Switching away from EON

Level 3
    I’ve had a lot of correspondence with eon over the slow agreeing of meter readings now I’ve left Eon for octopus.

I have a credit of £523 (now £648 with customer service payments) after switching.

alas the process is broken for agreeing meter reads with new providers:

so eon continues to hold my money and I’m already paying octopus for new service.

its reasonable apparently in the eyes of often and eon to keep my money for an almost indefinite period up to ten weeks while they “agree” the last reading - which is the same on my eon bill and my octopus bill.

There isn’t a discrepancy, if there was it might be a unit at all but still they think it’s morally right to hold my funds (about four months usage in credit) and make me pay even more to new supplier.

in what planet is this customers service?

its left me and my family short of money and it really seems they can’t help in any way other than offer more credit which I still can’t access as they haven’t sorted out their non transparent process.

octopus say it’s EoN fault and eon say it’s octopus.

I don’t actually care, I just want a refund.

I do not now have an account with eon so contractually they cannot keep my money. There’s nothing in my contract about this indeterminate delay,
  • 11 Replies

Level 91
    @TonyB

You haven't provided any dates so it's unclear if any rules have been broken by the suppliers. According to citizens advice ...

''You’ll need to pay your final bill to your old supplier. They’ll send it to you within 6 weeks. If they don’t send your final bill in time, they might owe you compensation.

''If you have money left on your account with your old supplier, they’ll refund you. They must refund you within 10 working days of sending you the final bill. If they don’t refund you in time, they might owe you compensation.''

It looks like they have about eight weeks from the switch date to get your refund to you.

In my experience the refund of credit balance process is faster if you leave your DD instruction in place.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 3
    Whilst rules have not been broken in terms of organ and you meeting your obligation with them, no “ruels” have been broken. However my contract ended with you on the day you sent me a bill using actual readings meaning I no longer have any business with you. If there were to be a discrepancy then 6.1 of the contract would allow you to claim any money due.

why you choose to do, it to retain over £500 for no reason for up to eight weeks and then if you get around to refunding it you’ll take another ten days to repay me my own money. That is disproportionate and not in the spirit
    of the outdated ofgem rules.

it leaves me without funds and putting a new utility bill for over two months, alomst
    three. And yet your company aims to help those
    in financial distress. You are CAUSING distress to me be holding money I cannot possibly owe you.
    Level 91
    @TonyB

You may be unaware that this is a customer-to-customer forum. There are some admin staff who have Eon Next after their names but I’m a customer like yourself. I’m not saying I don’t have sympathy with your situation, and I’m not defending Eon Next, but am only trying to establish some facts to add balance to the thread so that others who read it understand what the procedure is when changing supplier. It might be advisable for those with large credit balances to request a refund prior to switching.

I hope you get your refund soon.
    Level 91
    @TonyB

These disputes are completely avoidable if the suppliers agree the readings quickly. It’s one scenario where working smart meters have an advantage over traditional meters Taking photos of the meters on switch over day is a good idea. Getting your built up credit refunded before switching would also be sensible, though of course if things went smoothly that action wouldn’t be necessary. Holding on to customers money is it seems an ever present gripe with energy suppliers and the regulators do little about it.
    your are already making complaints and you need to persist with these, including going to the ombudsman. I’d ensure your money was repaid today if I could, but I don’t have that ability.
    Hope this gets resolved quickly.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 3
    The process for maximum time is not mandated by ofgem. It is telling you the maximum time you are allowed to take. It does not say “hold onto every penny you can”.

amazing in here you tell me to withdraw credit before leaving. Firstly doing that is difficult enough before leaving. You should try it. But you say below it’s the way forward. I’ve. Necked your website and it doesn’t say anything about this. And my contract certainly didn’t suggest this.

irs plain awkness and pure “computer says no” on the part of eon.
    Level 91
    @TonyB

Can you please tell us what your switch date was and if you have raised any customer complaint? Maybe I'm missing something but I still can't see if this is anything more than the usual ache of switching supplier.

Once again, unless someone with Eon Next in their name responds to this thread, you are talking to customers like yourself.
    Level 91
    The process for maximum time is not mandated by ofgem. It is telling you the maximum time you are allowed to take. It does not say “hold onto every penny you can”.

amazing in here you tell me to withdraw credit before leaving. Firstly doing that is difficult enough before leaving. You should try it. But you say below it’s the way forward. I’ve. Necked your website and it doesn’t say anything about this. And my contract certainly didn’t suggest this.

irs plain awkness and pure “computer says no” on the part of eon.

I got my excess credit back from Eon Next and EDF quite simply by following the guidelines - Register an up to date reading and then phone in to get the credit refunded. It does take quite a few days to arrive (with no good reason given for the delay) but it does work. I also got my Direct Debit adjusted down at the same time. Nobody has responded to this thread from Eon Next yet - all the comments are from other members of the public.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I think his credit has increased by £125 because of poor customer service. So to me the complaint angle has been invoked.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

I think his credit has increased by £125 because of poor customer service. So to me the complaint angle has been invoked.

Probably correct... but we don't know the circumstances of that for sure. It's difficult to pass further comment without more specific information.