Direct debit payment

Level 13
    @theunknowntech

OVO website: You’ll receive your discount as a refund. This means you’ll carry on paying your full Direct Debit amount.
    Once the Direct Debit payment has cleared, we’ll refund the monthly discount amount to your bank account shortly after.

OVO have it right too, just like EDF. No messing about changing direct debits. Just think, we will have to go through all this again in reverse next March when the assistance ends. Once again, EONext will have the opportunity to get our direct debits wrong ..... and then correct it badly .... and then try again. It might be sorted by about September 2023.
    Last edited by GSimpson; 02-10-22 at 12:52.
    Level 78
    Indeed. I'm actually a friend of Blastoise186 and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have known what advice to offer here about EBSS - because the community team here definitely didn't give us any information in the restricted areas where we're supposed to get a heads up!

Personally, I agree with Blastoise that it makes more sense to take the full Direct Debit as per the schedule each month and then fire off a refund to fling the discount back as a refund later, and only apply a direct discount for anyone not paying via DD. Many people consider Blastoise to be an absolute oracle when it comes to energy related stuff, and I can tell you now, he spent tons of time compiling information together with help from all of his friends, myself included.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 43
    No, it's not the way it has been agreed with the Government. There is no agreement about how it will be done. EDF have the right idea. Their website says

"How you'll receive your energy discount
    "An automatic refund each month to the bank account your Direct Debit payments are taken from."

Why do EONext manage to get it so wrong ...... again?

From Gov.uk:

Name:  DD.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  21.6 KB
    Level 13
    Well unearthed, Andy. It seems EONext had the choice of two methods of refund ..... and chose the most complicated one with the most opportunities for getting it wrong. And they can get it wrong again next March when they have to reverse out of the situation.
    Level 5
    Hi thanks for reply yes mine gets taken on the 1st so I guess I should see this week I expect to see a payment of 333 then a credit of 67 totalling the 400. I always had a message to say I should carry on paying 400 regardless . I am in credit too but have kept the credit running so not asked to pay anymore than 400! 🙈
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn thanks for reply I would normally check my eon account I am hoping it will show my payment and then their payment of the 67. A most complicated way to go around it I think . By reducing my payment by 67 pounds it doesn’t make sense will just be paying less for the same bill
    Level 91
    @Janed

You're correct inasmuch as you will be paying less for the same bill, by £67. But... the government will be paying £67 towards the same bill. So the bill will be settled and you will have saved £67.

Your normal DD is £400 if I read your previous post correctly. The £400 will still be credited to your account and you will end up in the same place as if you continued to pay that amount and the government help scheme didn't exist. The end result after six months will be the same as if you had paid your normal DD every month and the government had put £400 in your bank account.

This £66 or £67 per month will be a genuine saving for you.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    I am one of these folks with a monthly payment of under £66 (£45). But not surprisingly Eon haven't got a scooby how they will be applying this credit. In theory my DD should be zero and then ill be getting a refund of £21 to the bank account. However eon website saying the £45 is still going to be extracted from my bank account on 22nd. So whens the £66 being given back to me? Its a stinking mess!

my bill is already £90ish in credit due to eon turning my single rate meter into a duel rate meter virtually and then double charging me for the same energy.
    Level 43
    Hi @sandco

My DD has dropped to zero in my eon-next account and there's no money going out from my bank account tomorrow, so for me there are bits that have been done right. As my DD was due to be paid on the 1st of every month, it could be that they are processing accounts in date order (of DD), but I'm guessing because there's no other information available. Therefore you may not see the payment change until just over a week before the 2nd.
    Level 13
    @sandco

EONext won't be sending any money back to your bank account. If you want your credit refunded you'll have to speak with them. They will argue that they are trying to be helpful and stopping you getting into debt. You will reply that they are mistaken. You are not in debt, you will not be in debt and OFGEN have said they have to return credit to the customer when asked.