Standing charge for fixed rate customers

Level 3
    @JoeSoap The section of the announcement that you have included does not refer to standing charges.

In the same announcement it says "For the small number of customers who fixed at a high rate exceeding the October Ofgem price cap of £3,549 (£3,674 paying on receipt of bill), they will receive the full discount of 16.998p for electricity and 4.2p for gas. To make sure that those customers also benefit from the EPG we will bring their fixed price down to be in line with the government's £2,500 average threshold."

One might suppose that this means that those customers will also have their standing charge reduced to the 'cap'.

This might be a side issue but from what I can see, EON Next are dancing around the EPG to maximise the profit that they are returning to their parent company who have sustainable energy production costs and sell it to EON Next at fossil fuel production prices.
    Level 91
    @GerryW

Can you please stop flogging this non issue. Joe, I and Han have fully answered your question. Your one line third paragraph above demonstrates that you have actually understood what is happening, despite you trying to insinuate that it isn't happening.

But to repeat, standing charges are not changed for the vast majority of customers. Only that small minority who fixed recently at very high standing charges and unit rates, whose costs after applying the EPG reduction in full are still above the variable tariff level, will see a reduction in their standing charges because they will be transferred to the variable (cheaper) tariff. Nobody else gets any reduction in their standing charges which actually went up in October for those on the variable tariff.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @GerryW

Yes but when the issues of standing charges were addressed you then queried unit rates. I’m not sure what you want but I think I’ll stick to questions about vouchers and IHDs.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 3
    @meldrewreborn I'll give you a gold star for stating the obvious. Just because something is happening doesn't make it right. Goodbye.
    Level 3
    @JoeSoap I have not questioned unit rates, only standing charges. Its a pity that you can't follow a reasoned argument; my reference was to the different way in which they have been handled by EON Next. What on earth makes you think that you're the only one that wants to try and help out a bit? Goodbye
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap I have not questioned unit rates, only standing charges. Its a pity that you can't follow a reasoned argument; my reference was to the different way in which they have been handled by EON Next. What on earth makes you think that you're the only one that wants to try and help out a bit? Goodbye

From your post here ... ''Is your stance that a customer on a fixed tariff can benefit from being on a lower standing charge than the variable tariff but not from a lower unit charge?''

Goodbye to you too.
    Community Manager
    @GerryW Hi there! Anasa here 👋 I'm sorry to hear that you have a few concerns, from what I can see your queries have all by answered by our lovely members and one of us Co -ordinators but if there is something else that you feel has not been answered please let us know... We're here to help you but unfortunately cannot change a process that is happening that maybe you feel isn't right, it's a tough time for everyone with all the recent announcements and we're trying our best to make the relevant changes for all of our customers, there are a lot of questions and together we work through it to gain an understanding, that's what the forum is for, I hope that you do stick around as we are all in this together 🙂
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    I posted above that the government had muddied the waters. They said they were going to remove the environmental levies, which we would have expected to reduce standing charges. But they chose to sweep up the changes and funding into the EPG which only affects unit prices. The government has arranged things so that the average customer pays £2,500 rather than £3,500 as proposed by OFGEM. The fact that technically standing charges should have been reduced and unit prices reduced not quite so much, but still confirming to the £2,500 government commitment overall, is now irrelevant for the October to December period because it will be compliant legally. What happens after that remains to be seen.

The government has implemented a scheme which is simple for them by riding roughshod over some technicalities that have no impact on most customers.
    Level 91
    Also you’ve focussed your ire on E.On Next when the responsibility lies with Government. Most are grateful for the £1000 reduction and the £400 discount, but for you that’s not enough. We are all entitled to our opinions. I’ve often found myself in a minority of one in the past, you can be correct but essentially overruled.