Allotment / Grow Your Own Chat

Level 77
    @Mailman has found wonderful recipes with the slow cooker ! Even are also Italian and I was well shocked as they looked very delicious !

I've missed @Mailman recipes. Sounds very interesting. Can you point me in the direction of them. Love Italian food. Truthfully I love all food. ๐Ÿ˜‚
    I've missed @Mailman recipes. Sounds very interesting. Can you point me in the direction of them. Love Italian food. Truthfully I love all food. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I mean Italians are masters in loving all the food,๐Ÿ˜‹ even if we can be very judgemental at times ๐Ÿ˜…

I think with the summer coming, maybe we should create a post to share our summer low cost recipes! I will definitely have a few easy ones that we usually do in Italy which don't cost much to do energy wise and great with the warm weather ๐Ÿ˜
    Level 77
    @Bennie_EONNext
    Italian Indian Chinese Taiwanese Carribbean etc. ๐Ÿ˜‹ The list goes on and on. When ever anyone mention's food I start to feel hungry. ๐Ÿ˜Š Oh well off to raid the kitchen. ๐Ÿคซ
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

I have a choice of fridges to raid. Unfortunately, the replenishment fairy doesn't appear to have been yet. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Since I've gone semi-retired, I'm not spending the amount of time I did overseas, so I'm missing a lot of my favourites from various corners of the globe. My local Chinese is OK for the basics, but they can't rustle up a good fishball noodle or a lavender frog porridge like the hawkers markets in Singapore. And I'm yet to find anywhere that does a zepplini as good as you can get in Lithuania.

I don't miss Russian food though...๐Ÿคข
    Level 77
    @retrotecchie

There is one dish I really miss. It's Manx Queenies ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹. Never found anywhere on the mainland that can cook or prepare them correctly. In fact it's difficult to find restaurants that knows what they are. Silly really considering how close I live to the Isle (70 mile). As for Russian, not madly keen on fish eggs ๐Ÿ˜‚.
    @retrotecchie and @WizzyWigg

Craster kippers are a favourite fish dish up here in Northumberland, named after the coastal village of Craster where they are prepared and smoked in the local smoke house.

I can't imagine Russian food being very appetising๐Ÿคข. I did see Paul Hollywoods City Bakes series, when he was in St. Petersburg. He went to one bakery where they were making pies, and they put vodka in the pastry. Very strange! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
    Community Team
    Water tomato plants regularly to keep the soil or compost evenly moist. Fluctuating moisture levels can cause problems with the fruit, such as splitting or blossom end rot.

Plants in containers dry out quickly, so they may need watering daily in hot weather.

TIP:
    Sink a 15cm (6in) pot into the ground alongside tomato plants and water into it, so the water goes directly down to the roots. The moisture doesnโ€™t then sit around the neck of the plants, which can lead to rotting. ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ‘

Feed every 10 to 14 days with high potassium liquid fertilizer once the fruits show.

Are they bush or cordon toms? If cordon (ie up a cane) side shoots need to be removed regularly.

Aye, this is the most amazing diagram I've seen in a while!! ๐Ÿคฃ

They are up the cane - so I'll make sure to trim them down โœ‚. Off to the garden centre for some feed I go @DebF_EONNext & @retrotecchie ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ - want anything?

@Tommysgirl my in laws love Kippers...MIL comes back with loads when she goes away ๐Ÿคฃ. Lets keep them to that side of the family, deffo not for me ๐Ÿคฎ
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 11-06-23 at 16:38.
    ๐ŸŒ Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    ๐Ÿ‘‰get in touch๐Ÿ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions ๐Ÿ‘‰ HERE ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
    Level 92
    @Tommysgirl

Now talking of pies, I do like a nice pie. Sweet or savoury, matters not. An apple and blackberry pie was one of my Nana's staples when I was a bairn. It was her only culinary success though. Her 'sliceable' lumpy gravy was legendary for all the wrong reasons! Not served with the pie, obviously. ๐Ÿคข

Whenever I visited and asked what was for dinner, her reply was usually 'Wait and See Pudding with Surprise Sauce'. Often turned out to be Mystery Gristle with Unsurprisingly Lumpy Gravy ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Last edited by retrotecchie; 11-06-23 at 16:41.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 77
    @Tommysgirl

Now talking of pies, I do like a nice pie. Sweet or savoury, matters not. An apple and blackberry pie was one of my Nana's staples when I was a bairn. It was her only culinary success though. Her 'sliceable' lumpy gravy was legendary for all the wrong reasons! Not served with the pie, obviously. ๐Ÿคข

Whenever I visited and asked what was for dinner, her reply was usually 'Wait and See Pudding with Surprise Sauce'. Often turned out to be Mystery Gristle with Unsurprisingly Lumpy Gravy ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Pies ๐Ÿ˜‹. Savoury pies ๐Ÿ˜‹. Nothing like a good meat and potato pie. Morecambe FC has got to be the best. ๐Ÿ˜‹ ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Call me a sad old duffer. One thing I miss from my teenage years...Bejam Cheese and Potato Pies ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹. Never found their like since. Iceland is not a patch on Bejam.