Price increase from April

Level 91
    Most will be aware that the Energy Price Guarantee for the mythical average dual fuel customer paying by Direct Debit will increase I April. The average amount will go from £2,500 to £3,000, so an increase of 20%.

Martin Lewis is pressing for that change to be scrapped, because of the detrimental effect it will have on the vulnerable in society.

It is though, based on forecasts from those with a good track record, likely to be only a temporary increase because the price cap to be issued by OFGEM for July is likely to be around the £2500 figure or lower, and the energy price guarantee will not be required much if at all.

The other positive thing to remember is that the oft quoted figures relate to annual usage, and we'll only be concerned about the period April to June inclusive. I've done an analysis of my gas consumption over the past 15 years (I know - I'm a sad person!) and in Q1 i used 47% of my gas annual usage and in Q2 I used only 12% of my annual usage. This is because heating requirements in the spring are so very much lower than in the winter. So although prices are going up in April, for me my gas bills will actually be going down, because usage will be down.

Unfortunately for me my electricity consumption has been fairly stable across the year in the past and so my electricity will cost me more, and my fixed price deal is ending. So I'll be grateful that my recent electricity energy saving efforts are bearing fruit. In January 2023 i used 180 kWh, in the same period 2 years ago I used 276 kWh and in 2021 251 kWh.

There is an old saying "necessity is the mother of invention". In this respect high energy prices have forced many of us to look much more closely at our energy consumption, to reduce the pressure on our finances, and in a wider context contribute to the reduction in the use of fossil fuels.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 16 Replies

Level 91
    There is an old saying "necessity is the mother of invention". In this respect high energy prices have forced many of us to look much more closely at our energy consumption, to reduce the pressure on our finances, and in a wider context contribute to the reduction in the use of fossil fuels.
    ... and I'm one the many you refer to. I started to seriously consider reducing consumption at the beginning of last August with a modest target of 10% reduction on both gas and electric. Happy to report that my consumption over the last six months is over 20% down on the same period the previous year for both fuels. These new habits will stay with me whatever the cost in the future so at least something good has come out of the current high energy prices.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

And I'm over 23% down on my rolling average from last year. Again, it's a good habit to get into regardless of energy costs. If prices do drop below the current cap as some predict, around Q3 this year, next winter might not be as painful as this one.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    @JoeSoap

And I'm over 23% down on my rolling average from last year. Again, it's a good habit to get into regardless of energy costs. If prices do drop below the current cap as some predict, around Q3 this year, next winter might not be as painful as this one.

Same here, I won't be increasing my usage either, even if prices drop so Mars Bars might be back on the shopping lists again.🍫👍
    Community Team
    @meldrewreborn Thank you for this 😊. & thanks to @JoeSoap, @retrotecchie & @Tommysgirl for proving that limiting your usage certainly can be done.

Times are currently really scary in terms of energy prices - we're all certainly feeling the punch 👊. But it is good to recognise that for my family we are going into a 'less gas era' of the year. Collectively my family have agreed to cut our usage by 15% by the end of 2023 and I really do hope that is achievable for us. Although environmentally conscious, the main push is the financial side of things...

What is it that 'pushed' you guys to begin to cut consumption?
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 92
    @Han_EONNext

For me, cost of energy was my primary motive. I also plan to 'pull the plug' at some point in the future and become self-reliant for my energy. Reducing my consumption to the bare minimum I need to sustain a normal lifestyle will allow me to find a 'baseline' figure for an alternative supply, which can then be sized accordingly. We're looking at a community scale energy project in our village which will provide x number of kWh per day for each household, with anything over and above that imported. If I can get my net consumption within the threshold....you know?!

Community Team
    That sounds like a good idea @retrotecchie. The thought of pulling the plug is definitely far away in my mind 🤯, have you got any ideas how you'll become self-reliant? That's really good about the Community project - I could imagine you guys are quite close knit? What are they planning to do? Mass solar / wind / water production?
    Level 91
    @Han_EONNext

Although I’m not from any geographic area noted for being tight, I have always had an aversion to waste of any kind. Money wasn’t free flowing when I was in my youth and we had a make do and mend attitude. We did our own decorating and I maintained my bicycle - handed down from my dad. When I got a scooter I did my own maintenance on that and eventually on my car when I reached that milestone.

I was always good at maths and was careful with money. Performance and functionality were more important than style.

these factors still influence me today though I’m now more prepared to pay to have things done, for example the gutters on the house, ladders are not my style anymore.
    @retrotecchie
    That sounds like a fabulous idea. Well Done to You and the other people in your village. I hope it's a success.😃🥇
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 16-02-23 at 12:18. Reason: Adding infos like
    @meldrewreborn

Well said. Some great observations there!👍