Top up limit

Level 5
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and did have a browse of past posts and didn't immediately find anything on this, but apologies if I'm repeating available information!

Is there a way to increase the top up limit for the electric prepay key from £50? When I first moved into my flat, the limit was around £200 but has been dramatically reduced recently for some reason. My flat is electric only, so as you can imagine, I'm going to get through this amount fairly fast once I switch on my heating, and it's incredibly inconvenient for my to top up the meter on a weekly (or multiple times a week) basis due to my work schedule.

It's a bit of an aside/ moan from my main question, but it's inconvenient for me to top up in a shop at all in all honesty as I don't make a habit of carrying cash for personal safety reasons. On signing up for eon on moving in to my property, I was assured that I would be able to switch from a prepay meter to a direct debit style one, but over a year later and being quite cheekily signed up for eon-next instead of what I actually applied for, I've accepted that apparently this just isn't going to happen. I'm awaiting a smart meter, but I've heard pretty negative things about the app not working when trying to top up using this, so I have doubts about this helping to resolve the issue (I suspect it's just going add a bunch of new ones!).

All that aside, would appreciate insight on the £50 limit issue - thanks all!
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 79
    Best Answer
    Hey @namicass !

I'm theunknowntech, a very mysterious forum volunteer known for having a blue face. XD

I'm afraid the limit is £50 per top-up, but you can have up to £200 on the key at once simply by topping up several times while you're still in the same shop. Simply allow about 1 minute between each top-up onto your key and it should go through just fine.

E.On Next is not currently allowing you to switch to Credit Meters of any kind, so you'll have to switch supplier if you want to start paying by Direct Debit.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 5
    @theunknowntech Thank you! I tried to top up multiple time previously as I had done this before, but the person in the shop was pretty adamant that it wouldn't work last time they tried when I'd asked: maybe the wait wasn't long enough! I'll try asking again next time.
    Level 79
    It also helps if you drain the entire key first by transferring all credit to the meter before you visit the shop. :)

Always pop the key into the meter before going to the shops! It helps to make sure the key gets emptied out and lets your supplier get the latest data out of the meter more quickly.

Smart Meters are definitely worth the upgrade. My friend Blastoise186 is able to help diagnose issues quite easily and he trained me personally. We actually do a lot of training together every month - and what he doesn't know about them probably isn't worth knowing!