Two Questions for the Community Co-ordinators

Level 6
    Just a couple of questions that the community co-ordinators may be able to answer, or any one else on the Forum.

1. Why do we have to ask to have our HID units updated, when they could be updated automatically on tariff changes.

2. Why after over a year are we still not getting our actual usage shown on either the app or web site, only the monthly High mid and low kWh, it can be done because we can see via ivie or Bright apps. British gas have been giving me my 1/2 hour usage online and via their app for over 3 years.

Hoping for a reply Lee
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Lee29

1. Tariff changes are generally automatic, and should be deployed whenever anything changes but for various technical factors to do with the way the communications network works, some meters do indeed 'not get the memo'.

While the updates were being deployed, your meter may have been busy updating it's internal housekeeping or sending readings or whatever and not been in listening mode (think engaged phone).

There is also no 'protocol' within the smart metering system for 'handshaking'. That is to say 'Did you get my last message?. No? I'll send it again then.'

Should have been incorporated into the standard. It wasn't.

So sometimes, that extra push is required.

2. That is just a function of the simplified portal software platform (Kraken) used by E.On and also Octopus.

There is no legal obligation on energy companies to supply you with anything more than accurate billing information, which is why apps like Bright exist. My previous suppler, Igloo, provided better data, as do EDF. It is what it is. To be fair, my data and my historical usage, trends, costs and a shed-load of other data is far more easily managed with a spreadsheet and regular readings of my non-smart meter.

Which is the main reason I don't want a smart meter. They bring nothing to the party, in my opinion, other than increased costs on my standing charges to pay for the rollout.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Thanks @retrotecchie forthe in-depth run down above, spot on!

@Lee29 Thought I'd jump on as we have a small update about this part of our app. The usage tab doesn't always display the right information, it sees delays (and sometimes doesn't display the gas usage at all!)

We're working on this part of the app to make things more transparent, and accurate. The decision was initially made to remove this function from the app but this has since changed - soon, you'll see a message pop up when viewing this tab advising that we're aware of a few issues, from there, this will allow you to continue looking at this part of the app with the understanding that at the moment, all information may not be showing/some may not be up to date.

Our tech team are working on incorporating half-hourly data usage into this and this will be available in a future update (can't confirm when this will be I'm afraid)

The Bright app is a great alternative though for usage tracking for now!
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here