Smart Meter Installation Offer - Conflicting Information

Level 10
    Good morning all,

On 13th September I transferred from the Next Flex Tariff to the Next Pledge Tracker 12m v1 Tariff.

Ever since then I've been receiving regular texts, emails, and phone calls urging me to upgrade to a smart meter (please see below):
    Name:  Screenshot2023-12-12105352.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  32.0 KB
    Email sent 24/11 and again on 4/12
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-12-12-10-55-49-224_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  27.1 KB
    Texts sent 22/9, 27/11

While I had some reservations about Smart Meters, when I saw the below offer for up to £100 of bill credit when booking a Smart Meter installation - I finally decided to take the plunge - so I contacted hi@eonnext.com to ask how I could book an installation and benefit from the offer (as the link on my account was simply bringing me back to the dashboard):
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  25.8 KB

I was then asked the following questions - and once I provided answers, was asked to provide pictures of both of my meters.

When they were reviewed I was informed that I already have a Smart Meter (SMETS1 Landis+Gyr E470 - installed under a previous supplier and therefore no longer 'smart' or 'comissioned').

I asked if I could still benefit from the £100 offer and book an appointment to replace both meters - but was then told I would have to wait 6-8 weeks for the relevent team to resolve the issue.

When I mentioned that this timeframe would no longer make me eligible for the £100 credit offer (appointments must be booked before 31/12/23) - I was told that this was for 'new customers only' and I did not qualify. From checking the offer - there is nothing in the small print stipulating that it is for 'new customers' - just that applicants have to be an 'E.ON Next customer who are GB residents aged 18+ and book by 31/12/23:
    Name:  unnamed(1).jpg
Views: 341
Size:  15.8 KB
    above taken from https://www.eonnext.com/smart

When I queried this further - I was told that my record states that 'the customer has a smart meter' - and I am therefore not eligible to have a smart meter installed - despite the months and months of reminder emails, texts, and calls imploring me to upgrade to a smart meter.

I would very much appreciate some advice and clarity on my situation.

Kind regards,

RedBeard89
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @RedBeard89

The screenshots you have posted don't actually mention upgrading to smart meters but rather exchanging your current smart meters for new ones. I would say that the offer is to entice those without smart meters to have them fitted.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 10
    @JoeSoap Note - my gas meter is most definitely not smart. The Electricity meter is arguably 'smart' but due to its SMETS1 generation and being provided by a previous supplier is no longer able to communicate to the network and upload readings to EON.Next. Neither of the current meters were provided by E.ON Next:

See pictures:
    Name:  IMG_20231201_124130.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  38.4 KB
    Gas
    Name:  IMG_20231201_124125.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  40.3 KB
    Electricity
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap Note - my gas meter is most definitely not smart...

That wasn't clear to me from your original post and I can see it's definitely not smart. I would say you are probably eligible for £50 anyway but that's just my interpretation. Presumably you have explained to them, with the aid of the photo, that the meter is not a smart one. If so, and they won't budge, then perhaps a complaint to unhappy@eonnext.com is called for.