Estimated Annual Consumption Over the Years

• Tags for this Thread
  • usage
View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    @JoeSoap

My usage fluctuates between 0.05 and 0.1 kW per hour between the same hours but I have a single fridge freezer. The compressor cycle being the cause of this difference.

Level 91
    @Mailman

Am I right in thinking the FF only has one compressor? If so, it probably uses a bit less than a separate fridge and freezer. With one integral fridge, one integral freezer, one free-standing larder fridge and one small free-standing chest freezer (in the garage) I would expect to use around double of what you do for refrigeration.

I’m still waiting for the Bright app to fully populate but here’s what I observed during a night of fitful sleep interspersed with sneaks downstairs combined with some early Bright data…

The free-standing fridge being off cut early hours consumption by about 20 watts per hour. That doesn’t seem outrageous to me.

The integrated freezer compressor always seemed to be running when I went to the kitchen. I switched it off at the thermostat and cut current usage by 50 watts. That seems reasonable for a compressor. I left it off for three hours so will see what Bright says later.

I googled freezer compressor frequency and many answers suggested they are running most of the time.

Just before 7am I switched off all refrigeration and consumption dropped to around 130 watts. It looks like all four appliances together account for about 80 watts of every hour’s usage.

I then switched off the external lights and consumption dropped to 110 watts. I made sure the boiler wasn’t firing and the pump in the airing cupboard was off. So where am I using this 110 watts every hour?

I switched off the power to easily accessible AV equipment in one room. This was power to a tv and a fire stick. I left the PVR on standby so it didn’t lose the recording schedule. That only shaved off 3 watts.

I have 107 watts still showing on the IHD. What’s using it?

There are three more televisions, one freesat box, one fire stick, one dvd player with power applied. It’s awkward to switch most of this stuff off and the freesat pvr would lose its recording schedule.

There’s the router, printer and PC speakers, oven clock, microwave clock, IHD and three phones on charge.

I’m not sure that little lot would use 107 watts so I might have some leakage somewhere. I could certainly shave a bit more off by killing some AV stuff but judging by the 3w the little telly and fire stick consumes, it might only be around 15-20watts.

That might leave around 90 watts unaccounted for. I’ve just switched off the cooker switch to isolate the oven. That only got rid of 1 watt.

I’ll do some more investigating at my leisure. 90 watts isn’t a whole lot but at 65p per day that’s about £20a month or £240 a year.

What have I started now? 😂
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 11-10-23 at 07:35. Reason: Added a bit
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

i know of a widow living on her own in a 3 bed house who has 2 fridges and 2 freezers going. I despair at the waste that involves but she can easily afford the energy running costs.

convenience comes at a cost but I’m not sure of the exact reasoning behind her actions.

and I’m not running a dating agency on her behalf.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    @JoeSoap

Welcome to the rabbit hole of the 'phantom power draw'. I know that when there is just the 'always on' appliances. FF compressor not on, my baseline draw is about 36-38W. The 'always on' appliances - FF, Router, Virgin Hub (in modem mode only , power to Virgin FTTP coax internal box, Phone, Virgin PVR (although left on standby overnight and when not being used) and bedside clock. With the FF compressor on I figure this jumps to maybe about 100W or so (I've forgotten). Timewise, looking at my overnight usage I think maybe the FF is on about 50% of the time - I could be wrong but will check the next time I'm in the same room as the FF for a couple of hours during the day. I generally switch off at socket and/or pull out plugs when appliance not in use - cooker and hob (both 13 amp sockets to power them), washing machine, tumble dryer, TV and AV (on surge protected extension) PC + Speakers + Monitor(s) (on separate surge protected extension). 🔊 Ah FF has just gone into compressor-off cycle @ 1005 I'll try to listen in for it coming to life again. The usage now showing 160W but the PC+Monitor is on drawing maybe 100W or so.

Cannot hang around all day as the windows need washing 🔎

Edit: FF compressor still dormant ATM 1042 but not really got to shift that grime
    Last edited by Mailman; 11-10-23 at 09:43.
    Level 91
    ... and I’m not running a dating agency on her behalf.

It never crossed my mind that you were... until you mentioned it 😂
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

my old freezer was running most of the time because it had most probably lost gas and thus had to work longer to maintain the temperature. The power draw per hour of operation didn’t change but the number of hours that it operated had gradually increased.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Your baseline draw is, let's say, 37w. Mine is 110w with all AV on standby but with PC switched off. Almost three times as much.

Bright data suggests my suspect fridge draws an average of 20Wh and the freezer that I thought had the compressor running a lot draws an average of 17Wh. The compressor may only run for about 20 mins an hour overnight at present. These are just comparisons against the previous night's usage, so nothing too technical.

My attention has been drawn away from the refrigeration appliances to the 110w that is being consumed when there's just the AV stuff on standby etc. I will have to do some digging when I've got the house to myself for an hour. As I say, I think there is about 90w unaccounted for. Subtract that from my current 0.21kWh overnight and I'd be down to a more respectable 0.12kWh, which with two fridges and two freezers sounds alright.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

Your baseline draw is, let's say, 37w. Mine is 110w with all AV on standby but with PC switched off. Almost three times as much.

Bright data suggests my suspect fridge draws an average of 20Wh and the freezer that I thought had the compressor running a lot draws an average of 17Wh. The compressor may only run for about 20 mins an hour overnight at present. These are just comparisons against the previous night's usage, so nothing too technical.

My attention has been drawn away from the refrigeration appliances to the 110w that is being consumed when there's just the AV stuff on standby etc. I will have to do some digging when I've got the house to myself for an hour. As I say, I think there is about 90w unaccounted for. Subtract that from my current 0.21kWh overnight and I'd be down to a more respectable 0.12kWh, which with two fridges and two freezers sounds alright.

A modern PC with an ATX power supply will draw around 15-25W switched off unless you turn it off at the plug and if your monitor has a 'standby mode' where it 'switches off' when there's no signal then that will draw about 5W. My Humax Freeview PVR takes about 15W in standby and my router pulls 10W. My stereo draws about 7W in standby as it has a clock, and there are any number of silly little things that also draw a few watts...the power supply for my wireless doorbell, the TV aerial amplifier and the clock on the microwave.

My cordless phone and internet router are powered through a UPS and that takes a watt or two to maintain the battery and keep the monitoring electronics working. It all adds up!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

my old freezer was running most of the time because it had most probably lost gas and thus had to work longer to maintain the temperature. The power draw per hour of operation didn’t change but the number of hours that it operated had gradually increased.

Probably consuming well over 1kWh a day then?
    Level 91
    A modern PC with an ATX power supply will draw around 15-25W switched off unless you turn it off at the plug and if your monitor has a 'standby mode' where it 'switches off' when there's no signal then that will draw about 5W. My Humax Freeview PVR takes about 15W in standby and my router pulls 10W. My stereo draws about 7W in standby as it has a clock, and there are any number of silly little things that also draw a few watts...the power supply for my wireless doorbell, the TV aerial amplifier and the clock on the microwave.

My cordless phone and internet router are powered through a UPS and that takes a watt or two to maintain the battery and keep the monitoring electronics working. It all adds up!

I didn't know the PC consumed when I switched it off. I do also switch the monitor off but not at the mains. I forgot about the landline cradle and tv aerial booster. Maybe my hidden 90w is in plain sight.