Smart Meter - Excessively High Usage

View Tag Cloud
    Level 55
    @Mailman

Just for information, if it were just one circuit causing the problem, would there be any outward sign of the issue- sparking, burning, smell, heat etc that would help track down a fault?

Not at all sure am not a sparky 😥

Re the circuit, the OP mentions in an earlier post the lighting/sockets circuit drawing 2kW per hour irrespective of what is connected to said circuit, hence my final throw of the dice for the OP to check each circuit and at least be in the situation of knowing that it is either (a) just the lighting/socket circuit or (b) any circuit. If it is (b) then my gut instinct tells me that it is a faulty meter for sure. If only (a) then an unknown device (to the OP) permanently plugged in the the lighting/socket circuit.

👍
    Level 10
    I think the final thing to confirm is that I had a scenario where everything was switched on at the fuse box but off at the walls/light sockets and this resulted in a solid impulse light - suggesting no usage. It's only once a device/light was switched on that the impulses kicked in again.
    Level 78
    When you say solid, do you mean solid red or solid black?
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 55
    @Mailman - could you please advise based on this fuse box in the attached? There appear to be two circuits (32A and 6A) on the main box and then an isolator for the electric shower. What would the grounded earth's role be during this test?

From your photos in previous post I see the isolator switch for the shower on the same level as your meter.

However I see more than just the 2 circuits that you stated:

Name:  FuseBox.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  54.2 KB

So 1 and 2 are the trip switches that you mentioned before. 3 has been blanked but there are 3 additional trip switches to the right of this blanked position (I've labelled them 4, 5 and 6 in my screencapture of your photo). Number 4 looks like an RCD (residual current device 30mA trip) breaker that might trip the whole lot if a fault develops saving the human from a very nasty (and possibly life-threatening) experience. It shouldn't be doing anything other than providing safety. So when you test each circuit the main switch should be ON and the RCD should be ON when you test each circuit in turn. 5 and 6 look like 2 additional circuits (rated at 32A and 16A) to test so you have 4 in total. So for me there are 4 circuits to test in total @ positions 1,2,5 and 6
    Level 78
    Solid red

In that case, regardless of anything else... Meter fault confirmed. The Metrology LED should NEVER be solid red.
    Level 10
    From your photos in previous post I see the isolator switch for the shower on the same level as your meter.

However I see more than just the 2 circuits that you stated:

Name:  FuseBox.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  54.2 KB

So 1 and 2 are the trip switches that you mentioned before. 3 has been blanked but there are 3 additional trip switches to the right of this blanked position (I've labelled them 4, 5 and 6 in my screencapture of your photo). Number 4 looks like an RCD (residual current device 30mA trip) breaker that might trip the whole lot if a fault develops saving the human from a very nasty (and possibly life-threatening) experience. It shouldn't be doing anything other than providing safety. So when you test each circuit the main switch should be ON and the RCD should be ON when you test each circuit in turn. 5 and 6 look like 2 additional circuits (rated at 32A and 16A) to test so you have 4 in total. So for me there are 4 circuits to test in total @ positions 1,2,5 and 6

Are 5 and 6 not individual switched linked to the RCD marked 4a-e? I say this as they are also marked 'Earth Fault Trip 4a 4b...
    Community Manager
    @RedBeard89 I'm so sorry to hear that you've not had any joy in getting this resolved, I agree it's not the kind of customer service that you should be receiving and this needs to be resolved for you. I can see that you've since raised a complaint. If you still need help with this please reach out 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 55
    Are 5 and 6 not individual switched linked to the RCD marked 4a-e? I say this as they are also marked 'Earth Fault Trip 4a 4b...

It may well be that the RCD is only tripped if something happens on circuits 4a 4b .... i.e the circuits marked 5 and 6 on my photo and circuits 1 and 2 do not have the benefit provided by RCD protection. If this is the case, irresepective of whether you own the property, there are 2 circuits (1 and 2) not protected by an RCD. If you do own the property maybe get a leccy in for his opinion and quotation to ensure that all circuits have RCD protection.

Having additional RCD protection is an area that suitably qualified people need to advise you on (as I am not a leccy).

I refer you to this RCD Information site for your own reading.
    Last edited by Mailman; 13-10-22 at 13:41.
    Level 55
    In that case, regardless of anything else... Meter fault confirmed. The Metrology LED should NEVER be solid red.

Can you check that this is indeed correct?

The OP, stated in one of his earlier posts

I think the final thing to confirm is that I had a scenario where everything was switched on at the fuse box but off at the walls/light sockets and this resulted in a solid impulse light - suggesting no usage. It's only once a device/light was switched on that the impulses kicked in again.

So this post from Ovo would seem to confirm exactly what you state i.e. a meter fault

Whereas other posts such as this suggest it is quite normal (especially when something is switched on). This appears to match what the OP is experiencing with his meter.

I'm really confused now - bet the OP is as well.