High useage

Level 6
    @Purplerachel123

Looks like your IHD is reading high due to having the wrong tariff rates… ie about 51p/kWh instead of the 34p or so you’re actually being charged. You need to request a tariff update to your IHD through customer service.
    Ok will do
    Level 91
    @Purplerachel123

So to be clear, your IHD says you’ve spent £3.34 on elect when you’ve actually spent about £2.37. Your gas is probably reading high too. Use the kWh readings on gas and elect for the time being and multiply by your tariff rates and add the daily standing charge. These are your real costs.

An email to hi@eonnext.com requesting IHD tariff updates for gas and elect should get results in a couple of weeks.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    [QUOTE=Purplerachel123;24097]
    What would be a daily useage of kilowatts for a 3 bedroom house ?

I have a two bedroom house, no gas. Heating oil boiler. With a fridge in the kitchen, a large upright freezer in the utility and an upright fridge freezer in the pantry, we average between 8kWh a day and 10kWh a day, depending on how often we use the all electric cooker. I work from home and my missus is in all day, so we're in the house most of the time.

I only have a regular electric meter, so I track my usage on a spreadsheet on the computer, taking readings every day if at all possible. You can clearly see on my usage graphs the days when we've used the cooker.

All I need to track is the KWh...the calcs in the spreadsheet keep an eye on the money side of things. I don't have a cash budget, as such...the Standing Charges and unit prices I have no control over. But giving myself a kWh per day budget, I work from that to try and save energy, and hence money. 8kWh is a good target for me. 9 or 10 occasionally I can live with. 12 is a bit too High. So long as my average trends downwards, I'm happy.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 25-11-22 at 13:46.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    [QUOTE=retrotecchie;24106]

I have a two bedroom house, no gas. Heating oil boiler. With a fridge in the kitchen, a large upright freezer in the utility and an upright fridge freezer in the pantry, we average between 8kWh a day and 10kWh a day, depending on how often we use the all electric cooker. I work from home and my missus is in all day, so we're in the house most of the time.

I only have a regular electric meter, so I track my usage on a spreadsheet on the computer, taking readings every day if at all possible. You can clearly see on my usage graphs the days when we've used the cooker.

All I need to track is the KWh...the calcs in the spreadsheet keep an eye on the money side of things. I don't have a cash budget, as such...the Standing Charges and unit prices I have no control over. But giving myself a kWh per day budget, I work from that to try and save energy, and hence money. 8kWh is a good target for me. 9 or 10 occasionally I can live with. 12 is a bit too High. So long as my average trends downwards, I'm happy.

see my numbers off the app you suggested says £3.16 per day yesterday alone was £8 and today it’s on £3.78 with no washing machine being on
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Level 91
    @Purplerachel123

I can't make out any detail in the first image but I can see your latest daily electric usage is 18.73kWh. Three of us live in a 4 bed detached and our daily elect usage is about the same at around 18kWh. I think we would use about the same regardless of whether we were in a three bed semi or a four bed det. Gas would be more due to the heating.

I can clearly see that the tariff rates for gas and elect are correct so at least you know what you see on the app is going to be pretty accurate. Have you had a look at historical data down to hourly or half-hourly intervals. We use about 0.2kWh elect on an hourly basis overnight as a norm and zero gas until the water comes on at 6am.

Also, compare yesterday's usage and cost on the app (which we know should be fairly accurate) to what it says for yesterday on the IHD (which we suspect is reading too high in £££s).

Figures on the app can take several hours to update so going back a day or two gives more accurate readings.

See my post below re your gas daily charge.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 25-11-22 at 14:50. Reason: Added a bit.
    Level 91
    @Purplerachel123

I've just noticed that your gas standing charge looks high. I would expect to see around 27p/day for that. What does it say in your online account?
    Level 91
    see my numbers off the app you suggested says £3.16 per day yesterday alone was £8 and today it’s on £3.78 with no washing machine being on
    @Purplerachel123

I think the £3.16 you are seeing may be today's usage so far or even yesterday's that hasn't caught up yet. Try to get used to the app and analyse your historical usage in hours, days, weeks etc. You need to build up a mental picture to get used to your normal usage.

It's quite difficult doing this from seeing snapshots but keep asking and we'll keep trying our best to answer. It may still be there's something using more electricity than it should and by turning things for a while and comparing the consumption in kWh in the app with the same historical period will help nail it down.

I'm hoping other members, @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn @theunknowntech @Mailman are keeping an eye on me here and verifying the advice I'm dishing out.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap
    @Purplerachel123

I'm guessing things will take a day or two to ripple through, bur we only isolated the oven yesterday evening, so will take a day or two for that to really begin to show up. Your latest estimates of use for the month are showing as £134 odd for electric and £21 something for gas, which is around £150 a month but that's about right after the October price rises if you were originally paying around £100 a month. You'll use a little more energy in the dark evenings and winter months, so with the price rises too, you aren't actually that far out, financially...not anywhere the scary £300 you were initially estimating based on your top ups.

You see the jagged green arrow on your app to the right of the daily electricity cost? That means your electricity usage is trending downwards. That daily cost is the rolling average, not the actual cost, which is the £3 odd shown below. Without the oven, and as the rolling average adjusts itself, that trend should continue, hopefully. I'd still be inclined to see what else you have plugged in that's consuming energy in the background. Can you tell us the make and model of your fridge? Would be nice to know that to help estimate your baseline consumption.

But keep an eye over the next few days, that average daily cost should begin to decrease with time, now the oven isn't ticking over 24/7.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 25-11-22 at 15:37.
    Level 91
    @Purplerachel123

I'm not sure if you've noticed the Electricity and Gas tabs at the bottom of the Bright App screen. This is where you need to go to see a breakdown of your usage right down to half-hourly intervals. You can toggle between Energy (kWh) and Cost(£) using the three dots at the top right of the screen.
    Level 92
    @Purplerachel123

I'm an engineer, and electrical troubleshooting and fault-finding is what I do best. My fellow comrade @JoeSoap is pretty clued up on the monitoring and tracking of consumption and will certainly be able to assist as much as possible with helping you find your way around on the app. Me, less so as I don't have a smart meter and do things the old fashioned way with reading a conventional meter and then running the numbers on the laptop.

Between us, we hope we can get you into a better place. 👍😎