usage. If you start using more energy, or you are on a tariff where your energy prices can vary, we will always contact you to let you know if there will be changes to your Direct Debit amount.
Can I manage my Direct Debit online?
Yes! You can view/track your Direct Debits online by logging into your account. You can set a new payment date and request to change the amount if you feel like you are paying too much / too little.
What are the benefits of paying by Direct Debit?
- Cheaper energy tariffs. Paying by Direct Debit is usually around 6% cheaper than other payment methods - this is because the operating costs are lower.
- Automatic billing.
- Spread the cost. We calculate your Direct Debit payments so you accumulate credit in the summer to help pay for your energy in the winter - meaning you won’t suddenly start paying more each month when your energy use goes up.
- Protection with the Direct Debit Guarantee.
How we calculate your fixed Direct Debit.
✅ We try to make sure your monthly fixed Direct Debit payments will cover the cost of your total energy use over the year.
✅ That means that in the summer you may be in credit and in winter you may be in debt – but overall your account should balance as close to £0 as possible at the end of each year.
Reasons your Direct Debit amount may change.
- You are on a variable Direct Debit.
- Payment Adequacy. This is a review to ensure your monthly payments are correct; if you are constantly using more energy than what you are paying for we will suggest you change it. This can also change if you are not accumulating enough credit to cover your winter costs.
- Your energy price has changed.
✨ If you need to contact us regarding your Direct Debit 👉Contact us!
✨ If you need help with the cost of rising bills 👉COL guide
✨ Want more information? 👉Direct Debits