Standard Variable and Fixed Tariff Information (October 22)

Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

So in advising customers to stay put on their fix, that was because there were plans developing to reduce their tariffs from 1 October. That's fine as far as it goes. It must be obvious that if the company did not do that, there would have been a mass move to the variable rate tariff.

But if the advice induced customers to stay on their fix when the most financially advantageous step was to switch to the net flex, using the ability to exit without penalty, its arguable that E.On Next was deliberately misinforming and misleading its customers, which resulted in additional costs to customers while increasing E.On Next's revenues and dissuading customers from contacting already overwhelmed customers services. While it will come down to what individuals were told and when, I think an impartial assessor (like an ombudsman) wouldn't take too long to rule in favour of the customer.

This all comes back to clear and effective communication - something that was seriously lacking from E.On Next in recent weeks. Have E.On Next learned the lesson - it appears not!

There is also a great disparity in the information available to the two parties. E.On Next had the OFGEM cost limits and could immediately work out its charging structure. The announcement was on 26 August, 5 weeks before the implementation date. E.On Next didn't publish those rates at all but was clearly using them to recalculate customers Direct Debits going forward. Then the government stepped in with the EPG on 8 September. The EPG effectively killed off any fix price tariffs immediately. It would be interesting to know when E.On Next stopped offering them. It must have become clear very soon that there was no financial advantage to customers in staying on most recently entered into fix price contracts well before the operative date of the EPG rates- old price cap rates then new EPG rates represented a better deal than these high fixes. That is information they had but customers didn't - even the best amongst here were uncertain how it would all work. So, advising customers to stay on their fix, even when it would have been clear at corporate level that was the wrong advice, is arguably against the law - its certainly not treating their customers fairly which in itself is a breach of their licence from OFGEM.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 14-10-22 at 16:47. Reason: added last paragraph
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I wanted you to read my added last paragraph - that's all!.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

I agree they must have known many on recent fixed tariffs were disadvantaged when the EPG was announced.

Where they MAY be correct in allowing customers to continue with the fix, as it was their choice to fix, they should definitely not have advised those customers to do nothing. Worse is when someone actually asks to move to SVR only to be told to stay put.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Totally agree - they're on a loser with this, I'm fairly certain.

Customers of course should have a choice, but to stand a chance of making the right choice they need to have the correct information. That information was denied to them.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 14-10-22 at 17:11.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

As you can see by the time of this post this issue is feeding my insomnia. I’m envious of friends of mine who let all of this Price Cap, EPG, EPSS, fix or not to fix etc pass them by. Things took their course and they ended-up better off than me who tried to devour all the information I could to make the best decision as to how to get the best energy deal.

I tied myself up in knots along the way but when the EPG was announced there was a clear choice to be made. Switch to the SVR immediately (as you advised) or follow the advice I read in many places and do nothing. I chose the latter. Hindsight is a great thing.

Maybe it was my interpretation of that advice that was at fault. I have raised a complaint but expect to be told that I personally did not request to be moved to the SVR so was not badly advised. My bills tell me that I was on the cheapest fixed rate but the SVR is cheaper. It will probably be pointed out that the Eon Next EPG announcement advised that we on fixed tariffs ‘do not need to contact us’ as opposed to ‘should not contact us’.

I know, I’m talking myself out of having my complaint upheld. I consider myself an honest man so if my complaint is rejected due to me not being specifically wrongly advised then so be it. Legal Eagles will be involved and any wording where advice was given will be binding. I don’t think compensation will be paid ‘in the spirit’ of that advice.

I’ve submitted my complaint and maybe others have too. I’ve decided not to get in a lather about it… life’s too short as they say. I’ll just wait and see what happens.

Let’s see if I can get some sleep now 😴 💤
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

I just want to be clear that I am not in dispute with you and I can see from one of your posts that you have acknowledged that an investigation should be carried out if any customers were badly advised.

I’ve found the whole issue ambiguous and confusing. Now I really do need my beauty sleep 😴
    Level 57
    @JoeSoap We have altered the fixed tariffs from 1st October in line with the EPG that was brought in on the 1st. These fixed tariffs have been reduced from the 1st October but will not be backdated further, as the customers have made those decisions themselves prior to the EPG announcement.

Can you confirm that it is still the intention of Eon Next to reduce the fixed tariffs all the way to match the regional cap next flex unit rates if the 17p reduction (on electricity unit rates) leaves them above it. (to take effect from October 1st)

Having received a 'test' statement for 12 days-worth of electricity, it is clear that the EPG 17p reduction has been applied to the v18 unit rate (in my account) from October 1st but not the additional reduction to the cap from this date. See this thread for full detail if you haven't already seen it recently.

I can see even more customer complaints ringing in if the statements about to be issued in the next week or so (esp for v19 and v20 and to a much lesser extent v18 and earlier) if they show higher than expected tariff rates.
    Last edited by Mailman; 15-10-22 at 21:34.
    @JoeSoap & @meldrewreborn
    Thank you for your messages. I had a lovely (and much needed but very rare) 4 days off and so I'm coming back to a whole host of messages!

I understand where you're both coming from. I can assure you that, even now, we have no clue what the government decide on or how that will be implemented. It is our priority as a team to relay this information when we have it, and occasionally, that information may change with business developments. It's not an easy ocean to navigate at times, but you can be assured that you've got the best team on the job! 😉
    Level 57

Fixed Term Tariffs (Next Online)

This one is a little more complicated. Where customers are on a fixed term tariff and are at a financial disadvantage we have made the decision to move them onto the Next Flex.

The customers that we have switched to SVT will have a letter/email in the next few days which will contain all the details they need to know.

If you are an affected customer and are unhappy that we have taken this action on your behalf, please get in touch with us.
    @Beki_EONNext

Just to now add, irrespective of whether or not Eon Next do reduce the fixed tariff rates to match the October EPG on the flex tariffs, I would take a very dim view now (because of the demise of EPG post April 2023) if Eon Next were to unilaterally move me on to the Next Flex tariff on the grounds of saving me money. Whilst it might be true over the next 6 months, it is extremely unlikely to be true over the period after that. Whether to stay on v18 (even with limited reductions) OR to move to Next Flex really must be a decision that I can take. I agree that nobody knows for sure what will happen in the future but even so the ultimate choice should reside with the customer.

To contradict what I posted earlier on, I don't want to move off v18 as I may well get the benefit of it (probably) post-April 2023 compared to possible Next Flex levels. If I'm booted off v18 now then I have no choice when it gets to March 2023. 🥂
    @Mailman This is exactly what is going on in discussions at the moment... We are unsure what will be proposed to customers and we are waiting for further guidance.