Best room thermostat - any thoughts?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 77
    5 serious incidents in the North West in 2023 due to gas explosions! 🤔
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 15-01-24 at 10:24. Reason: Extra information
    Level 92
    Someone in Swansea 'modified' their boiler last year to try and make it more economical.

A danger to yourself is one thing. It's the danger to others that worries me...

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 39
    @retrotecchie

I completely agree with you about the danger to others caused by unqualified individuals 'modifying' gas boilers. Well said! 👍. There is absolutely no need for them or anyone to be rude and resort to insults and 'name-calling' either.
    Community Team
    Happy Monday posters! 😊

It's great to see conversation around such an important topic - boilers!

Any work to your boiler NEEDS to be completed by a gas-safe engineer and the consequences of not doing this can be distraught.

Back to it 😊 @Gwyndy I'm glad you've got it sorted! I actually have the EPH CP4 system at home. It must of heard us chatting, because the heating didn't come on this morning when it was supposed to 🤣
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 91
    @Tommysgirl @retrotecchie

tampering with the gas supply pipes , sometimes to bypass the meter, is completely unacceptable and a danger to themselves and others. But the industry goes overboard in dissuading people from simple DIY jobs like replacing a Honeywell type valve or a pump, by playing the safety card.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl @retrotecchie

tampering with the gas supply pipes , sometimes to bypass the meter, is completely unacceptable and a danger to themselves and others. But the industry goes overboard in dissuading people from simple DIY jobs like replacing a Honeywell type valve or a pump, by playing the safety card.

There's no problem in replacing a pump or valve like for like. It's faffing with control systems and potentially causing a boiler to operate outside of manufacturers certification and design parameters that is the issue here. Such 'hacks' as bypassing solenoids or replacing the original controllers potentially causing the boiler to run outside of it's test specifications are an absolute no-no and should not be undertaken by anyone not qualified to do so, whether it is in your own property or not.

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Has the cause of the Swansea explosion been determined? You have the advantage of living closer to the scene than I so might have heard something that's not made the media.
    Level 91
    Happy Monday posters! 😊

It's great to see conversation around such an important topic - boilers!

Any work to your boiler NEEDS to be completed by a gas-safe engineer and the consequences of not doing this can be distraught.

Back to it 😊 @Gwyndy I'm glad you've got it sorted! I actually have the EPH CP4 system at home. It must of heard us chatting, because the heating didn't come on this morning when it was supposed to 🤣

You are contributing to the misinformation:

paragraph 83 of the guidance reads as follows

83 Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be competent to do so (whether or not they are required to be a member of an approved class of persons). Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of work done,"

So its relevant here to particularly note "does work on a Gas fitting" and the competence required " Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be competent to do so (whether or not they are required to be a member of an approved class of persons). Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of work done, but needs only to be sufficient for and relevant to that work.

And electrical work to control systems isn't covered here. While there is the law, there is also common sense. Don't interfere with things you know nothing about. And limit risks by employing qualified tradesperson if you don't have the required competences.

Obviously a gas explosion at a domestic premises fairly automatically implies that work has been done by a non competent person, except if other factors have caused damage to the gas services.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 15-01-24 at 13:13.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Prohibited Work

The law surrounding safe boiler repairs is comprehensive, as you can imagine.

The type of repairs that you can’t do yourself include:
    ● Installing or reconnecting the boiler
    ● Maintaining, servicing, renewing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, or altering the boiler
    ● Purging the boiler of gas
    ● Changing the position of the boiler, if it is not readily moveable
    ● Removing the boiler

So, unless you’re on the Gas Safe Register … you’ll have to call in the professionals.

If you really, really want to save some pennies and have a go at repairing your own boiler, there are a handful of tasks that, legally, you can have a go at - if you’re competent to do so.
    While they aren’t prohibited by law, they’re still potentially complicated so if you’re unsure, it’s still a good idea to leave it alone.

Now you’ve been warned, here’s what you are allowed to do:
    ● Work that is described within the end user’s manual
    ● Remove decorative casings, if they are designed to be removed
    Level 56
    It has never occurred to me to go in for the kind of 'alterations' that one of the respondants to this thread is suggesting. And this remains my view about gas boilers for sure. Never have tampered with them and never will other than very basic setting adjustments (DHW temp/CH flow temp). As for programmable thermostats I wonder what we would do without them - hold up your finger in the air? My preference (and it is only a preference) is for a wireless unit now that I have lived with it for over 2 years. It (the ESI Wireless Programmable Thermostat) usually stays in the lounge but it might be moved to the other part of my bungalow that is predominantly in the shade at this time of year depending on what is going on. Other than this the programme stays pretty much the same for every day.